Must Buys???

cruisinonmymind

You can taste the rum cakes lots of places. There are two or three major brands. Last time I found that the Tortuga cakes I bought to take home were significantly dryer than the fresh-baked cakes I sampled. May just have been bad luck on my part.

Grand Cayman is known for black coral jewlery. It's beautiful! Unfortunately, it's too expensive for my budget.

The first time I visited Grand Cayman, I did some shopping. Bought some Wedgewood China as gifts. When I visited the outlet mall in CO, I discovered the same pieces at the same price. Of course, I saved tax in Grand Cayman. But, I had to worry about getting the pieces back unbroken. Just wasn't worth it. I don't really shop in Grand Cayman anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have not been to GC for a few years, but when i was there, they had a wonderful linen store that had really good prices. i bought embroidered table cloth, napkins and server scraves for GREAT prices! (the server scarf was a Christmas design and it was $2.50!)

Tortuga rum cakes and Tortuga rum. We got hooked on coconut rum and pineapple juice on the ship. I think the large size rum cakes are $20.00 and the smaller ones are around $13.00. We found everything else including t-shirts to be very high there.

Tortuga Rum !! Last time there we bought 8 bottles, the cost was about 65.00. Customs let it through without duty charges. Cakes you can get online, Rum, you cannot.

Ricknlynn

Thanks for the info. Did you go to the Tortuga Rum Factory and tour it or just buy at one of the shops?

Kathy

Guest cruzr44

We went to the rum factory to see just how it was made. At the end they make you drinks to order (free). I would buy the rum at their store or any other store and have it delivered to the ship. You bet I will be bringing some rum home! Soooooo good.

We did not go the the Rum Factory as there were so many other "things" that had to be done first, but it must be an interesting tour as other readers have said. Our first trip to the Caymans was for a week, so we were able to get a good taste for the Rum..lol. Our second trip to the Caymans via the cruise meant it was a good time to stock up and the Tortuga Rum Store is only a few feet from where the tenders unload the passengers, so its an easy one and yes, once purchased, you may not see the Rum until the night before you debark as the store will deliver to the ship and the ship will store it for you. Bottoms up !

Ricknlynn

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cruzr44

I purchased some nice black coral jewelry and had no problem bringing it back. I have never heard of that warning. Is it something new? If you are into jewelry from different islands there is Caymanite which is real nice too.

Black Coral jewelry can most certainly be brought into the states. In fact, the most famous, and in my wife's view best, designer Bernard K. Passman has galleries in New Orleans, Las Vegas, Hawaii, and Alaska. He started in Cayman many years ago but lives in New Orleans now.

One trip to GC, I swam with the stingrays. So my souvenir was a small Wedgewood plate with a Stingray carved in the middle. Nice memories.

Nothing is cheap in GC.

I couldn't believe how much GC had grown (and is growing) since my last visit. It was VERY crowded last Nov. with 7 or 8 ships in town that day.

Hopefully this Nov. it won't be as crowded so I can look around a little more than last time (no place even to walk without a crowd). So much nicer in the "old days."

I love my black coral charm also. They make a good investment (Passman). I have a small heart with a gold strip running through it. I checked out Passman last year and it had doubled in price!! I wear it on a gold chain.

Very nice port though to visit. Enjoy yourself and get a small souvenir!

• 2 weeks later...

Tortuga Rum Cake is great. Many of the stores that sells the cake has samples. Seems like the original and banana are more moist than the chocolate. All are very good.

If you like beer, need to try a Stingray Beer.

Black Coral Jewelry ~ There's a small business on 7-mile beach that sells it and it's much cheaper than in town. They only accept cash though. The store is very small, doesn't have a huge selection but if you find something it's definitely worth going. The business is called "Coral". Address is: West Shore Center, West Bay Road. I found several pieces there over time and have been very happy.

As far as excurions: Stingray City or Rum Point Beach if you don't want to swim with the stingrays.

Enjoy and have fun!

I'm surprised I haven't seen this one posted here yet: stingray charms!!! I can't find them anywhere else, and the silver ones are cheap here - from $9 to $20. The little shop right on the pier that's always crowded has a great selection - 5 or 6 different styles.

Archived