Galapagos Trips

spindrift

Agree, it all depends on the weather, we were there inFBeb 05, and had fantastic weather.

Great! Someone who has done this trip in February! We are going the first week of February 2007. How was the sea temperature for snorkeling? From the charts showing the average temperatures, it looks like one of the warmest times of the year. We are planning on just taking shortie wetsuits. As for on land, did it get particularly hot during the excursions? It looks like the timing avoids the hottest part of the day, but I’m trying to make sure we have a suitable combination of long sleeved vs. short sleeved shirts and long pants vs. shorts.

With respect to the scarves, are they wool or something else? I have heard great things about Alpaca products. Are they readily available at most shopping locations?

Thanks!

I think I have read that the cruise ship will supply wet suits.

Yes, I have heard that they supply wetsuits, but I consider that a pretty personal item to borrow. Not quite like borrowing a bathing suit, but close. Fit is also really important since if it doesn't fit properly, a wetsuit is useless. We already have our own, so we will bring them. I'm just trying to confirm that a shortie in February will be adequate for snorkelling.

Hi George & Sara,

I lost your e-mail address, so if you could send me some of your underwater photos at sprovo@apr.com, I'd really appreciate it! I went and looked at the Canon S3 IS. Sweet camera!! The clerk said he thought they might be coming out with the next generation of this one in a few months. If it has a 2.5" LCD I might consider waiting and buying that. If not, I'll get the S3. Found a Fantasea underwater housing for my Nikon Coolpix 7900 (Nikon's underwater case is discontinued), but didn't know if the $140 is justified. I'll check out your underwater photos first!! :-)

Thanks,

Suzie Provo

sprovo@apr.com

Someone mentioned alpaca stuffed animals in a gift shop on the islands or maybe it was in Quito? (I think there are 2 places on the trip where you walk through a town?) I have several clients and friends with small children, and those would make great gifts. Does anyone remember where they are available, and approx. cost? Also while in the Galapagos do they accept credit cards in the Darwin Center shop or on this other island, or should one carry cash?

I know I am there mainly to see the amazing animals , sights and scenery, but a little shopping for the folks back home is always in order!!!

Suzie

Yes, I have heard that they supply wetsuits, but I consider that a pretty personal item to borrow. Not quite like borrowing a bathing suit, but close. Fit is also really important since if it doesn't fit properly, a wetsuit is useless. We already have our own, so we will bring them. I'm just trying to confirm that a shortie in February will be adequate for snorkelling.

In talking to the CD on our cruise about different issues (I'm a TA), he mentioned that they "sanitize" the wetsuits after each cruise. He didn't say how and I didn't think to ask. As far as fit goes (I neither snorkel or scuba so I have no idea either way) as I recall there was only person who had a problem. A lady of, shall we say, a "certain size" who couldn't find one that fit properly. My wife's (who snorkels any chance she gets) fit like it had been made for her. Something to consider that may save some space in your suitcases.

Thanks Roland. Since we have the wetsuits and they aren't big, heavy, thick ones, we'll likely pack them. If we find they are too light and we are cold, we’ll have the option to use one of Celebrity’s long wetsuits. However, I am considering not taking fins and using Celebrity's since fins likely weigh more than the wetsuit. Did they have the option to choose between full foot (bare foot in fin) and strap (bootie over foot with heel strap) fins? I had a job where I snorkelled every day and noticed that the strap fins let me generate a lot more power without a lot more effort. With the advanced snorkels, it sounds like this might be beneficial.

Andrea

The ones my wife had were the full foot fins and I do believe they were all the same. At least all the ones I saw (and I was one of the only 8 out 58 passengers who didn't go) going out on the first snorkelling excursion were the full foot. I think I read on another thread those type are all they have. I must say my wife loved the snorkelling and had her "Galapagos moment", nose to mask with a young sea lion, within five minutes of entering the water on the first trip. She did admit that by the end of the week, she was "snorkelled out". We were on the second last trip before the new itinerary and, from my conversation with the CD, the snorkelling at Devil's Crown on the new itinerary is supposed to be spectacular.

NOAA certainly thinks the water will be warming, El Nino looks to be returning.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2699.htm

Not good news for some of the species in the GPS. This link gives you an idea of the water temp increases, looks like 4+ degrees C.

http://*****.com/ptlhb

I read that el Nino brought heavy rains to Ecuador and Chile last time. I wonder how this will affect the weather in the Galapagos.

I read that el Nino brought heavy rains to Ecuador and Chile last time. I wonder how this will affect the weather in the Galapagos.

Generally the same ... wet and warm. Generally good for land species and vegetation but the lack of seawater upwelling leaves the plankton well below the surface. The marine food supply drops and the sea lions, marine iguanas, and sea birds suffer.

Frank

2 ideas---Lightweight colorful scarves-inxpensive,easy to pack,beautiful,they are everywhere.2007 calandars of the Galapagos---your friends will be green with envy when thay see how amazing your trip was.

:) Hi drfun,

They start out the trip selling these beautiful scarves outside the churches you visit in Quito.

