I Guess All The Ships Are Having Problems!

tuggers

Many of us who sail regularly on Celebrity would like to know where you can get 30% off Celebrity's price on a cruise. Celebrity does not allow TAs to discount their cruises any more. A key account high volume producer is able to get better prices than some other agents, but they don't approach 30% discounts.

The certificates received as compensation for your cruise were a dollar amount off of what you paid for your May 7 cruise and can be applied to whatever price you get for a future cruise. A $200 cabin credit, open bar and a savings certificate for a future cruise is certainly much more than just a $100 cabin credit. Because you choose not to use it does not mean it's not part of the compensation.

I can understand not wanting to risk a problem, but please tell the truth. It's not necessary to embellish the story.

To answer the questions that were posed.

CC cabins were available for $1299 for the thirteen night cruise on the

Summit. The regular price was over $2000. I would give the exact amount, but I am sure someone would quible about it. So my discount on this cruise was over 35%. This price was advertised on the Celebrity happy hour web site. The price that I received also included free insurance. The statement that the certificate can be applied to whatever price you can get is just totally inaccurate. I would suggest that anyone who doubts this should call Celebrity and tell them you were on the May 7 Summit cruise and ask if this certificate is good for happy hour or any other special rates. I know that I have, several times and have always received the same answer - NO. If you call free drinks from 11:30am - 1:00pm, for one day, an "open bar" then on this point you are right, I don't drink so I can not speak to that. The May 7 Celebrity Summit crusie disaster certainly does not need any embelllishment by myself or anyone else, the reviews speak for themselves. Unlike many who continue to post about this cruise, I was actually there!

Well said Cruiser 2004! Why do people, and some more than others, continue to post about cruises that they weren't on and can't possibly understand how someone is feeling who was actually there and suffered??? Who in their right minds pay full brochure prices anyway - all cruiselines seem to offer early booking discounts, late discounts, etc??? An open bar at 11.30 in the morning - that is disgusting!! What use is that except to a small minority of hardened drinkers - obviously done in X's favour. The amount of $200 compensation is also derisory for missing so much. I quite agree with you warning others that they may suffer the same miserable holiday.

Well said Cruiser 2004! Why do people, and some more than others, continue to post about cruises that they weren't on and can't possibly understand how someone is feeling who was actually there and suffered??? Who in their right minds pay full brochure prices anyway - all cruiselines seem to offer early booking discounts, late discounts, etc??? An open bar at 11.30 in the morning - that is disgusting!! What use is that except to a small minority of hardened drinkers - obviously done in X's favour. The amount of $200 compensation is also derisory for missing so much. I quite agree with you warning others that they may suffer the same miserable holiday.

I was under the impression that the OP was posting about the Grandeur of the Seas. I wonder why you would be posting about that cruise or the May 7 cruise since you weren't there. Why do some people take every opportunity to try to turn every thread into a conversation about their particular cruise? I wonder why people continue "suffering" for such extended periods of time.

Most of the people on these boards have sympathized with those who had a bad experience.

Today is September 11th. There are many thousands of people who are suffering from the horrible incident 5 years ago. Don't you think it's time to put your "suffering" into perspective. We all have the message...ad infinitum.

I was under the impression that the OP was posting about the Grandeur of the Seas. I wonder why you would be posting about that cruise or the May 7 cruise since you weren't there. Why do some people take every opportunity to try to turn every thread into a conversation about their particular cruise? I wonder why people continue "suffering" for such extended periods of time.

Most of the people on these boards have sympathized with those who had a bad experience.

Today is September 11th. There are many thousands of people who are suffering from the horrible incident 5 years ago. Don't you think it's time to put your "suffering" into perspective. We all have the message...ad infinitum.

Joan, I agree. I fully sympathise with those in the situation they found themselves in, but can't help feeling that their efforts would be put to better use elsewhere other than on a message board, four months after the event. My empathy is starting to dwindle.

Phil

How I wish some people would take off their rose tinted glasses, listen to others opinions, stop calling people 'untruthful' and just reply with honest reviews of their own experiences. When someone asks whether they should cancel a cruise, etc. etc then why shouldn't we ALL give our honest opinions without being criticised?? I thought this board was called cruise critics?? Constructive criticism is a very good thing when people make suggestions on how to put things right, frustrating though when not listened to, as in the case of X who won;t reply to some peoples letters. I'm lucky I've had a reply from them although they are still not listening! If that is the attitiude then they will lose customers. Other cruise companies also have problems with ships, etc. but perhaps you don't hear so much because they give good customer service and LISTEN to their customers and endeavour to put things right sooner rather than later. My sister has just booked a cruise to Alaska for next year and she has booked a cruise with HAL. I have been looking with interest at the HAL sections on here, and also because we nearly booked with them too, and have not found so much criticism or bad reviews as on the X sections. Speaks volumes I think??

