FINALLY Booked the Intercontinental

emen822

I booked the Intercontinental on Hotwire today. :D Got it for $174, which seems high compared to everyone else's rate - but this is for Spring Break and the cheapest I saw was $349 per night so I'm happy with $174!

Anyway, I just did a search to try and find the thread where someone said to call the hotel after receiving the confirmation to make any special requests (i.e., non-smoking, two beds). And also to put a request in about where I would like the room. Higher floor? Bay view?

I have read SO many posts about hotels in Miami or flying into FLL and trying to get transportation. I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused. :confused:

Also, I just want to be sure that I got the right hotel because I thought I read that there are two Intercontinental hotels in the Miami area. Here is the one I got: 100 Chopin Plaza, Miami, Florida 33131. PLEASE tell me this is the one close to the pier. :o

Thanks.

That is the same hotel we are booked in (same location) for our cruise in April and the same rate. I think the people getting the $80 or even lower rates must be traveling at off peek times.

I did not see the thread about calling the hotel directly, but that is exactly what I did... They were very helpful.

As for transportation we chose to rent a car because we will be getting in 2 days Pre cruise and want to have transportation while we are there.

Happy Cruising

We just stayed there is August and got it for 90.00 on Priceline.

It was a nice hotel and you could walk over to the Bayside Market. You also can see the ships from there.

We also flew into FL and rented a car.

Have a great time, wish we were going with you!

GREAT hotel. We've stayed there twice. Definately ask about a room overlooking the cruiseport. In the past they have been very accomodating. Taxicabs to the pier are plentiful and the hotel dining room has a breakfast bar set up in the morning (although it is a tad expensive.) We will be sailing out of Ft Lauderdale in October and we seriously thought of flying into Miami and staying there again.

I was so happy to get this hotel. And I never used Hotwire before so it was a little stressful to wait those 10 seconds to get the email confirmation. ;)

Now my next question: We are planning to fly into FLL. We were going to rent a car for the day, but since we have this nice hotel, is there enough to do within walking distance so that we wouldn't have to rent a car? I know Bayside is across the street (I think?) Now I'm thinking maybe we will just take a cab from the airport. I would actually love to take a limo. That would be a great surprise for my girls.

I know Bayside is across the street (I think?)

We're staying at the Intercontinental for the 2nd time this coming Friday, LOVE the hotel. It's actually on the same side of the street about a 5 minute walk along the waterfront walking toward the cruise ship pier. Very convenient, a great choice for a pre-cruise Miami hotel. We had a harborview room, booked through easyclicktravel, I merely asked upon check-in. We were high up and woke up to watch our ship come in, it was wonderful. I'll try again this time but also called and asked what the price would be to upgrade and they quoted $30. I'm willing to pay for the view if they don't offer the harborview again at check-in.

Look for the icons when amenities for properties are shown. Here is the list and as you can see Intercontinental has the laundry service.

Miami (Downtown)

4* Hyatt Regency

Amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

4* Inter-Continental

Amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry

To the OP, I think you could have gotten a better price if you waited until closer to the date you needed the room. I priced out August 2007 and rates are $167 but when I checked in July for August 2006 to compare the rates were only $97.

I'll check into renting from Hertz. We have never been to Miami before and just wondered if it was worth it to rent a car to drive around. Opinions? Is it necessary?

As far as the price, I'm happy with what I paid after seeing the other prices during spring break. I paid about the same last year for the Radisson in Port Canaveral and that was nothing to write home about. :o

There is NO way I could wait longer to book a room. I'm a cruise-aholic and love to have things planned WAY in advance. ;) Now that this is done, I still have to book my airfare. :eek:

emen, I had mentioned contacting the hotel directly and "requesting" your smoking, bed configuration and location preference. Please keep in mind this is just a request. When I happened to call them back (I forgot I had called months earlier), they did have all of my information on file. I would not rent a car if your stay is only for one night. There is a $25 parking fee. Breakfast buffet is $19pp. A taxi to the port is about $10 for a very short ride - $25 to the MIA airport upon return. This is a downtown location and parking and traffic can be a problem. I guess it really depends on where you want to go. I plan to go to South Beach by taxi or public transportation and just walk to Bayside for dinner/maybe breakfast but most places don't open until 10 a.m. on Sunday. You can get the Island Queen Water tour at Bayside also.

