Question for other non-drinkers

roughd

About to embark on our 1st cruise, ROTS, too excited to sit still! I did have another question tho, just wondering, since so much onboard activity seems to be centered in the various bars and lounges througout the ship, how comfortable is it for non-drinkers to just come in and drink soda or lemonade while participating in whatever activity? For example, I really want to try out some karaoke, even Radiance Idol? Have you been able to enjoy these activities without being bugged to buy drinks all the time? Are there snacks available in the bars? My only experience has been going to the occasional bar to hear a band that's playing, so I hope this isn't a dumb question.

Don

There are many non drinking cruisers out there. We rarely drink and go to all the activities without feeling out of place. We will order cola or water.

There are some activities on board when they offer free drinks. You may ask for cola or lemonade.

No need to worry about it. They will ask you alot just tell them NO!

I always order a coke or gingerale with cherry juice. I like the taste. My favorite hangout is the piano bar. I never feel uncomfortable. I have plenty of cruiseline "drink of the day" glasses at home and don't need any more. When I want a drink I will have one but I find I don't order them very often. Drink whatever your comfortable with. I've never had any comments from waiters or anyone about my choices.:) :)

I experienced NO pressure whatsoever during my most recent sailing on Explorer. We participated in lots of activities on deck and in the bars and lounges. When I was thirsty, I ordered myself a nice cold diet coke!!

Have fun and participate in every activity you think you might enjoy!

I don't drink and never felt uncomfortable. We went to the idol contests and particpated in a variety of activities and have never felt uncomfortable. If a waiter asks you if you want a drink, just say a polite No thank you and continue to enjoy your cruise.

I have never felt pressure to order a drink any place other than the pool deck. All they usually say on the pool deck is "bar service". The trays they walk around with are offered with or without alcohol.

I have ordered a Ginger Ale or Cranberry Juice many times and never felt out of place.

On the majority of our cruises, whenever we told the waiter we didn't care for anything to drink, he/she dropped a napkin on the table to let other waiters know we had been asked and chose to order nothing. We never were approached again unless we waved a waiter over when we changed our mind. Never any pressure or hassle. As mentioned before they will bring you anything you ask for as long as it is on board and they won't get fred for bringing it to you:D!

I also very much enjoy "putting the piano bar to bed..." I often just ask for a glass of water, if for no other reason than to relieve the poor roaming waiters from their never-ending duty to see if I need anything. They are always very subtle though, truly just wanting to make sure I am good.

Theron

I also very much enjoy "putting the piano bar to bed..." I often just ask for a glass of water, if for no other reason than to relieve the poor roaming waiters from their never-ending duty to see if I need anything. They are always very subtle though, truly just wanting to make sure I am good.

Theron

I have sailed with a friend that attended AA meeting on ship several times during our cruise. There was no pressure to drink and the soda card worked well...only pressure was "within" so AA really did help.

Theron

I drink, but I've also been known to order a simple glass of water when I'm in the bars as well. I've never had a problem no matter what I've ordered.

Some of the bars like the Schooner Bar, will have a trail mix kind of snack available in the afternoons and evenings.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to order water in the bar!

I'm not a non-drinker, but we generally have a bottle of wine with dinner, that's enough for me. If we go to a bar afterwards, my husband will order a drink, I get only water. I've even been known to order water from the pool waiters, if I'm alone, I'll give them a cash tip.

I don't drink soda and don't care much for fruit juice.

I've never, ever, felt uncomfortable ordering plain water.

Agree with others - we are not big drinkers... I may have a glass of wine with dinner, husband a soda. We may or may not have an alcoholic "night cap". We rarely ever drink alcohol during the day (normally a soda by the pool or at the bingo).

Infact, especially during the day, you will often see people hanging around in the lounges with no drink at all (not even soda/water)... a lot of people don't drink at the shows/bingo either. We tend to order a drink of some sort (at least a soda) because otherwise we get thirsty... It's not like land bars/cafes (where you really must order a drink if you are going to sit in there).

Have never felt pressured at all. :)

You will have a GREAT time :)

Boo

I think the issue is that they are asking you if you want a drink...a beverage...no one cares if it is a beer, scotch, bottled water, a glass of water or soda pop. In my experience--no one is bugging you to "get drunk"--the servers are just tryiing to make sure everyone is taken care of properly--whether that is is tomato juice or bourbon.

I know people who have been freaked at the 2 drink minumum in Vegas Shows...again that can be 2 of anything at a certain fee.

Archived