We just canceled our B2B around South America in Nov-Dec as it is just too much money to risk with the Infinity unable to complete a satisfactory Alaskan iteneray. The CC review section tells the story for the Summer of 2006 on Infinity.

But the problem will be fixed in dry dock in September!

It´s unusual that it will happens two month later again.

All I can say is that my BW, 15 year old grandaughter, and I just got off Connie after a "cruise of a lifetime". Ship was great, food was great, ports were great, tours great (especially St. Petersburg with Alla). Don't know about Bridge ... our dinner tablemates played almost every day.

That's correct, certificates don't apply to Happy Hour cruises. There are also some other restrictions....
Hi Joan. Did I miss something? I had two FCC's and used them this past Spring - one was applied to a Happy Hour TA EB, the other FCC was used to make a Bermuda cruise B2B w/ the TA EB. I did go through my usual T/A and we verified that the only restrictions were no inaugural, Christmas or New Year's sailings.

Joan, I agree. I fully sympathise with those in the situation they found themselves in, but can't help feeling that their efforts would be put to better use elsewhere other than on a message board, four months after the event. My empathy is starting to dwindle.
Ditto, here, too, Phil. Have a great cruise, but then, I know you will.

Gail (the OP) you are right - other ships have problems, too. In fact, I would guess that ALL ships have some problems - some mechanical, some human. I'm really happy to see you posting again. Despite all you have been through, you can still manage to make lemonade when you are given lemons. Brava!

Incidentally, for those cancelling Celebrity "Millennium" class cruises because of a potential pod problem -- NOT all four of Celebrity's "Millennium" class ships have experienced a problem w/ the pods. You should also know that there are other ships, not belonging to Celebrity, that have the same propulsion system and have also experienced problems with their "pods". Perhaps more research (not necessarily opinions) before booking and/or cancellation is in order.

...It´s unusual that it will happens two month later again.
Very astute!

One of the things I definitely remember reading from those disgruntled passengers regarding their experience on CC is that there was an effort on the part of those who continue to support Celebrity to censor, supress, or eliminate their comments from appearing.

I see that some of this is happenjing, but certainly not to their comments, at least not in this thread, even though, as MaBell points out, they have drifted off topic to a cruise that wasn't even referenced by the OP

I haven't been on these boards in a while. I come on and find that the same problems are still being talked about by the same posters. Whilst everyone is entitled to air their view why do some people continue to drag up the same thing time and time again. Make your comments known once or twice but not a dozen or so times. It gets very boring. Before anyone flames me I was on Infinity in August and did not have a 'perfect cruise' but I mentioned it on here and then have moved on.

Bev

How I wish some people would take off their rose tinted glasses, listen to others opinions, stop calling people 'untruthful' and just reply with honest reviews of their own experiences. When someone asks whether they should cancel a cruise, etc. etc then why shouldn't we ALL give our honest opinions without being criticised?? I thought this board was called cruise critics?? Constructive criticism is a very good thing when people make suggestions on how to put things right, frustrating though when not listened to, as in the case of X who won;t reply to some peoples letters. I'm lucky I've had a reply from them although they are still not listening! If that is the attitiude then they will lose customers. Other cruise companies also have problems with ships, etc. but perhaps you don't hear so much because they give good customer service and LISTEN to their customers and endeavour to put things right sooner rather than later. My sister has just booked a cruise to Alaska for next year and she has booked a cruise with HAL. I have been looking with interest at the HAL sections on here, and also because we nearly booked with them too, and have not found so much criticism or bad reviews as on the X sections. Speaks volumes I think??

The "untruthful" comment was specifically in response to Cruiser implying that the only compensation was $100. That is not true. Even Cruiser admits that. Now, going on to discuss why the other compensation holds no value for him is a whole other story...

When you're giving sympathy to the May 7th cruisers, though, please realize that the pods caused FAR less disruption to our (or at least MY) enjoyment of the cruise than the disgruntled passengers did. I eventually felt that the cruise line came through with a reasonable compensation package (the initial offer WAS insulting), but there was no compensation for the days of discomfort caused by being surrounded by the hostility of a group of irate and (rumored to be) aggressive "rabble rousers"...

