Paul Gauguin sports platform/Excursions etc.

Tika

Hi everyone here on CC,

I just received an email from a fellow cruiser also embarking on the PG with us this coming Sept. 23,2006. She inquired if they are still using the retractable Sports Platform and mentioned that she heard it was not being used because of security issues. Does anyone here know???????????????????

Should we book excursions here on line? This will be our second PG cruise..........and now for fourteen days....book excursions here and now.......just in case we might miss some new adventure. What excursions do you all recommend?....I am content just to be on board and visit the islands again on our own time as we did do several great excursions first time but in a bit of a whirlwind!

Does anyone know if Sligo is still performing or have they have replaced them with a new band?????????? We will be so sad not to have Sligo on board..as for us they are as much of the PG as the beautiful Gauguines.

Counting the days until Paradise..........trying to organize minimal packing.......Will my bottle of Woolite exploded due to pressure in my checked baggage???????????

Can we bring contact lens solution on board the plane in our carry on for ATN? I am reading all kinds of new restrictions but so far nothing about contact lens wearers plus now need a RX for everything.

Sorry if too long here..........just hoping someone understands and will respond ASAP.

Hey Tika, so you are off again. Good for you girl......you must have been bitten by that Tahitian flu. Say it isn't so about the Sports Platform. Please check back and let us know if it's true after your cruise. Your Woolite will not explode if you dump a little of it out before packing.......just enough to leave some headspace at the top for expansion of the contents. I did this on a recent trip to Britain and everything was intact and dry when I landed. My hair condtioner that I forgot to empty a bit out of was leaking all over but luckily I had it in a ziplock bag. Copied this from the Air Tahiti Nui website, looks the same as the American rules.

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers the following items are permitted.

Liquid prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket

Up to 5 oz. (148ml) of liquid or gel low blood sugar treatment

Up to 4 oz. of essential non-prescription liquid medications including saline solution, eye care products.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#0

Happy Cruising!

Pat

The following is an extract from the RSSC website.

Watersports PlatformWatersports are a highlight of the Polynesian experience. The ship's small size allows it to navigate in shallow lagoons and narrow channels where larger ships may not sail. With the specially designed retractable watersports platform, guests may descend to sea level where they can conveniently hop aboard a windsurfer, launch a kayak, try a little waterskiing or set out for a SCUBA diving expedition. A scuba certification program is offered on board.

Based on this there is no reason to expect that the platform will not be open on our cruise. However I have read that for safety reasons swimming and snorkelling from the platform is not permitted. I understand you need to first go on shore and then swim or snorkel from there or from another boat.

As for excursions we have booked for the two twilight catamaran cruises. our daughter and her husband will pre-book some of the diving/snorkelling excursions but we will wait till we get on board to find out about the other options.

As a past PG cruiser do you have any ideas about other excursions we should not miss?

Perhaps other past PG cruisers could help us decide.

Also does anyone have any experience as to how rough the seas could be in September?

There is some information on the cc ship review page as follow:

But: for now, due to enhanced security measures, the ship has closed the platform and in destinations without private islands sets up a floating marina. All nautical gear is free except for scuba gear.

We just returned from PG (Aug 23 - Sept 2)...platform was open. It's for khyak, water ski, windsurf, etc., just not for sorkeling, etc.

Suspect with ship moving around a little, it's too dangerous to swim there. Schedule is posted on the daily bulletin.

Also, the platform staff took the khyaks onto the motu at Bora Bora and Taha'a. Very nice.

My understanding is that prior to 9/11 the sports platform was open for swimming and snorkeling in addition to the other water activities. Then, for security reasons it was completely shut for period of time. As cubaol reported from very recent cruise they found it open for waterski, windsurf, kayak etc. as it has been for majority of the time since it reopened. I believe that the policy since 9/11 is that during periods of the highest alert status it is closed, otherwise it is open as cubaol found it to be.

Cubaol - can you answer the question of whether Siglo is back? I'm sure glad they were onboard for our 2004 and 2005 cruises, they are the perfect band for the PG.

