Bermuda

Sky Sweet

A number of people have posted that they didn't miss having a Balcony on Zenith because the ship is docked in Bermuda for most of that cruise. Others have commented that since the actual cruise experience itself is limited to one day of travel in each direction, the lack of amenities on this older ship was not an issue either. If that is the case, what is the advantage of taking a cruise on an older ship that lacks amenities to taking a land based vacation in Bermuda at a first class resort?

A number of people have posted that they didn't miss having a Balcony on Zenith because the ship is docked in Bermuda for most of that cruise. Others have commented that since the actual cruise experience itself is limited to one day of travel in each direction, the lack of amenities on this older ship was not an issue either. If that is the case, what is the advantage of taking a cruise on an older ship that lacks amenities to taking a land based vacation in Bermuda at a first class resort?

Although there may be others, one word: Price.

The cost of airfare, hotel and 3 meals a day would probably be a minimum of double the cost of Zenith (we've explored the possibility). Plus, Zenith is not without amenities, it is just missing some things that we (and others, obviously) don't place a high priority on. We love dining in an alternative restaurant, but the lack of one is of no concern. We get balconies if the price is reasonable, but have done Zenith/Horizon 3x in the last 18 months and didn't miss the balcony a bit (as you mentioned, you are docked for 3+ days--2 of which you would be staring at Front St. --and Front St. staring at you--on a balcony.) It's a great little ship, with great service and crew, to a great island, at a reasonable price.

Actually, we have done that cruise and I think it would have been nice to have a balcony -- even looking out on Front St.

On the other hand, the fact that this is such a small ship means it is possible for them to dock right at the land's edge. The larger ships need to either sit out in the bay and have folks tendered in or berth at the newer docks way on other side of the island away from everything else.

Plus, not whether a larger ship could even get through St. George's cut. The Zenith barely made it.

We are about to find out......We focused in on Bermuda as a destination first. Our goal was a 4 night getaway. In my research for a great resort, I happened to come across the Zenith as an alternative to the air/landbased trip. After pricing, and considering the shear convenience of the cruise, it seems like the thing to do. The drive to the ship, in our case will be one hour - the same as our drive to the airport if Newark (longer if he had to go to JFK). From what I read here, the vacation begins almost right away with little parking/admistrative/baggage hassles. I hate airports, especially since recent events. Just the thought of flying/making hotel transfer arrangements, was a negative. Also, as lovely as I know the resorts are, Bermuda seems to be a place to really explore - unlike some islands where you might not feel as safe or motivated to leave the resort itself. We are traveling in October and are pretty much tired of the normal summer activities - like lying out in the sun by the pool. The ship is docked within the port cities - so I think it might make us feel like we are in a hotel of sorts - no tendering or watching the city lights from a far-off industrial seaport like on larger ships. The location of the ship and the length of the stay in port also gives us freedom to linger a bit more than we would be able to if we were always looking for a shuttle back to a shipyard. Less looking at the watch I think, and more freedom to make plans, and then change our minds and do something else instead. I don't like investing a day into a particular activity knowing there will be no time to make an alternative plan in the event it isn't what we had in mind. Less shore excursion remorse, I guess you'd say. The cost of the cruise is so low that we can justify going to nice Bermudian restaurants whenever we want while there - maybe breakfast and lunch on the ship/dinner in Hamilton one night; brunch at a resort the next day. Food in Bermuda is known to be expensive, and if we stayed at a resort, we would have limited options - hard to justify going off the MAP when your paying an arm and a leg. We still get 4 days in Bermuda, but we get a full 7 day vacation. I love the idea of a couple of days at sea and doing the formal nights - it's something different that we wouldn't be doing at the resorts necessarily. I am looking forward to meeting seasoned cruisers, but it's also a trip that is not all about "the cruise" itself, since we are docked in one place so long. I really think it will be the best of both worlds. My one concern/worry is rough seas. That could be the thing that returns me to land for the next vacation. Hopefully, it will be a great trip and we'll have no regrets. So, that's my thinking anyway! I'd love to hear from others about their actual experiences though!

Hopefully, it will be a great trip and we'll have no regrets. So, that's my thinking anyway! I'd love to hear from others about their actual experiences though!

Think you are pretty darn prepared! As I said, we've done this run 3x recently (and would do it again)...it is a great trip. As for the seas, you are on the open Atlantic, so things are variable. We've had things a little rocky (this spring) and smooth as glass (last fall). It's all weather dependent but wouldn't worry about it too much. Have a great trip!

