Wheelchair to board ship

Hapinowagain

I have recently had lower back surgery and I am in need to knee replacements. I have indictated to Princess that I will need a wheelchair for getting off and on the ship. Can anyone tell me how this works. At the pier, will I have to stand in a line to get up to the desk before I get a wheelchair?

I would strongly encourage you to take your own wheelchair (rent or purchase). While you can get assistance and a wheelchair at the pier, you can't take their wheelchairs ashore at ports, or claim one for your exclusive use on board. There is a lot of walking an standing on board the ship, and without your own wheelchair you will be confinded to the ship.

We just got back from RC Explorer with my MIL who uses a walker. She has Parkinsons & cannot walk great distances. After the first day, we realized that she would not be able to walk around the ship. I went to guest relations & was able to use a wheelchair-for a $300 deposit that got returned once the chair was returned. They have limited quantities so if this option is available, I would reserve one ASAP.

Sandi

Not all cruise lines will make these arrangements. I don't believe Princess does it this way. Even if you do, you are likely to get an ill-fitting and heavy chair rather than one that really meets your needs and is easy to get in/out of a cab ashore.

I second the advice to bring your own wheelchair. Renting one would be fine. It can be delivered to your cabin. A few years ago, we had an experience on the Zenith during some bad weather that proved that we needed a WC to use if necessary. Several people had bad falls during some rough weather at sea. The WC allows my DH to go everywhere during bad weather and gives me something to hold on to to steady myself.

On Princess Dawn in the Caribbean and on the Tahitian, both had wheelchairs to use. I think they are now for "on-ship" only, but they do have them at the pier at check-in and someone will wheel it right to the cabin with the passenger. Great system.

One caution about renting, depending on where you are traveling. It is sometimes easy to damage the rubber tires on unimproved roads or in sand. On our last trip to the Caribbean, we actually "blew out" a tire and had to patch securely with duct-tape. Two large tires had to be completely replaced due to heat and bad surfaces.

Archived