Tika - yes, book the excursions you know that you want online now. Remember, you can always cancel once on board (if you do it within the time allowed - usually 24 hours ahead) if you find something else you would rather do. A few of the more popular excursions fill up by boarding time. Be sure to check your tickets from the excursions desk first thing when you embark to learn if they have you down for each one you requested. Sometimes there are changes or one was missed.

Gmeg - It's always a good idea to have some sort of sea sickness remedy with you. I prefer Bonine. I've used it a few times in June and late August-early September on the PG. The generic form is available at the registration desk onboard.

Excursions - pick what you like. We love snorkeling so we choose those. Moorea Lagoon and Discovery was great. If you're into wave-runners, Bora Bora is preferred over Moorea.

Thanks all for the informative responsives to my post. One more question at this moment not answered................."Sligo".........Band............Entertainment..........are they still on board or have they been replaced with a new Group????????????

I have heard that Siglo (note the spelling) is gone, and may return at some point. Siglo himself, the leader, had planned to retire, so I'm not sure what the story is, but it's some kind of health concern for some member of the band. But do tell us when you come back, I too would miss Siglo terribly, they have been a highlight our trips.

I believe that the 9/11 story about the sports platform is apocryphal, but I could be wrong. We were on her in April 2003, and the platform was in use, but during that cruise, it was damaged on the coral, and was withdrawn from use for some time for repairs. That's the extent of my knowledge, but I have heard nothing lately that indicates it's closed. Remember, you can't just swim or snorkel from it. You can kayak or windsurf, and the diving trips leave from there.

Wendy,

Thanks about the correct spelling............at least I was close...........:>)!

Sounds like it is not an issue about the sports platform but I inquired because someone here surfing CC was very concerned.

We are booked in 7003..................LOL..............should be interesting and fun..............we're bring some of our favorite music and it is not classical opera !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We leave in just two weeks..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I met some CCers here who will also be on board...........any suggestions as how we all can connect for the sail away.................???????? We all arrive & board at different times etc. with some flying in direct and then to the ship without a sleepover. We will be cruising for fourteen days..........any excursions you recommend would be appreciated. This will be our second PG cruise but the first was for only 7 days and did most everything sightseeing etc. Now we go to Huahine, Aitutaki, Rarontonga, Tubuai & Rangiroa. Also Taha'a Motu Mahana which should be awesome.

Wendy,

I am so shocked and saddened................you mean "NO Sail Away" venue when the PG embarks from Papeete for the cruise??????????????????? I remember so many wonderful things about that evening leaving port in Papeete and the Gauguines singing and dancing, the music, stars and everyone filled with the anticipation of a wonderful journey................What happened????????????

Tika, we were on the July 22 PG sailing, and true, there was no sail away.....the ship leaves PPT at around 2:30 in the morning I believe. We were sound asleep by then! I think this is due to the fact that so many passengers are arriving on late flights. We arrived in time for a late dinner. We still had a fantastic evening!

However, the sports platform is very much open!

Thanks Everyone for your responses to my posts. We are getting sooooooo excited and so close to our adventure ............just a few days, Friday 9/22 and we're off to JFK .......ATN .......Papeete & the Paul Gauguin. I have met two other couples here on CC and we plan to meet for dinner in L'Etoile once underway.

The most ridiculous thing for me is the packing............I remember just wearing bathing suits, shorts, my coverup mostly daytime and evenings were nice outfits casual.....capris etc. Somehow I just can't limit myself to packing a little of this and that just in case...........such worries lol!!!!!!!!

I am spinning with all the logistics here on the home front while we are away in Paradise. Come next Friday afternoon we are out the door.....Amen...off to JFK and ATN to Papette and the Paul Gauguin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GMeg,

Sure hoping to meet you all once on board!!!!!!!!!!!! There are three other couples here in CC beside us also on board and we are trying to plan to meet for Cocktails or Dinner or both Sunday 9/24. Whatever everyone wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are in 7003.........Mary Jane & Tom Carey .......New Jersey. If interested in meeting us please do not hesitate to contact me :>)!

MJ (Tika)

Archived