Although you price seems a little high, you have peace of mind and a great hotel. I got the IC on Priceline in January for our November stay @ $132 while it is now going for about $90 for the same time frame. I am happy with it.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

To the OP, I think you could have gotten a better price if you waited until closer to the date you needed the room. I priced out August 2007 and rates are $167 but when I checked in July for August 2006 to compare the rates were only $97.

I was going to do that; wait that is, but when I started looking into hotels for our April cruise, many of them were full for one of the two nights we needed, so I booked the Intercontinental when I found out they had space... Better to pay more and have a room, then try to save money and end up sleeping in the rental car. Had there been space in most of the hotels I would have waited too.

I was going to do that; wait that is, but when I started looking into hotels for our April cruise, many of them were full for one of the two nights we needed, so I booked the Intercontinental when I found out they had space... Better to pay more and have a room, then try to save money and end up sleeping in the rental car. Had there been space in most of the hotels I would have waited too.

Was there a big event going on at that time?

You can get the Island Queen Water tour at Bayside also.

Maybe we will just take the cab from the airport. If there is enough to do within walking distance, there is really no need for it. We are planning to fly into FLL since it's much cheaper and the flight times are more convenient. Renting a car would also cheaper, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of dropping it off and certainly don't want to pay $25 to park it overnight! :p

Do the restaurants open late on Saturday as well? Our cruise leaves on Saturday at 5:00.

The Island Queen Water tour - is that the one that takes you passed celebrity homes? Do I need to book this in advance? I think my girls would enjoy that. :)

We're staying here for our pre-cruise on October 7th. Can't wait....

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative to the hotel for breakfast, maybe a bagel shop or something nearby? Also, is there a liquor store nearby where I could pick up a couple bottles of wine and champagne?

We also booked IC thru Hotwire for 91/nt for five nites pre cruise in Oct. First time there for us. Usually stay at HI Bayside or SoBe.

At Bayside there is a food court that will have breakfast, or there is a nice cuban place where we usually eat in Bayside. It is right on the bay with tables outside. They serve a good bacon and eggs for alot less than 19/pp. Don't remember the name but there aren't that many places open for breakfast along the bay.

We did the Island Queen several years ago and it was nice. There used to be discount coupons you could get off the internet. Don't remember how but someone else should.

That is the same hotel we are booked in (same location) for our cruise in April and the same rate. I think the people getting the $80 or even lower rates must be traveling at off peek times.

I did not see the thread about calling the hotel directly, but that is exactly what I did... They were very helpful.

As for transportation we chose to rent a car because we will be getting in 2 days Pre cruise and want to have transportation while we are there.

Happy Cruising

I am sure they are: Intercontenental is quite a bit nicer than the Holiday Inn and even they don't go for $80.00. NMNita

We are staying at the IC in dec. for our precruise 2 nights. We got it on priceline for $94. I am very excited to stay there. We also couldn't decide if we should rent a car or just use taxis. I read on here a couple members opions and one was from Miami. With the hotel charging so much to park and she said it was very hard to get parking at places we would go and expensive we just decide to use cabs. I have a web site for the island queen tours and if you book on line you get a discount. its www.islandqueencruises.com Hope this helps There are acouple of threads here with more info on what to do in the area. If I find them again I will let you know.

We are staying at the IC in dec. for our precruise 2 nights. We got it on priceline for $94. I am very excited to stay there. We also couldn't decide if we should rent a car or just use taxis. I read on here a couple members opions and one was from Miami. With the hotel charging so much to park and she said it was very hard to get parking at places we would go and expensive we just decide to use cabs. I have a web site for the island queen tours and if you book on line you get a discount. its www.islandqueencruises.com Hope this helps There are acouple of threads here with more info on what to do in the area. If I find them again I will let you know.

I have read so many Miami threads, I thought my head was going to explode. :eek: I think the plan is to just take a car from the FLL airport to the hotel. From what I understand, we are within walking distance to the Bayside Marketplace and we can also get the island queen cruise from there. Plus, it looks like the IC has a nice pool. I'm sure we'll find something to do since we've never been there before. Thanks for your help.

Archived