Alcohol in cabin

On past cruises, we were able to buy a bottle on the ship to keep in cabin for evening cocktails. We have our first balcony on our 9/17 Mariner cruise and I am confused from other posts as to whether that is still possible??

Those days are long gone....:( You can always bring one from home and pack it in your check in bag.;)

Does this work the same for the wine pkgs? I read w/my docs that we could have the wine in our room or at dinner? Did I misunderstand? I'm bummed that you can't buy a bottle on the ship to have a before dinner cocktail. I guess my husband will be running to the bar a lot when I'm getting dressed to bring cocktails back to us.

What about the mini fridge, do they put little bottles in there? I know it's more expensive, but in the event you wanted one it would be there. Just curious.

Nope - I'm guessing because of kids in the cabin.

On past cruises, we were able to buy a bottle on the ship to keep in cabin for evening cocktails. We have our first balcony on our 9/17 Mariner cruise and I am confused from other posts as to whether that is still possible??

We just got of Mariner last week and we had the wine package. If you don't finish it at dinner they give you the bottle to take back to the room. We also were able to go down to the windjammer during the day and get a bottle from them to bring back to the room. We also like to have some wine in the cabin while getting ready for dinner. We also brought a few things with us.:)

so, you brought a few things with you? Sailing on Sovereign next month. Could I just pack a bottle of wine or liquor in my checked luggage, assuming it can get through the luggage handling and the airlines? Cruise line will let it go through?

Thanks..........

With all the new restrictions, I'm afraid to smuggle anything on the ship. I guess if we can't purchase a bottle for the room, we'll have to order one and bring it back to the room while we get ready. We also always enjoyed having a Irish Coffee on the balcony before bed time. I guess this is a thing of the past too.

in a freezer Zip Lok bag for each & in the checked luggage. Never a problem with Irish coffee or lenonade with Grey Goose in it for the pool. We also bring BIG plastic cups to drink with.

I have the fridge cleared out of mini bar & we bring goodies back to enjoy.

Ours makes it though just fine in the original plastic flasks it is sold in the liquor stores. Dont do the 'transfer to other bottle' routine. I would think you would have more problems with that than taking a (new sealed) known substance in your checked luggage. Put these in a ziplock and your good to go. Our bags have been search at the airport, evidenced by the irridecent seal on the bag, but not by the cruise ship. If they did, liquor was not what they were looking for. They have 3000 passengers luggage to get on board in a two hour span. Perhaps it will happen, but so can anything happen.

We have also bought the wine package and they are very accomodating in how you use it. If you miss a meal in the dining room, the bottle will accumulate and you can ask for that to go back to the room with you or share with others the next night.

Durning our cruise in May this year on the Explorer, we were not allowed to buy a bottle at the on-board liquor store until the very last night and it was after like 8 or 9:00 PM. The still charged the 8 bucks for a corkage fee.

I don't want to jinx myself but I have brought bottles on board in my checked baggage. I suggest that you buy the plastic bottles and do the zip lock freezer bag as a secondary containment should they handle the bags too roughly:eek: . If they do find it, you will be treated like a kid in school - you'll get it back at the end of the cuise :)

We were on Mariner of the Seas in May, and went to Vintages one evening, purchased a bottle of wine, requested 2 glasses, returned to our cabin, and relaxed on the veranda while enjoying the wine and watching the beautiful Atlantic. True, the price is considerably more than it would be on land, but it IS possible to purchase individual bottles of wine onboard. Now hard liquor, that's another story.

Just back from NOS last week...was told by the person working in the duty free store on board that you can buy a bottle the second to last day before debarkation and take it back to your room....some nonsense about not having enough time to get it ready to prepare for you to pick up etc...said that it was RCCL policy fleetwide but not advertised....not perfect but at least you can have a bottle of hard liquor "legally" for the last two nights....:D

BTW you can take as many bottles of wine as you want back to your room (at ship prices)....can buy bucket 'o beer and take them back as well:)

Have fun... Be safe;)

You can also call "Just Because of You" at 1 800 882 9707. I have been using them for a while now and love the personal touch Shelley adds. She makes up beautiful Bon Voyage Baskets with Champ,Wine or Beer and delivers it to your cabins. I have had my experiences packing alcohol in my luggage, I wont mention the expensive outfits I had ruined. Her prices are very resonable too.

This is a really nice thread. On the Celebrity site I have always been called cheap for defending the right to bring the beverage of our choice to the cabin because we like to have a drink while getting ready for dinner. We know there is cabin service available but it always arrives over half an hour after it's ordered and after traveling half way thru the ship it's watered down. Also, it arrives when one is in the shower and the other is not dressed.

We do pack the bottles in the checked luggage in plastic baggies but we do transfer my scotch into a plastic vodka bottle because we have watched the handling of our luggage and just don't want to take a chance with the glass bottle.

On longer cruises we have gone into port, bought a bottle of liquor and put it into a water container and brought it onboard. The nice people in St. Maarten at the pier will actully do this for you.

Personally I feel that since we spend money at the bars and only drink our private alcohol in our cabin, RCL really shouldn't

concern themselves with our private habits.

Thanks so very much for all the good replies. I haven't used the boards before although I read occasionally, and your answers gave me a plan. Since we are late 50's and pretty "vanilla" in appearance, I will take a chance with the loaded suit case, and the southern "drawl".

Archived