In Vancouver two days prior to cruise, how much CAD should I have?

I was wondering how much CAD I should plan on either getting here before I leave for our trip (or via ATM once I arrive). We are going to be in YVR for two days post cruise. We have not decided if we will hire a car for Saturday to get around or not. Since I would rather use the currency of the country I am in, I was wondering what should I plan on using. Or would it be better to use credit cards as much as possible for the better exchange rate?

We plan to of course go to Stanley Park, the aquarium and who knows what else.

If you want to get the best exchange rates either use the banks or your credit card - be careful of the private ATM machines - many have hidden charges and aren't obiliged to give a decent rate.

As for renting a car it really depends on what you want to do - we have a good bus system that can take you to most of the popular tourist destinations and there is a free trolley service in Stanley Park where you can get on or off at leisure - you don't say where you are staying but if it is in the downtown core - which is quite compact - you can save lots of money on parking charges by using public transit

Hope you enjoy your visit to Vancouver and if you need any further info don't hestitate to post as there are a number of Vancouver locals monitoring these boards.

You may also get more responses if you post to the Alaska board which is much more popular for people sailing out of Vancouver.

• 1 month later...

We are doing a three day precruise and you guessed it - in Vancouver. What tours are available and what currency? We will be doing shopping and visiting the sites. We are staying at the Pan Pacific. Any info would be great. :confused:

We just spent a few days in Vancouver following our southbound cruise from Alaska. Hopefully, you will like the city as much as we did. Credit cards are the easiest way to go, and almost everyone takes them, even coffee shops. We just kep a little bit of CAD on hand for small things like cabs, and just exchanged small amounts of money at our hotel's front desk as needed. In checking my credit card statement, there was only a couple of cents difference between what the hotel exchaged at and what the bank offered, so on small amounts it's really not a big deal.

As far as driving, we thought we would be renting a car, but cancelled at the last minute and were glad we did. The traffic could be quite heavy at times with parking hard to find, depending on where you're going. If you are staying at a hotel in a central location downtown, the city is fairly small, and cabs relatively inexpensive. Everyplace we ate and shopped at was within walking distance of our hotel. Even considering our fare to the airport, approx. 26 CAD, it was still cheaper and less hassle then renting a car would have been for us for the three days. Vancouver has fairly decent public transportaion around the city. Even if you pay for a cab to Stanley Park (it was just a few dollars), there is a free trolley that runs all through the park.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Flagger

Get a ticket on the double decker bus from Grayline...they should sell them at your hotel and you can ride all around the town for 2 days and hop off and on whenever you like. It's about $25 for a 2 day ticket and will take you to most of the places you want to go. The drivers also tell you all about things and are very helpful.

Use your credit card for the best exchange. They take US dollars everywhere and there are lots of ATMs.

• 6 months later...

We will arrive in Vancouver Friday for a Sunday cruise in late July. There are 7 of us - we are trying to find good value for hotels as I am paying for 3 rooms for two nights and another night on the return. Do you have suggestions? We have one teenager and 4 20 somethings traveling with us.

Also I have thought about a day in Victoria - renting a van, etc. Should we just stick to Vancouver or include a ferry ride to Victoria? I suppose this is high season for all vacationers.

Thanks for the tip on the Grayline bus tickets. For $25 CA I don't see how you can beat that for a transportation option. I tried checking out that option on their web site but unfortunately they didn't mention that option. I will check at our hotel when we get there.

Have a great next cruise.

A question I had in my mind for some time.

I figure that most places will take American any time and I assume the cab driveres will, too. But I am not the best at quick math and don't want to get too messed with the exchange rate. Does it fluctuate much and would a general rule of thumb be around $1 CAD = $0.80 American? What would that work out for the trip from the airport to the Pan Pacific?

Also, one other very inportant question for you Vancourites. Where to get a case of water prior to boarding while staying at the Pan Pacific?

Thanks!

Georgia and Granville is a place called LONDON DRUGS-it is like a RITE AID.They have water,film,snacks etc...

Ladies-your make -up will be cheaper.

