How are the jellyfish right now?

jatdowning

I know this is typically the time of year that they are bad...we're going on the SOS this weekend and were wondering how the jellyfish are right now. Anyone cruise these past 2wks that could let us know? Wondering whether or not to bring the snorkel gear. Last 2yrs this time of year was so bad the water and the shores were covered with them.

Thanks guys/girls!!

Traci

I know this is typically the time of year that they are bad...we're going on the SOS this weekend and were wondering how the jellyfish are right now. Anyone cruise these past 2 wks that could let us know? Wondering whether or not to bring the snorkel gear. Last 2 yrs this time of year was so bad the water and the shores were covered with them.

Thanks guys/girls!!

Traci

I just came off the sovereign about 5 hours ago and the Jelly fish were quite thick on cococay. We went to Atlantis and they were present there as well. We rented a beach mat and as we were paddling (sp) the mat about we were "shooing" away the jelly fish. just be certain if you make contact with a jelly fish you carefully move the jelly fish only from the top of the jelly fish, and be careful to never make contact with the tenicles..(sp)

The water in cococay was not clear we were there yesterday 9/10/06 and you cannot see the ones under the surface, as the beach is very cloudy and "milky" looking... on out a bit (about 50 feet) the water is crystal clear...everyone in the water spotted them, but I heard of very few stings reported.. One person stung (on our tender) going back to the ship and one otherperson was going back as we were arriving to the island via the tender.

I felt a lot safer on the mat than out in the open waters.

Have a good trip. Cococay is beautiful.. don't forget to go around to the back side of the island to see the iguanas that roam around.. over by the shade trees and hammocks..they are fun to watch.

I know this is typically the time of year that they are bad...we're going on the SOS this weekend and were wondering how the jellyfish are right now. Anyone cruise these past 2wks that could let us know? Wondering whether or not to bring the snorkel gear. Last 2yrs this time of year was so bad the water and the shores were covered with them.

Thanks guys/girls!!

Traci

We will be on with you and were actually wondering the same thing.

The jellys wil be more prevalent when there are storms with winds blowing from the open sea. We snorkeled at Coco Cay 2 weeks ago and my DW who is VERY suseptible to the stings was in the water on the far end of the island for a good while and not stung at all. BTW she was not wearing her wet suit she usually wears when diving.(Actually she wasn't wearing much at all.;)

So it all depends on the weather and the winds.

This is going to sound like a dorky question but is there a jelly fish season? We have always cruise Feb/March and this has never been an issue. I knew they could be a problem going into hurricane season but curious if there is a so called season for jelly fish. Seems this topic only comes us for a few months of the year too. Help? Teach me something Cruise Critic! :) Know there is a conch season, yum, but is there a jelly fish season? Also note I am so happy peeing on them in not the remedy like sea urchins, imagine the post then. :eek:

BonVoyage

Dawna

This is going to sound like a dorky question but is there a jelly fish season? We have always cruise Feb/March and this has never been an issue. I knew they could be a problem going into hurricane season but curious if there is a so called season for jelly fish. Seems this topic only comes us for a few months of the year too. Help? Teach me something Cruise Critic! :) Know there is a conch season, yum, but is there a jelly fish season? Also note I am so happy peeing on them in not the remedy like sea urchins, imagine the post then. :eek:

BonVoyage

Dawna

About the only thing I do know about those little devils is they are more prevalent in warmer waters and after storms. You probably don't see many in Feb/March at the waters are cooler than the summer. I would assume that September/October and November would bring more due to warm water, air and rough seas due to the tropical storms, hurricanes, etc.

Living in New Jersey, my family vacationed at the Jersey shore in August for years. We saw many, many more beached and floating jellyfish during August than any other month. We live only about an hour away from Ocean City and still go down on day trips. You rarely see them until early August.

If anyone is allergic to bee stings be very careful if you get stung by a jellyfish because the reaction can be similiar. I am very allergic to bees and the doctor warned me to always have my epi pen with me at the beach in case I get stung.

Just off the SOS...lots and lots of jellies at Coco ...we did the one tank dive there....the take youo out by wave runner (like RCCL can't afford a real boat)

and then drop you in the middle of schools of these damn things. The dive was not the greatest (altho any dive is better than no dive) but at least when we got down we did not have to deal the jellies. Water well out was clear (about 50') but near shore was cloudy. By the way Nassau the day before we did snorkel tour (several in our party did not dive) and it was great,tons of fish and NO jellies. My review of SOS will follow in a bit.

Sept to Nov is jellyfish season near Coco Cay. On the US East Coast, they start coming out in August when the water warms up. We were in Myrtle Beach the last week of August - never saw a jellyfish, but heard they were there - but I did get bitten by something. The pharmacist said it was probably a manta ray because it was not a sting. 2 weeks later and I still this patch of itcy, bumpy skin.

Jelly fish float where the wind, waves, and current carry them. So it all depends on the conditions in any area at the time. I never snorkel without a diveskin which is helpful if you see them not to mention if you happen to brush against coral.

jc

When you can't see the jellyfish, they are still around. I was bit by a jellyfish once in Haiti on Explorer of the Seas. I couldn't even see it in the water. My leg was red and it stung a little bit. But, it goes away with in a few hours.

You do know that Jellyfish don't bite, right?:eek:

Jellyfish are big enough generally that you can see them or feel them. My guess (speculation is what we do here isn't it?) is that you were stung by Sea Lice. http://www.fau.edu/safe/sea-lice.html

jc

Thanks guys/girls!!

Traci

Which SOS? Serenade, Splendour, or Sovereign?

Archived