When we got to the market the last day, I was able to buy them 5/10.00 just by asking. They have red coral necklaces there and some pretty silver items. They just didn't give us enough time to shop as we had to hurry back and go to dinner. If anyone wants to get me a few more scarves, I'd gladly pay them. They also had lovely shops at the Quito airport, but security took so long, we had little time. The pottery at the hotel is lovely and reasonable. They wrapped each piece for us. I wonder if I can get more shipped to me? I didn't buy enough. Anyway, you'll all have a great time.

We would go back in a minute.

Enjoy,

Dorothy & Morty mrs_z@bellsouth.net

Dorothy and Morty,

I, too, didn't buy as much of the pottery as I wish I had. I've been trying to contact the gift shop at the hotel (several later passengers got email address for me) but the address didn't work. I do have a catalogue from which it can be ordered at a much higher price - will be glad to send you the address if you'd like.

They start out the trip selling these beautiful scarves outside the churches you visit in Quito.

When we got to the market the last day, I was able to buy them 5/10.00 just by asking. They have red coral necklaces there and some pretty silver items. They just didn't give us enough time to shop as we had to hurry back and go to dinner. If anyone wants to get me a few more scarves, I'd gladly pay them. They also had lovely shops at the Quito airport, but security took so long, we had little time. The pottery at the hotel is lovely and reasonable. They wrapped each piece for us. I wonder if I can get more shipped to me? I didn't buy enough. Anyway, you'll all have a great time.

Enjoy,

If you still need the scarves in January-email me in December-I go again on the 25th of December. drfun48@hotmail.com.

Another suggestion,go to the roll call and see who is going in the next month or two. Someone there is likely to be able to help you. As you know-all Celebrity Galapagos visitors are wonderful people. Good luck and email me if you still need me.

Are the scarves from the Quito market that we visit on the last day of the trip?

I am definitely not the camera person in the family but I know my husband just purchased a Nikon SLR digital camera that we had to have for this trip!! But he also got a storer/viewer that will keep a gizillion pics from the cards and he wont have to haul the laptop and make CD's along the way...or least that is how he justified that purchase!!!

deec-

Can you tell me more about the storer/viewer your husband bought?

Enjoy,

Dorothy & Morty-

We're leaving the day after Thanksgiving. We' be happy to pick up scarves for you if you want. (cathy@caltel.com). Do you know if the hotel offered shipping?

Dorothy & Morty-

We're leaving the day after Thanksgiving. We' be happy to pick up scarves for you if you want. (cathy@caltel.com). Do you know if the hotel offered shipping?

Thanks so much, I'd like about 5 more. I'll contact you to send you a check and postage. I hope you get the same prices as I was quoted, you know, Christmas is coming. :) The little girls selling at the church or the women there absolutely wouldn't bargain. But the Mercado was willing in everything we purchased. I'll get in touch and also, find out about the shipping as I'm going to go to JW's website. Note: the hotel starts you off with 2 bottles of water. Everywhere you went with Celebrity on the ship and tours had loads of extra water. Don't buy from the hotel. By the way, the breakfast buffet at the hotel was excellent. A great place.

Best regards and thanks,

Dorothy & Morty-

Thanks so much, I'd like about 5 more. I'll contact you to send you a check and postage. I hope you get the same prices as I was quoted, you know, Christmas is coming. :) The little girls selling at the church or the women there absolutely wouldn't bargain. But the Mercado was willing in everything we purchased. I'll get in touch and also, find out about the shipping as I'm going to go to JW's website. Note: the hotel starts you off with 2 bottles of water. Everywhere you went with Celebrity on the ship and tours had loads of extra water. Don't buy from the hotel. By the way, the breakfast buffet at the hotel was excellent. A great place.

Best regards and thanks,

One more comment about the scarves and prices in general at the markets in Quito. The initial prices are very good by our standards. The poverty experienced by most of the indigenous people is stark. We decided not to try to bargain (as long as the inital prices seemed fair for what we were purchasing) in order to help out the people and the local economy. After staying at the JW, the contrast of the little children begging was pretty severe, so we just enjoyed learning more about the places and people and considered purchases as our contributions. Note: we did not give money to beggars but did see the poverty as we drove threw the city. Just MHO.

Best regards and thanks,

Sounds like a plan! Let's discuss the details via email, so we don't completely hi-jack this thread!:D

Decided to bring along the digital camcorder on the trip. There will be 6 of us in my party, so I'm going to give the camera to each person for a day or so, so the finished film will reflect things that each person thought were important to include. Plus everyone will be in the film:-).

Only 102 days till the cruise!!

George & Sara; thanks for the underwater photos. Remarkable quality for disposable cameras!

Suzie

the name of the viewer/storer is an EPSON P 2000

my husband says you can see it at Epson.com or at Ritz camera stores

He said it will hold 40 gb's of pics.

the view finder is large enough to dump pics that are obviously bad.

It sure will be easier than dragging our lap top.

the name of the viewer/storer is an EPSON P 2000

my husband says you can see it at Epson.com or at Ritz camera stores

He said it will hold 40 gb's of pics.

the view finder is large enough to dump pics that are obviously bad.

It sure will be easier than dragging our lap top.

Thanks Dee!

Archived