oceana october27 -1st cruise

del007

hello all , i am new to the forum and to cruising, and i am hoping that someone might be able to advise me of some of the things that i can expect on this holiday. we are going on the taste of the carib and I am really starting to get nervous now, never done it before, i normally go off to the canaries so this is a big change.

please would anyone be able to advise on any of the excursions, i have looked at what is available can cannot decide which ones to do and which not too, anyone who has been on these help would be greatly appreciated thankyou........:) .1st post of many over

unfortunately there are not too many posters from the uk on here mostly aussies.

I cant answer your questions but wanted to stop by and wish you a warm welcome and that i hope you get the answers you need.

karon(born in nottingham I see you are from the midlands)

Welcome aboard del007. As Karon (born in Nottingham) said, mostly Aussies around here bt there are a few UK posters so you'll probably get your questions answered. Just might take a few days.

Karen (born in Bradford)

Hello Del007, Welcome to the boards.

You'll love cruising and theres no better place to do a cruise than the Caribbean.

The Oceana is a lovely ship and I'm sure you'll have a great time. The excursions from the ship are normally first class but, I wouldnt jump in too fast. I'll have a look at your itenary this evening and pick out some of my wife and I's favourites. A half day taxi tour with a beach thrown in is our usual day ashore. The heat out there is something else and theres nothing worse than sitting all day in a coach and passing all these beautiful beaches.

Have you had a look at the P & O site, cruise connections? Theres loads of information on there as well and its used mainly by PandO cruisers.

Jimmy ( born in Scotland but now living in Surrey for 30 years)

Welcome from another Midlander, born in Brum, grew up in Nottingham and now living in Leicestershire.

Of your ports of call I've only visited Antigua and St Lucia.

Took an island tour in Antigua, visited Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard.

In St Lucia we probably headed for the beach although next time around (December) we are considering a dolphin watching trip.

There are also port messageboards on this site which you may find helpful.

The P&O site has lots of info and people are very friendly but it is sooooo slow!

Have a great cruise.

Had a look through your ports of call. Looks great. Without knowing exactly what you expect to do I would, rather than recommend my personal favourites, agree that your best bet would be to go through the PandO site, www.pocruises.com, their site 'On board Forum' under destinations, has a wealth of information regarding the Caribbean. I see you are flying back to the UK after the cruise. There is also lots of information regarding departure from the ship etc on the site, but dont worry, disembarking in Barbados is painless. We're off on the Oceana next Sunday around the Canaries and Madeira so if you have any questions about the ship, pease ask. If I don't know, someone else will.

Happy cruising, Jimmy

Hi all. New here too but not so new to cruising.

Sound advice from haggis about the Cruise Connections board on the P&O site. You'll find a lot of info there.

In my experience excursions depend on whether it's just you, you and partner, you + partner + children and perhaps most of all in the Caribbean, how fit and agile you are (age notwithstanding).

Madiera for instance I'd prefer to wander round the town - the fish market's amazing - rather then sit in a coach on a tour.

The islands - when you get to them;) - I'd prefer to be out in the sea as much as possible; catamaran trips etc, rather then doing the scenic tour. Although a jeep trek through the rainforest in St Lucia I can recommend if you don't mind a bumpy ride.

Try and match up the excursions with your genuine interests; that way you stand less chance of being disappointed. They're not cheap as you've probably realised, so if there's nothing you really fancy don't be averse to making your own way as another poster said. I once hired a speedboat and skipper in St Lucia for the day straight from the port, cost split between four of us, whizzed down the coast, lunch on the beach, bit of snorkelling and swimming and then back in time for tea... lol. Magic:)

But if your interests are more cultural then there's still loads to do. I can't currently access the excursions sections on the P&O site - don't know the problem. If you have the same problem try phoning the office and asking them to send you the excursions brochure so you can book in advance. Some of the more popular ones get sold out pretty quickly and you may find when you board that the excursions desk (yes, there's a special desk for excursions) has sold the ones you want.

Hope that helps.

One last thing...

Have a fabulous holiday!

We tend to take very few organised excursions, as we hate being herded around with hoards of others, especially in the Caribbean where the islands can become swamped with so many guests.

We prefer to take a taxi wherever we want to go. They are freely available at the pier, are usually very reasonably priced and the drivers very knowledgeable about their respective islands. Agree a price first...and make sure you're both talking the same currency ie US $ not EC $ or Barbados $ which all have very different values.

If you wish to visit a beach, the taxi will come back for you at an agreed time...in this situation only pay the return fare when he comes back for you.

One excursion we did do, which was good fun, was the Jeep Safari into the rainforest in St Lucia. That was interesting and scenic. The other I'd recommend is the Helicpter flight to Monserrat, from Antigua.

Enjoy your first cruise....the first of many I suspect.

Hi

We are booked on the Oceana for Christmas 07 (aaages away yet!)

But we have done Caribbean cruises with other lines.

We usually organise our own tours - when you arrive in the various ports there is always loads of taxis and private tour operators to take you where you want to go. In St Lucia we booked an Island tour & beach, Antigua the same, St Martin to the beach, Guadaloupe taxi to the beach, St Thomas Island tour group etc. You can join up with others or take a private taxi. Any way you do it, your money will go a lot further if you dont use the ships own tours.

By the way, I´m a Brummie too, but now living in Austria! :)

Just one thing to remember, if you're late back, the ship WILL NOT WAIT for you, unless you're on a P&O excursion - I've seen it happen a couple of times! So make sure you allow PLENTY of time to get back before sailing, and always take the Port Agents tel number with you - just in case.

Archived