Betty,

I agree with everything you said and the price is much better than we could do with airfare, hotel, meals, etc. Re: rocky seas - just take a Bonine before bedtime the night that you sail - buy the 24 hour kind and not only will you sleep well, you're not likely to be bothered by the Atlantic. I've rarely been seasick, but still take one when rough seas are predicted. Better than missing a day of my cruise! Enjoy! We're booked for next May so will be watching for trip reports.

I am thinking of a Bermuda cruise next summer.

I was wondering what side of the ship looks over the pier, when docked? Would this be the best side or not?

Thanks

The short answer is, both sides. In Hamilton, the starboard side faces town. In St. George, the port side faces the town.

As to which side of the ship it is better to be on--that's up to you. Keep in mind that if you are on a lower deck on the starboard side (as my wife & I were last autumn), your stateroom view in Hamilton may not be of much more than the side of the terminal building... whereas, a stateroom on the port side would offer a somewhat panoramic view of the harbour & of Paget--quite nice.

Whichever side of the ship you choose for your stateroom, you'll be in Bermuda--which isn't a bad thing at all.:)

1 - We want to see Bermuda -- the Zenith actually spends four days in port (including three nights -- almost like a resort on the water)

2 - As usual, every time we price a land vacation vs. a cruise vacation, price-wise the cruise vacation always wins hands down. We love not fretting over where to go for dinner or if we can afford to pay for that fancy dessert. And this fall, the Zenith is definitely offering what I call a reasonable price! A resort that would provide accomodations and food that are as nice as those found aboard ship would be very pricey -- especially in Bermuda.

3 - Hurricane season (we leave on Saturday) -- on a land based trip in Hurricane territory at this time of year we could literally be trapped (island bound) by a large storm and have to survive in, shall we say, uncomfortable, at best, surroundings until able to get a flight out. Cruise ships move -- if the storm is in the way, the ships have radar and will go another direction. If the storm aims at the island after we arrive, the ship will leave early and take us elsewhere. We have been on other cruises in Hurricane season and have always been kept safe and, as much as possible, in relatively calm seas.

We leave Saturday and will find out if we guessed it correctly.

I prefer the cruise. I want a mindless vacation where everything is done for me, right down to knowing where to go for my meals and having a table waiting. At a land based vacation, I still feel the need to make lots of choices. On a cruise, maybe just because I am so familiar with them, I know all those things and it hardly seems like I need to make a choice.

And docked on Front Street on Wednesdays I love to walk right off the ship and do the street fair thing. The larger ships don't fit there.

Plus with a cruise, you may only get those two glorious days on the sea but they sure beat sitting in an airport.

So, SS, are you planning a trip to Bermuda on Z?

Hi, love reading all the posts. Please keep in mind that if a tropical storm comes towards or near Bermuda, the ship will leave port. The captain may or may not decide to go to another port further away. My husband and I were on NCL Crown last September (Labor Day week). We were in Hamilton on a Wed. for 6 hours before Hurricane Nate came our way. We left port, came towards the U.S., then drifted 90 miles off the coast of Atlantic City from Thursday until Sunday morning when we disembarked in NY. Frustrating, since we were only off the ship for a total of 6 hours. We're booked for the Zenith 6/16/07, hopefully we can see the rest of the country and not get threatened by any more storms!

I would like to express my appreciation to everyone who responded to my post, and shared their experiences with Bermuda Cruises. We live in the Northeast and the thought of taking a cruise, without having to fly to the port city, is very enticing :)

We've done two Bermuda cruises on Zenith - both very enjoyable... and I agree with all of the posts above about convenience and cost.

But.... after two cruises there ( with rough seas on both trips, both ways) I would really like to fly and spend at least a week there. There are some affordable cottage rentals ( search Bermuda rentals or Bermuda getaway) which I am giving consideration to for our next Bermuda trip.

We have been booking balconies for several years now and was very fretful about our August 5th, 2006 cruise to Bermuda on the Zenith without a balcony. But not to fear, it was fantastic!! Had a blast and like many others, I priced the trip by land and found the ship about 1/2 the cost, plus you get all the extras the ship offers. It was very convienent being able to walk right off the ship and be in downtown!! Just be careful, too many rum swizzles, and the ship might be hard to find!!!!

Now saying that, I think that after you have cruised to Bermuda a couple of times, and get the "feel" of the island, it would be nice to fly back and spend 4-5 days in a hotel/motel/cottage. You would know exactly what you wanted to spend more time visiting and exactly where you wanted to stay.

Either way, you won't go wrong.

Archived