Pros & Cons of a hump cabin

meyer4two

I have a hump cabin on hold on the EOS. I decided on this room because it is close to the elevator and stairs. I hear alot of talk about hump cabins but not really sure, is it a good thing or not. Please tell me if I am doing the right thing by reserving a hump cabin.

Thanks.

I have a hump cabin on hold on the EOS. I decided on this room because it is close to the elevator and stairs. I hear alot of talk about hump cabins but not really sure, is it a good thing or not. Please tell me if I am doing the right thing by reserving a hump cabin.

Thanks.

I was on the hump on VOS, It was great because of the view you have from your balcony. I really never heard of anyone complain at all about those cabins.

Yes, you are doing the right thing!! :D We had hump cabins on the Explorer and the Serenade. Fantastic because you have an unobstructed view of the length of the ship in both directions. The cabins are mid-ship (better for motion), and also at the center of the activity with stairs and elevators close. (I try to take the stairs to work off the desserts!) On future cruises we will always try to book something midship, or hump!

Believe me, you won't be disappointed. Have a great cruise.

We've had a hump cabin the last three times we have cruised. Really enjoyed them. They are very convenient to eveything. Don't need to worry about noise. They are very quiet cabins. We will definetly book a hump cabin again when they are avalible

Happy Sailing!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Help a newbie out...what is a hump cabin?

Help a newbie out...what is a hump cabin?

Hi, Tricia -

Welcome.:D

The cabins in the centre of the ship, opposite the elevators, near the Centrum, where the ship kind of "curves" out - it's further out than the other balcony staterooms, and the balconies are somewhat larger. Those down on the aft end are also called 'hump' because of the shape of the ship. They also have larger balconies.

If you go to http://www.travelocity.com and look under cruises you'll find deck plans - and you can see where the hump is, plus the size of the balconies.

The RCI website also has deck plans.

I first read about hump cabins here, then when we booked our 2007 cruise managed to get one - but they go fast! Our TA was shocked that they were booked more than a year in advance.:eek:

Fran

We had the OS on the Explorer..1320...mid hump. The room was right at the entrance to the elevators and stair foyer. It was a PERFECT location and we heard nothing. On our 7/20/07 and 12/23/07 Explorer cruise, we gave up the OS for 2 rooms so we could get the 2nd bathroom...but they are on the HUMP!! lol

Hi, Tricia -

Welcome.:D

The cabins in the centre of the ship, opposite the elevators, near the Centrum, where the ship kind of "curves" out - it's further out than the other balcony staterooms, and the balconies are somewhat larger. Those down on the aft end are also called 'hump' because of the shape of the ship. They also have larger balconies.

If you go to www.travelocity.com and look under cruises you'll find deck plans - and you can see where the hump is, plus the size of the balconies.

The RCI website also has deck plans.

I first read about hump cabins here, then when we booked our 2007 cruise managed to get one - but they go fast! Our TA was shocked that they were booked more than a year in advance.:eek:

Fran

Thanks Fran. So, would an experienced TA know what a hump cabin is or would you have to tell them by number?

I have a D2 8350 booked but an E1 Hump 8322 has come available, which should I take, its for two people. Its on Navigator

Take 8322 as fast as you can.:D Great location. I have 8320 on my two Navigator cruises this month.

The E1 is smaller, but the view is great.;)

I have a D2 8350 booked but an E1 Hump 8322 has come available, which should I take, its for two people. Its on Navigator

We got that same cabin for our upcoming cruise on the Navigator. We chose it primarily because we love hump cabins and because its almost dead center of the hump. I'll let you know how we like it when we get back next month. Promise to leave it in great condition!

Thanks.

I wrote this on here for another person who asked.

For the view. We book the center of the hump, a normal size balcony. You can see from the front of the ship to the rear.

The privacy. No one can see into your balcony because you are sticking out further from the ship than all the other cabins.

The great location. Right near the elevators, but you hear no noise because you are behind a wall in your own little hallway.

To be able to see straight down to the water because you are actually sticking out over it.

There is no noise from the stairs, the Centrum or the elevators.(the elevators are on the other side of the ship) You are behind a wall in your own private hallway just for hump cabins..

