How Many Have Booked River Cruise for 2007 and where?

cruisingmimi

We are booked on the Avalon Tapestry for the July 14 to July 29 Amsterdam to Basel cruise (the Rhine and Mosel Rivers). It is our first river cruise, having done 14 ocean cruises and lots of land travel. We are doing this trip to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We chose Avalon because of the reputation they have, plus the newer ships with bigger rooms, etc. We chose this itinerary because it goes to places we have never been. We have done Eastern Europe by land, but never the Netherlands, Strasburg, or this area of Germany.

We are booked on the Viking Pakhomav for the July 17th cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg. We decided on Russia for our first river cruise and started investigating the various lines. Would probably have chosen Amadeus, but then along came a two for one opportunity with Viking. Needless to say that's the choice we made. We're very much looking forward to this new cruise experience.

They came yesterday for our June 8 cruise. We are staying in the Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel for the first two nights. I looked it up and it looks great. We are going on the 28 day Grand European Serenade from Bucharest to Amsterdam. It is a combination of two two week trips. We will be starting the second half in Vienna around June 14. Is any one else on these Uniworld trips? PH

PH,

We took this trip nearly three years ago, and still correspond with some of the people we met. It is a wonderful trip The first week on the river seems slow, but the parties up on deck were great. We went in the same direction as you, so economies became better as we sailed. The crew was wonderful. We never wanted for anything. Afternoon tea was sooo good. Budapest is a fascinating city--the central market was within walking distance of the boat. We only did one optional trip and that was the dinner in Rudesheim--great fun. Enjoy. Pat

Cruised Uniworld last year from Vienna to Romania, loved it so much we are going with them again from Basal to Amsterdam on Uniworld's River Queen, cruising the Rhine & Moselle, anyone else sailing mid July??

To: AWED23

So what size are the suites and what is the price? Would love to know for a comparison check.

...14 night cruise, $8695 PP....total,$17,390....Suites are 330 sq.ft......INTRAV charters the entire vessel and sees to cuisine and wine selections...Provides a "Tour Mgr.", guides etc..We have used them before and were very pleased that we did....As I said, they provide a "Luxe" experience...The Sound of Music was originally built to house 150 guests, now, it houses 98....There will be 3 coaches accompaning the ship with 3 guides and local guides where ever needed....Hope this helps, Rob...:D

Cruised Uniworld last year from Vienna to Romania, loved it so much we are going with them again from Basal to Amsterdam on Uniworld's River Queen, cruising the Rhine & Moselle, anyone else sailing mid July??

We just returned home today from our Vienna to Amsterdam Uniworld cruise on River Duchess. It was hard to believe, but this one was even more special than our first Uniworld "Tulips and Windmills" Amsterdam to Antwerp cruise on River Duchess in April 2006!!

While aboard, we signed up for the same Rhine & Moselle itinerary for May 2008 on River Queen, but the reverse itinerary. We wanted to see Cologne and some of the other places we sailed past last week.

We'd really appreciate a review of your July cruise. Thanks.

...Karl

We are taking the Doura Queen trip on August 31st. Arriving Lisbon and then busing to Porto to board the ship.

It is a fabulous itinerary. Any one else going??

We're going just 2 weeks before you, but on the French line CroisiEurope...we won't be back home until Sept.02, so I won't have any comments for you before your trip. It does look like a great trip.

I'm so excited! Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

3beauvid:

We're booked with Uniworld for the Douro River cruise in October. Please let us know how you like it and any tips upon your return. We've booked the pre-cruise land tour through Spain. They need a minimum of 20 persons and so far have 13; we're a bit nervous.

Best wishes and happy cruising.

capt (and Mrs Capt) George

We are going on the Castles Along the Rhine & Danube Cruise leaving on Sept 24,2007,from Amsterdam to Budapest with 3 extra days in Budapest.

Anyone else going on this curise?? We are so excited as we have never done a river cruise.

Maggiegrammie

I must have had my head in a sack as we are leaving on this cruise on July 15,2007 from Amsterdam to Budapest with the 3 extra days in Budapest. Gosh I would have missed the cruise.!!!!!!!!! Oh well its not the first time I have goofed.!!!! Hope we find others on this board that are joining us as I undertand its all sold out. We can hardly wait.

