What is there right at the port?

KJMommy04

My husband and I will be in Grand Cayman in less than two weeks! :) I am wondering what there is to do right at the port or within walking distance. Is there shopping? Beach access? What about any touristy attractions? We're trying not to "plan" something for every port and decided we'd like to do this one on foot. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Grand Cayman is a tender port. You will transfer to shore via tender boats. The terminals are located right in Hog Sty Bay, in the heart of Georgetown.

Georgetown offers a variety of shopping and dining options. Jewelry is a big item, as are Cayman Island Rum Cakes. The usual assortment of crafts items and tshirts round out the mix.

There are many taxis and minibuses to take to the various beach locations, but there isn't really beach access in town.

You can however snorkel from a few sites within walking distance of the cruise terminals. Eden Rock and Abanks are two dive centers just south of the docks with ladders for easy access over the sharp ironshore rocks that make up the shoreline in this area.

The Atlantis Submarines and the Nautilis Semi-submersible offer other options for seeing the undersea environment without actually getting wet. Both depart from the Georgetown area.

Grand Cayman is a tender port. You will transfer to shore via tender boats. The terminals are located right in Hog Sty Bay, in the heart of Georgetown.

Georgetown offers a variety of shopping and dining options. Jewelry is a big item, as are Cayman Island Rum Cakes. The usual assortment of crafts items and tshirts round out the mix.

There are many taxis and minibuses to take to the various beach locations, but there isn't really beach access in town.

You can however snorkel from a few sites within walking distance of the cruise terminals. Eden Rock and Abanks are two dive centers just south of the docks with ladders for easy access over the sharp ironshore rocks that make up the shoreline in this area.

The Atlantis Submarines and the Nautilis Semi-submersible offer other options for seeing the undersea environment without actually getting wet. Both depart from the Georgetown area.

how much does it cost for the snorkeling at the dive centres

• 4 weeks later...

Grand Cayman is just too pretty to stay in town..... in my opinion....

If you don't want to "plan" anything why don't you just hail a taxi and take an impromptu tour at least to see some of the "prettier parts". You can then come back to town and shop and have a snack etc etc.

TOUR'S on past cruises and will be back in GC next April. Planning on doing the semi sub tour then. We haven't done anything by the tender port or downtown ever.

Our upcoming cruise Nov 4th is just a 7 day R & R at first we weren't even going to get off the ship except for Costa Maya as that is a new port for us. But, I was checking and it appear's there is only 1 other ship in port with us the day we're in GC.

Thought it might be the time to explore downtown.

Just need some idea's as to what there is available there these days.

Zydecocruiser, You contributions to this board are very appreciated. I know this has been discussed, but there will be at least 6 or 7 ships in port the day we are there. We planned to just walk around as we are concerned that everything will be crowded. Any thoughts?

The rum cake place is right there near the dock. There are coupons on the Grand Cayman sites(search it out)that if you buy a six pack of the little cakes you get a large(worth $20)free. I bought a lot of the cakes last year, they are really good and you can sample all of them. They also have great buys in liquor at the same place so you can have it all shipped over to your ship.

Zydecocruiser, You contributions to this board are very appreciated. I know this has been discussed, but there will be at least 6 or 7 ships in port the day we are there. We planned to just walk around as we are concerned that everything will be crowded. Any thoughts?

The port area will probably be crowded with people not on tours milling around, or before or after tours, but very few will venture far. Most might not even go as "far" as Eden Rock area. Many will try to fit in Margaritaville, or Hard Rock. If the crowd is too much, I might head for Breezes Restaurant which has some great views.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/GC/gc_1.htm

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/GC/IMG_8794.JPG

{next time I'll have to try harder to duplicate the shot on their website

http://www.breezesbythebay.com/assets/views/views.htm }

6-7 ships is not a record and there are now (actually have been) 3 tender docks available.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived