Anyone ever heard of Cheapoair?

janniebabe

• 6 months later...

I did book thru cheapoair.com for a Detroit to Fort Lauderdale flight on Easter. Travelocity, Cheapseats all wanted $380-$650 for the times i needed - I booked the flight from cheapoair for $212.

The prices for Continential and AirTran are incredible.

I reserved my seats so the deal must be true~

Mike

Cheapoair has been out there for about two and a half years now. You see them pop up alot on "Travelzoo". I would run price checks on "Kayak.com" or "Sidestep" just for comparisons. Yes they are legitimate. Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what great prices. I've been looking everywhere for a week and nothing comes close to what Cheapo Air is offering. I'm glad this "too good to be true," is actually true. I was waiting to see if someone had used them and actually got to where they were going. Glad to see someone has. I'm looking to fly to Hawaii and will save hundreds by using them! Anyone else out there use them??? It would make me feel a little better if more then one person actually traveled with them:)

i am looking for tickets for two from Spokane, Wa. to L.A., and cheapoair had the best deal i found, until i went to book it. their taxes and fees made the cost of the trip more than Orbitz.com. price from cheapo was 208 per person before taxes and fees, but final price was 621 for two people. same flight on orbitz was 588 for two people including taxes and fees. deceiving.

Thank you so much for telling us this. We will be booking flights today or tomorow. I'm assuming that CheapoAir will let you go through the booking process and see what the total will be prior to paying? I will do this, and then check out all the other low cost sites, including orbitz. Thanks again for making us all aware to check for those hidden fees/taxes.

Yes, always look at the taxes and fees before booking at Cheapoair.

You see them when you click on the flight. Sites like sidestep.com show you the price including taxes and fees during it's search.

I do find though that cheapoair finds a few more things than sidestep.

I booked my airfare last night online direct with an airline. I decided after reading this posting to check out Cheapoair - I found the exact flights I booked last night and if I had gone with Cheapo it would have cost me $200 more. I am glad I booked direct with an airline. Not the most expensive airline but it is only a 2 hour flight or so. Pays to shop around I guess.

Cheapoair sells a lot of consolidator class tickets, as do other consolidators, travel agents, etc.

The problem: If, for some reason (doesn't matter) you do not make the first flight or a connecting flight, the tickets are usually ONLY good for the originating airline. Consolidator tickets are NON ENDORSABLE (they have NO value) to another airline. You generally cannot be boarded on another airline with your tickets as you can with most airline purchased tickets. So you are essentially STUCK until the originating carrier has space available. You may miss your cruise.

I booked one way business class from Buenos Aires to San Francisco on LAN airlines through Cheapoair for $15 less then the economy class I had with United. I checked every site including directly with LAN and no one could beat the price. Like most sites, sometimes they are cheaper and sometimes they aren't. Shop around, but if you do find a good fare on cheapoair, I wouldn't hesitate to book through them. As soon as my booking was confirmed I was able to go on to the airlines site and choose my seat and I got miles through LANs partner airline. A couple other good sites are aatravelinc.com and bt-stores.com. BT stores only sells tickets that originate in the US, but they usually have some pretty good prices. But as greatam pointed out you have to know what you're buying. There are trade offs for the cheap tickets.

I checked them today,looking for Gatwick (London) to Venice, and there was a $10 (yes, TEN DOLLARS) far on British Airways for next month. If anyone's going that route, book it! (Admittedly, there were about $80 in taxes and fees, but still...)

Deb & Tim

That should be a year-round fare, but availability is often very limited particularly on busy days.

The low-fare airlines have brainwashed much of the infrequent flying public into thinking that they are always cheaper than the full-service airlines. This applies on both sides of the Atlantic, including Southwest Airlines in the US and easyJet and Ryanair in Europe. Very often, it is simply not true. And even when the low-fare airlines are cheaper, it's often still not good value or sensible.

Archived