Maggiegrammie

We are going on the Castles Along the Rhine & Danube Cruise leaving on Sept 24,2007,from Amsterdam to Budapest with 3 extra days in Budapest.

Anyone else going on this curise?? We are so excited as we have never done a river cruise.

Maggiegrammie

:) Since we last posted on this site, and in reference to our post number 159, Grand Circle has done a very good job of rectifying are air travel problems. If they handle the rest of the trip as well we will be very happy.

We still would like to find someone who is also taking this cruise. Bucharest to Amsterdam on July 18th, 2007.

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked on the Avalon Tapestry for the July 14 to July 29 Amsterdam to Basel cruise (the Rhine and Mosel Rivers). It is our first river cruise, having done 14 ocean cruises and lots of land travel. We are doing this trip to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We chose Avalon because of the reputation they have, plus the newer ships with bigger rooms, etc. We chose this itinerary because it goes to places we have never been. We have done Eastern Europe by land, but never the Netherlands, Strasburg, or this area of Germany.

Would love to hear your opinion of your first river cruise as compared to the big ships you've been on. Personally, I would choose a river cruise any day over the big ships.

would love to hear from you after your first river cruise, especially since you have cruised so often on the big ships. Personally, I would choose the intimate and relaxing river cruise over the big ships any day.

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed Budapest to Amsterdam on Amadeus Princess through Collette this June. We had only 67 passengers (room for 160) so we were cossetted. The food was delicious, with buffet breakfast and lunch. Since our group was so nice and small, we had the luxury of sitting with new friends at all times in the dining room, the waiters were sweet about dealing with all our table flitting.

We had ample room in the lounge for our evening programs or what-have-you. Our lovely young cruise director Nancy gave us all the news and information on our itinerary and daily destinations, and there were two German speaking Collette guides aboard who went with us on our guided tours and we usually were broken into 5 groups with local city guides, one of them for our french speaking passengers.

We were amazed at the skill of our captain, who could absolutely speed into those narrow locks, all seventy of them, without touching either wall. We were allowed on the top deck, huddled in chairs in the center when there was enough clearance under the low bridges. But that deck was sometimes closed, everything flat, when we sailed under some bridges with just inches to spare! Amazing.

But relaxing and convivial does not mean boring or lazy. We walked our legs off. We sampled wonderful beers and wines and ate well but didn't gain any weight. Well, I have to admit, I was making a superhuman effort not to overindulge, and was able to stay away from desserts for the first week. An interesting note, we did purchase wine at many of our stops, opened them ourselves and discretely brought them to the table for dinner and that was not a problem. And some of the beer lovers did the same.

I do not believe there was even one passenger who did not have a great time. Our greatest alarm came at the end in Amsterdam, where one of our ladies strayed away from her walking tour group, but she made her way back about two hours later, tired from walking but unharmed. Since all those Amsterdamers speak fine English, I think she might have been too embarressed to ask for help.

We laid over 3 extra nights at a B&B on the Herengracht Canal just 2 blocks from the Anne Frank house and one block from a tram stop. Friendly friendly people, great food, great time. There's a wonderful book out there for anyone looking at river cruising

"Great River Cruises of Europe and the Nile" published this year I believe by the Discovery Channel. Found it at my library, what a resource.

Hi -

I'm going on my first river cruise, a 12 day Danube Christmas Market Cruise including Budapest & Prague departing 12/12/07. There are four of us in our group. I did research and Gate 1 had the best itinerary with best price I came across. Hope the decision was right, as reviews on this ship are sparse. If any of you have completed a trip on this ship, would love to have feed back.

Regarding category level someone else mentioned, the cost listed was category D but we upgraded to B at minimal cost compared to a few other lines. I was able to pick which room I wanted on that deck.

I do have a question regarding flights, we will be flying Lufthansa as it worked best departing from IAD - Dulles. It's been hard to get info, I assume most package flights book you at lowest class? Has anyone had experience with this and getting an upgrade? I am already nervous thinking of flying that long in economy. :( It's been years and years since I was on a trans-atlantic flight.

Archived