Carnival Liberty - Maiden Voyage

lorideco

I am thinking about the Carnival Liberty cruise to Europe for next Summer. July is a better month for me. Is July 20th the maiden voyage and what are the chances of the ship not being ready and they cancel the cruise? I've heard of some cruise lines doing that and I am wondering how Carnival is with their dates.

A ship yard can always run into problems with a new build but I have to say that Carnival has a great track record on getting their new ships out on schedule. As a matter of fact, they are usually finished about a week ahead of schedule with Carnival throwing in some last minute cruises prior to the original maiden voyage.

Marge, a friend and I are also booked for the October 12 cruise. I've been checking to see when they post their excursions. I'm considering hiring a private tour guide in Livorno to see Pisa (we don't really want to climb the tower... just see it) and Florence (I definitely want time to see David at the Accademia and tour the Uffizi). But it's a long way out and I'm waiting to see what the cruise line has to offer in each port.

We're planning to spend a few days in Rome prior to the voyage, but don't know if we'll take a package from Carnival. We might just find a hotel on our own.

Cathy AKA OhJinkies

• 2 months later...

WE are also booked on the Maiden Voyage. WE were in Rome last summer and it was amazing. I would suggest at least 2-3 days worth of sight seeing prior to the cruise. This way, you will also have some time to adjust to the time change and the jet lag before being on the ship. It made more sense to do it this way so as not to be sleeping through ports of call! In Rome, we really enjoyed the Ancient Rome tour first thing in the morning because it is obviously all outside and it does get quite warm!!! We hired our own tour guide for the Vatican and Sistine Chapel tour it was very much worth it. If you can gather a group of 12-15 people here on the boards that would like to go in on the cost with you, I have the name of a wonderful and affordable guide who can take you in to the Collasium and the Vatican without waiting in line! This is a BIG DEAL! The line at the Vatican started around 6:00am and was winding around multiple blocks by 8:00am when we arrived. Tour groups are allowed to walk right in at 8:30am with thier guides. The rest of people in line wait unitl 9:00am and enter with literally hundreds of others!! I will post more later regarding Spanish Steps, cab costs, hotels and food later!

Ciao!

We are also booked on the Maiden Voyage, July 20. The excursions are posted on the Carnival web site except for Rome, which I assume will be available as an pre or post stay option. I am really excited about this particular cruise as we have never been on a maiden voyage. I asked others who have sailed on an inauguaral cruise to share their experiences but no one replied.

Guest Crazeecat5

Hi all,

My DH and I are booked on the second voyage, Aug. 1st. We hired a private driver in Cannes and Florence. We are also waiting for the pre and post cruise info so we can book a hotel, the air and transfers all together.

Sheryl

Finally some folks who are also booked on the 20 July. I was starting to think I was the only one. We are booked , family of 4, 2 kids 15 and 11.Planning on going 5-6 days earlier. Is it necessary to book private guides so far in advance?

Count me and my wife in too for July 20th! We're booked and deposited!!

Glad I found this thread, can someone enlighten me to some questions:

1) My wife would like to know how many formal nights - we're guessing between 3 and 4, but, if anyone has the true number, it would be appreciated!

2) We're doing a pre-cruise stay in Rome. Any hotel suggestions? We're currently booked at the Intercontinental on top of the Spanish Steps but, if you know of a better hotel, please suggest it!

3) Has anyone done an inaugural cruise before? If so, what should we expect? Will there be a lot of fanfare?

Really looking forward to this one! Has roll call be started yet?

Vinnie

We're also booked on the Inaugural cruise and a family of 4, with two girls who will be 14 and 12 at time of sailing. Looking at booking an apt.in Rome for a few days pre-cruise. There's lots to choose from and certainly seems cheaper than many hotels I've been pricing.

We haven't actually booked yet as we're still trying to narrow down the search to include air conditioning and ideally 2 bedrooms. Couple of websites you might try- romanaccommodations.com, or Romeby.com. We have found a lot of apartments in the 140-150 euros range which is cheaper than many hotels plus you can save money by eating in, especially breakfast with all that wonderful bread and cheese available available.

I'm booking air RT form my home airpot FNT thru Detroit to Rome. We will be doing the transAtlantic 10/24. My TA said to get RT air and just not use the return ticket. It would be cheaper and she is right:) I have found it for $600 for this Oct, $1,500 one way. So, the prices with be much cheaper than what Carnival wants for next October flights.

Hi, Melody

We've exchanged posts on the Princess roll call boards.

We are also considering the 10/24 transatlantic. Great minds seem to think alike, right?;)

Just a thought for you. I've been reading a little about using only a half of your roundtrip ticket. Be aware that the airlines hate this and do have the right to charge you the difference. I've been thinking of the same thing for us next year, but I'm not sure I have the nerve or want to take the chance. Double check with your TA and let me know what she says. (Ask her if she'll pay the difference if the airline charges you -- ha ha).

We are booked on the maiden voyage and have confidence that the ship will sail as scheduled HOWEVER we booked the air with carnival for the following reason. If the ship is delayed Carnival will offer us another sailing and we are not stuck with a non refundable ticket (or 5 as it is) to Rome for July 20. We booked a balcony and an inside acrossed the hall and Carnival offered the 3rd and 4th air for $399. We can always change our mind and drop the air before final payment and add our own if everything looks like it is on schedule.

Hi My husband and I and another couple have also booked the 10/24 cruise we can hardly wait Have booked a balcony for both of us. trid to reserve an additional balcony and the said none were avail. will have to wait list our other friends. Tried carnival direct and 3 on line cruise agencies no luck.

hope we can continue conversing about this cruise it really helps the time go by. we leave 10/30 on the voyager of the sea and then will concentrate on pre cruise time in rome enjoy ethel

Hi everyone,

Did some digging and for anyone interested, even though this is a 12 day cruise, according to the Carnival website and my TA...there are only 2 formal nights. I don't mind, cuts down on the clothes we have to bring but, I thought for sure it would be at least 3 or 4. Anyhow, wanted to share that information with everyone.

Vinnie

Archived