I think the pods ARE a problem (albeit one with a statistically low rate of occurrence). And I think that the customer service from the home office is an even BIGGER problem. I'm not defending X there. I think that this problem SHOULD be mentioned whenever somebody who doesn't know about it inquires about M-Class ships. However, others should have just as much right to defend the cruise line, refute untruthful criticisms, and remind people why they love Celebrity despite any problems. Then, after hearing both sides, people can decide for themselves.

I have been looking with interest at the HAL sections on here, and also because we nearly booked with them too, and have not found so much criticism or bad reviews as on the X sections. Speaks volumes I think??

You raise a very interesting point that I had never thought of before. If there is less criticism on the HAL boards perhaps that's because people don't criticise as much and as often. You've have got me very interested in HAL.

I do stand corrected that I should have said "I received the same lousy $100 compensation plus a worthless, to myself and hundreds of others, 30% coupon". For those that were ON the cruise and think that it was fair, I am happy for them. As one of the "irate and (rumored to be) aggressive "rabble rousers"", I did not feel that things were handled at all fairly, nor to my satisfaction, nor to the satisfactions of hundreds of other passengers. I do agree with DrewB that new passengers should be allowed to make up their own minds armed with ALL the facts about the past history of recurring problems. Instead of the flaming could we please return to the topic!!

In case we've forgotten....here is the Topic.

Just talked to my friend who got off Grandeur today. They broke a rudder pin coming in, had to wait for the coast guard to send divers down and inspect so their early am arrival turned into 2:30 pm. Passengers started disembarking at 4!

Ship will be in port for at least 36 hours and then do a two day cruise to nowhere.

See, problems and not a pod in sight! Guess it happen to them all!

Well, breaking a rudder pin is an accident; Sailing with a defective propulsion system is a financial decision made at the expense of the passengers. So, while some of you may wish to change X's motto to "we're no worse than any other line" you may want to consider the number of times that pods have caused missed ports/excursions, changed itineraries and even cancelled cruises compared with mechanical problems on other ships. I have no doubt that other ships have their problems - just not with known issues that they won't address. And please - spare me the legal argument about X being unable to fix the pods due to the lawsuit. X owes its passengers the cruises they promise to the destinations listed in the itinerary - any choice that puts that at risk is done at our expense.

X owes its passengers the cruises they promise to the destinations listed in the itinerary - any choice that puts that at risk is done at our expense.

They don't promise that. I don't think that any of the cruise lines do. Heck, they don't even guarantee that the ships will be seaworthy! That's what the contracts say. If customers don't like it, they should campaign to have the contracts changed (or vote with their wallets and walk away). If I ever had as miserable an experience on a cruise as some of the other 5/7 Summit passengers had, I would never set foot on a Celebrity ship again (and I would probably also give up on cruising altogether)! I was lucky, though, in that, despite the pod problems, I still had a phenomenal trip of a lifetime.

Perhaps if the cruise line lost enough customers, they would be forced to change... Until then, though, they have no obligation to complete the advertised itinerary, and any "compensation" for missed ports, etc., is not a matter of fair recompense, but merely a gesture of good will when, legally, they have done nothing wrong...

Joan thanks for the clarification on the certificates. I didn't realize there were different types.

tbelian I remember reading that, too. How sorry I felt for those trapped into listening to the rhetoric

Drew very well said (both posts). Thank you.

seattlelover Bless you for speaking your piece and moving past it.

dmk thank you for reminding us of the original post.

I have noticed how badly a brass band's or orchestra's performance is impacted by discordant notes from one out of tune, or poorly played, instrument. The perfectly played or perfectly pitched notes from the rest of the orchestra are drowned out. The player of the discordant notes seldom realizes that he/she is the problem and continues blaring away, virtually ruining the musical experience for everybody (performers or audience) else. At least the audience members can walk out. The rest of the orchestra has to finish that part of the program. Hopefully, during the intermission the conductor can take steps to eliminate the sour notes.

One of my favourite (but seldom used thank goodness) Cruise Critic features is the ability to block certain posts. I personally use this feature when confronted by posters who misguidedly think they are helping by repeatedly recounting their experiences in a negative manner. Blocking a discordant note is so much easier than leaving the concert.

Archived