I hope this helps you. ;)

I wrote this on here for another person who asked.

For the view. We book the center of the hump, a normal size balcony. You can see from the front of the ship to the rear.

The privacy. No one can see into your balcony because you are sticking out further from the ship than all the other cabins.

The great location. Right near the elevators, but you hear no noise because you are behind a wall in your own little hallway.

To be able to see straight down to the water because you are actually sticking out over it.

There is no noise from the stairs, the Centrum or the elevators.(the elevators are on the other side of the ship) You are behind a wall in your own private hallway just for hump cabins..

I hope this helps you. ;)

Alexis,

Thank you for telling me all about the hump cabins. We have #8614 on EOS which is not right in the middle of the hump, hope that doesn't make any difference. We like being close to the stairs so we can quickly in the a.m. get to the concierge lounge for that 'good' cup of coffee. Deck 9 had nothing so we decided on this room because of the location.

I always wondered what a hump cabin was, now I know. Thanks.

Hump cabins are outstanding. Do not worry about the elevator as you will not here it. I was really skeptical the first cruise we had on Explorer was a hump cabin and had worried myself to death over the cabin being so near the elevator. But it was no problem at all plus it was very convinient! Also what I loved is that the hallway where the hump cabins are located is much wider. You don't have to manuver those skinny closed in hallways. The views from the balconies on the hump are exceptional. The absolute best room for the money! Here is a pic of the Mariner hump balconies, I have added the room number to get a feel of where I was going to be on the hump.

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/4621/2001251604247032898_rs.jpg

Now, a warning, other Voyager class ships balconies will look different than the Mariner. Mariner is special because it's baconies where not built into the steel frame of the ship. They were built on the outside giving them a more airy feel. But the location of the rooms should be the same. If your room is on the other side of the hump replace the 6 with a 3 for example 7614 is a mirror image of 7314.

Happy Cruising!

Hump cabins are outstanding. Do not worry about the elevator as you will not here it. I was really skeptical the first cruise we had on Explorer was a hump cabin and had worried myself to death over the cabin being so near the elevator. But it was no problem at all plus it was very convinient! Also what I loved is that the hallway where the hump cabins are located is much wider. You don't have to manuver those skinny closed in hallways. The views from the balconies on the hump are exceptional. The absolute best room for the money! Here is a pic of the Mariner hump balconies, I have added the room number to get a feel of where I was going to be on the hump.

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/4621/2001251604247032898_rs.jpg

Now, a warning, other Voyager class ships balconies will look different than the Mariner. Mariner is special because it's baconies where not built into the steel frame of the ship. They were built on the outside giving them a more airy feel. But the location of the rooms should be the same. If your room is on the other side of the hump replace the 6 with a 3 for example 7614 is a mirror image of 7314.

Happy Cruising!

Great picture, thanks for sending it. Really tells you what a hump cabin is. Now I am definitely glad I'm going with the hump cabin. I know what you mean about the construction of the balcony. On the EOS 2 wks. ago the balcony was all metal walls. This room will probably be the same. Didn't mind it so much but our voices did echo when we talked. Felt like the whole ship could hear us, lol.

Thanks so much. Great picture.

Thanks Fran. So, would an experienced TA know what a hump cabin is or would you have to tell them by number?

Hi, Tricia -

My TA had never heard of hump cabins, so I had to explain it to him. He then went on the RCI website, looked at the deck plans, and said "Aha!", called RCI to book the cruise and there was a hump cabin! If you find the floor plans of the ship, tell your TA what cabin numbers as well - makes it a little easier. There are a couple of hump cabins right by the elevators as well, but far enough away that elevator noise won't be bothersome.

Actually, my TA knows more about cruising since I've hooked into these boards.:eek: He's going on Explorer of the Seas in January and I told him the names of the two captains....which ships are being stretched, Crown and Anchor parties...etc. etc. :D:D

Where are you from in NJ? My youngest son was born in Orange Memorial - DH taught at Seton Hall U, so we lived in S. Orange.

Fran in Toronto

Archived