Oct. weather for NE/Canada cruise

Truffle

Just booked a cruise for Oct. 11 on Celebrity Constellation for New England and Canada and we are so excited!! We will be belatedly celebrating my 50th B-day (July.) It's extra exciting because it was a little unexpected, and romantic as it will just be the two of us this time!!

Anyway, being desert rats in Las Vegas, it's been many years since my husband or I have experienced east coast fall weather. I know that it's never a sure thing but I am trying to get a handle on the TYPICAL fall weather/temps for the region. I am terrible with judging temperature by numbers, so what I'm trying to figure out is, are we talking cords/light weight wool pants/jeans and sweaters/sweatshirts for shore excursions, or heavier jackets as well? How about a blazer? Any chance of shorts/sundresses with a sweater and pool weather on deck on sea days or is that wishful thinking? (I guess if the weather is that warm we wouldn't be seeing much color in the folieage?) I DO know to layer and bring a rainjacket and umbrella, but I'm trying to juge the weight of the layers I guess! Will we need gloves and hats?

Also, we are going to be in Quebec City. Is it any more formal there as far as daytime wear? What would one wear to go on a city tour or into a nice restraunt for lunch? ( Would smartcasual be appropriate or too dressed?) For dinner--semi-formal attire or a dinner suit?

As for formal and informal evenings, do you tend to wear your darker colors and heavier weight dresses/gowns or do you also wear pastels and chiffons and satins? Every fall or winter cruise we have ever done has been to warmer climates, except South America, and that ran the gamut from tropical to freezing because of the itinerary, but was a holiday cruise, so people tended to wear their holiday oriented finery (velvets, jewel colors, etc.) and dressed up a bit more in general. I think we are set for casual nights.

Any help from the cruise sisters will be appreciated!!

Truffles, I have the same dillemma. We leave from N.Y. 9/26. So far I've decided to wear my long sleave silk suits at dinner. Slacks, knitted tops and jackets for shore excursions, skirts/pants and knitted tops for sea days. To ensure I have packed sufficient clothing items I make a list of what I intend to wear each day. I do not tolerate the cold weather easily, but have been looking foreward to seeing New England in the fall for a long time.

Truffles, I have the same dillemma. We leave from N.Y. 9/26. So far I've decided to wear my long sleave silk suits at dinner. Slacks, knitted tops and jackets for shore excursions, skirts/pants and knitted tops for sea days. To ensure I have packed sufficient clothing items I make a list of what I intend to wear each day. I do not tolerate the cold weather easily, but have been looking foreward to seeing New England in the fall for a long time.

if I were you I would definately make sure I had at least one polarfleece pullover and a couple of turtlenecks on hand for shore. Late october is tricky up here...you are likely to have weather in the 40's-50's for most of the time but you could get lucky and experience an "indian summer" day with weather that reaches high 60's. as for on the boat. i would definately not plan on pool days...in fact standard wear around here is a leather jacket on the water...enjoy the fall show! My personal favorite season around here. simply glorious and it should be dynamic this year as the weather has been just right with proper amounts of rain and not too hot temps!!!

In Texas it will still be very warm at that time. I realize that even the weather folks can't predict that far ahead but would appreciate some help with planning. Attire for daytime excursions along the way and how cool when we get to Quebec? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived