Wine on board (again!)

CEV426

I know this subjcet has been beaten to death, but I understand things may have changed in the 2 yrs since I was on NCL when we had our "contraband....aka 2 bottles of wine" confiscated.

With our prior cruise lines, Celebrity , RCI, Princess.....there was no problem at all. Cabin steward even iced up bottle and brought us glasses.

I undersatand now they charge a corkage fee if you hide it in luggage? What about if it's in carry on and you're upfront about it? Is there a corkage fee even if you intend to drink in your room?

I have checked out the Dawns wine (see www.cruiseclues.com) list and compared (online) the prices to that of my local wine discounter.(www.totalwine.com) They are charging high 20s for an $8 bottle of wine. I find that with the higher prices wine ( 30s & $40s)the mark up is not as high. I think in the long run it is more economical to bring my favorite $10-12 bottle and pay the fee. They would charge me >$30 plus 15% for the same thing.

I dont have a problem buying wine onboard, I would just like to bring a bottle or two to enjoy in room while getting ready for the eveing.

As far as other booze ( that I really dont drink), what's to stop someone from disguising vodka, gin or other clear spirits ina large water bottle? I always travel with my 32 oz refillable rubbermaid waterbottle (with water in it!) and no one ever gave it a second look.

Hi Neighbor,

You will have to pay the corkage fee ( was $15.00 ) per bottle regardless of where you intend to enjoy..cabin, dining room, etc.

If you pack it in your checked luggage they may detect it ( they always do with mine ) and then you'll have to go to a designated room , open your luggage and pay the 15.00 per bottle. You can then take your bottles anyplace you want.

I don't usually take any other alcohol but I know many people that do transfer the other stuff into water bottles and such, and mostly don't get snagged.

Now I know a lot of people on this board are going to say ..an $8.00 bottle that sells for 20.00 on board..doesn't make sense to pay the $15.00 that would cost you $23.00..but in essence I don't think you can buy a bottle for $20.00 and don't forget that they add 15% Gratuity..Better deal is 1.5 L for as low as 11.00( I buy a case and save a few bucks) plus the 15.00 fee..26.00 and almost double the 750ml that is carried on board.

On a recent Crown sailing, I had four bottles of wine in my back pack, fully anticipating paying a $60 corkage fee. However, it went through security without question. I also had small bottles of vermouth and specialty liquors [for martinis] in a lunch cooler that didn't raise any concerns.

When we arrived in our room, we ordered two bottles of vodka and a bottle of rum that were delivered the following morning. There was champagne waiting for us, though we didn't care for its taste. I tried to exchange it for wine, but was unsuccessful.

Each evening before dinner, we entertained friends in our cabin. DH "took care" of a bar tender, so we had lemons, limes and olives for the martinis.

Darcy

I am not particular about the wine I drink and usually buy the cheap boxed wine for at home use for wine before dinner. I save the good stuff for dining in fine restaurants where I can get a nice glass or two on occasion without buying a whole bottle of it.

My question is.....how do they charge for "boxed wine" and where should one pack it? :confused:

I'd certainly like to hear if anyone has any experience of taking a wine box onto the ship. OK, it's not something you would necessarily carry to the resturaunt with you and plonk it (no pun intended) on the corner of the table, but it is much more practical for transportation, and would be a nice addition to any room. With the no liquids rule likely to stay in place for a while to come (if not forever) unless you can buy wine at the embarkation port, a wine box is a good alternative as it is strong enough to pack in your checked luggage if you have a semi-rigid case. There's always ships laundry of something does wrong ;)

Since a 1.5L bottle gets $15 corkage too, I would expect possibly a 2.5L box would be the same.

I am also interested in this topic. Last cruise we eack packed a box of Sangria in our luggage and I asked the room steward for a water jug. Every afternoon I picked up some fruit from the buffet and and a glass of soda water from the bar ( to give it some bubbles) and we had Sangria on the balcony. I don't want to be called to the "naughty room" so I think we"ll each carry a box on in our carry ons but I'm interested in how much we'll be charged because on the Dawn you can buy Sangria by the jug in the Tex Mex restaurant.

Thanks for posting this - Wow, there's been quite an increase since I last cruised NCL a few years ago. (Do they know Gordon Brown?!:D )

We found large increases between Summer 05 and Easter 06 and again between Easter 06 and Summer 06. Hopefully there will NOT be similar increases before our Transatlantic in December!

I'll just nip down the road (a few miles) and ask Gordon to REDUCE all tax on alcohol :D:D - but probably won't reduce NCL's prices!!

Do NCL still do their 6for5 offer on wine purchased on board?

This was on offer last summer but disappeared about the turn of the year. Not only have the prices increased but the offer vanished too :mad:

Am anxious to know if there is a charge (if caught) on the wine in a box. We are leaving tomorrow (Sunday) and I'd like to hear from somebody if you are out there. Do they look at every piece of luggage? Thanks for an answer.

Hopefully someone can answer your question more directly Maxsboubie, all I can offer is:

They do not have the time to 'look in' every case, but they will x-ray each as part of security, and it is up to the security person to pull the bag aside if there is anything that raises suspicion.

For hand luggage the security staff are usualy not from NCL, but the port authority, and generally couldn't care less about your booze in you bag, they are only looking for anything that seems potentially dangerous.

Since we have ordered a bar setup, we have always taken several bottles of tonic water on each cruise in our hand baggage and never even been asked to show they were still sealed.

We found large increases between Summer 05 and Easter 06 and again between Easter 06 and Summer 06. Hopefully there will NOT be similar increases before our Transatlantic in December!

I'll just nip down the road (a few miles) and ask Gordon to REDUCE all tax on alcohol :D:D - but probably won't reduce NCL's prices!!

Thankfully, we're only cruising for 7 nights and have $300 on board credit - guess where most of that will be going:rolleyes:

My favourite wine on that price list was $32+15% grat = $36.8 @ 7 nights = $257.60. That leaves $42.40 for excursions - Anyone would think I was an alcoholic:p

Now I know a lot of people on this board are going to say ..an $8.00 bottle that sells for 20.00 on board..doesn't make sense to pay the $15.00 that would cost you $23.00..but in essence I don't think you can buy a bottle for $20.00 and don't forget that they add 15% Gratuity..Better deal is 1.5 L for as low as 11.00( I buy a case and save a few bucks) plus the 15.00 fee..26.00 and almost double the 750ml that is carried on board.

I don't beleive there is a bottle of wine on the list for $20.....I saw that the mid-high twenties wine were the $8 range here at home. Figure roughly $26 per bottle plus 15% grat. comes to just about $30. I can bring my favorite bottle for apx $10 wholesale plus $15 and pay $25 for a bottle of wine that I really love.

All in all I dont know if its worth the bother. I never thought of the magnum (1.5 L) sized bottles. The only problem is that the wines I like are not available in that size. It is usually inferior wines that are sold in magnums....but there are excpetions. I am not a wine snob, but my tastes have definitely evolved over the years and I can appreciate the difference. I know price is not an indication of quality beings that I have I quite a list of excellent wines that are in the $10 range. I may try my luck carrying on a few bottles in hand luggage and take my chances. I will ask the wine experts at my store for a 1.5 L recommendation.

Better yet, I may try some of the wines on NCLs list ahead of time to see what I am willing to buy onboard.

For those of you who may try the box wine thing....I friend of mine did that a few cruises ago, but she took the pouch out of the box and packed the pouch flat in a suitcase. I like the boxed wine into sangria idea:rolleyes:

Thanks for all your prompt replies.

For those of you who may try the box wine thing....I friend of mine did that a few cruises ago, but she took the pouch out of the box and packed the pouch flat in a suitcase. I like the boxed wine into sangria idea:rolleyes:

Wondering if there is a "no liquids" rule for cruise ships as there is for airplanes? If so, wonder if taking that boxed wine or any wine for that matter would go thru in a carry on? Hmm!

The Freestyle Daily mentioned that wines not purchased aboard the ship will incur a $15 to $30 corkage fee. With the increased prices both for wines and mixed drinks, cruise lines are looking for every way to cover themselves $$$ when pax take wine boxes or 1.5 bottles onboard. I looked over the wine list on our cabin, $29 was the minimum charge, plus 15% gratuity and that was for the same white Zin I buy for 2/$12 at the local supermarket.

Darcy

one other option.

you can order yourself a bon voyage gift from NCL, minimum 2 weeks prior to sailing. the cheapest would be a bottle of wine with a fruit basket for $20. you need to indicate either red or white. it will be in your cabin waiting for you when you arrive. you can order a "hearty" bottle of wine and fruit basket for slightly more.

i have asked before about the boxed wine corkage fee and never received an answer. oh well. i am guessing no one has tried carrying it on.

...with the least amount of squacking. That's what taxation is, and that is what cruise ship wine markups seem to be. C'mon NCL, give us a package like MSC (package of 7 wines for an all in great reasonable price) and passengers will stop the hide and seek games. I have already noticed a trend that should be a real wake up call to cruise lines. Passengers are starting to party at local watering holes on shore before they board. This is a good thread - kudos to all the contributors.

Am anxious to know if there is a charge (if caught) on the wine in a box. We are leaving tomorrow (Sunday) and I'd like to hear from somebody if you are out there. Do they look at every piece of luggage? Thanks for an answer.

I do hope that if you decide to take wine in a box, you'll come back and let us know how you made out. We're sailing end of October and I would like to bring some wine as well, found a really nice boxed sangria that we just love.

Bon Voyage!

i have asked before about the boxed wine corkage fee and never received an answer. oh well. i am guessing no one has tried carrying it on.

Actually I remember someone on here mention that she packs a box of wine in her carry on and they've never confiscated it yet, nor has she paid any corkage fee for it.

However, my luck they will discover ours and I don't really want to smuggle if it's a no, no. I'd rather know up front what the fee would be so I am prepared to pay it if need be. I should probably call customer service but ya know how they never seem to know the answer to things like this or you get a multitude of answers so it may be a waste of my time to that.

That said....I also do not want to pay a $30 fee for a $15 box of wine either. :eek: I will gladly pay the $15 normal fee but I have a feeling the fee is much more for boxed wine since there is significantly more wine in the box then there is in a bottle. :rolleyes:

That said....I also do not want to pay a $30 fee for a $15 box of wine either. :eek: I will gladly pay the $15 normal fee but I have a feeling the fee is much more for boxed wine since there is significantly more wine in the box then there is in a bottle. :rolleyes:

You have your answer. Put it in your carry on. If asked gladly pay the $15. If the person working the desk that day wants more let them know you will pay the $15 or they can hold the fine vintage. Bet you end up paying nothing or $15 :)

Archived