Everyplace takes US funds and the small ones will not give a great rate.Go to a money exchange when you get here-better rate than the bank.

Our dollar is 83cents today and seems to be hovering around that mark.

The hotel will have the rate posted everyday or watch the news and it will tell you.

Victoria is a LONG way to go in one day-stay in Vancouver and take a city tour or hop on the Trolley and check out the sites

that way.

Have fun!

Thanks for the information about this tour bus. I found the information on two websites:

www.grayline.co/tours/pages/graylineca/graylineca_604_DeckerTrolleyLoo.asp

It lists Canadian prices as $29.91 adult, child 3-11 $16.82, Seniors & Students $28.97 This website also shows the route map & yes the ticket is good for 2 days.

Also, on grayline.com The U.S. price is $29.00 & with a TripleA membership you can get a discount.

Looks like an economical way to tour Vancouver for our precruise stay in Sept. The Loup Tour goes from April 25 to October 2, 2005.

Here's another thing to do for a day in Vancouver. Vancouver Trolley Company has cute little red trolleys with hop on/hop off privileges. The trolleys make over 20 stops at all the popular sites in Downtown, in Stanley Park and on Granville Island. Lots of good information from the drivers. We had a blast on it last year. Here's a link to it: Hop on/Hop off

Is the drug store within walking of Canada Place?

And while at Canada Place, where would a money exchange be locaed?

Thanks, Grouchy!

And the Trolley sounds like the best idea of all. There is a $1 off coupon online at their website. I thought about the Entertainment book but after shipping and such and the fact that that would be the only coupon we would use, easier to just do that there. The map sure looked useful too.

Check out this game plan, you Vancouverians.

On at Canada Place, around to the Robson area. Get back on further west to Stanley Park. Mess around there. Back on to Chinatown area and back on for the last pickup around 6-ish. Doable or exhausting? (We have one full day there)

straight up Granville-about 5 blocks. For the best possible rate, go to Vancouver Currency Exchange on Hornby. In general currency exchange shops, especially those in tourist areas, don't give good exchange rates. However, Vancouver Currency Exchange at 402 Hornby gives the best rate in town. You can call them at 604-685-1008 for quotes.

They are conveniently located close to Canada Place and the Cruise Ship termials. There are other branches of this company; however, this location gives the best rates.

map-

http://www.discovervancouver.com/maps/downtown_vancouver_map.html

The good thing about the trolley is you can just sit and take a cheap tour.Stanley Park is BIG and there will be lots of walking.

And the Trolley sounds like the best idea of all. There is a $1 off coupon online at their website. I thought about the Entertainment book but after shipping and such and the fact that that would be the only coupon we would use, easier to just do that there. The map sure looked useful too.

Check out this game plan, you Vancouverians.

On at Canada Place, around to the Robson area. Get back on further west to Stanley Park. Mess around there. Back on to Chinatown area and back on for the last pickup around 6-ish. Doable or exhausting? (We have one full day there)

We're not Vancouverites, although I wish we were, but this is what we did in one day on the Trolley last summer: On at Robson by our hotel (the Listel), to Stanley Park; got off and walked around quite a bit; back on somewhere near the Acquarium in the park to the museum in (I believe) Vanier Park; walked around that completely; back on to Granville Island for lunch and a short walk (we had done the whole thing the day before); back on through town to Gastown and off at Dr. Sun Yat Sen Garden (for quite a while); back on the last trolley to Robson. A loooong day, to be sure, but what a great way to see the town.

We're not Vancouverites, although I wish we were, but this is what we did in one day on the Trolley last summer: On at Robson by our hotel (the Listel), to Stanley Park; got off and walked around quite a bit; back on somewhere near the Acquarium in the park to the museum in (I believe) Vanier Park; walked around that completely; back on to Granville Island for lunch and a short walk (we had done the whole thing the day before); back on through town to Gastown and off at Dr. Sun Yat Sen Garden (for quite a while); back on the last trolley to Robson. A loooong day, to be sure, but what a great way to see the town.

Just curious, how did you like the Listel? We are staying there pre-cruise in May. Any info much appreciated. Thanks!

Lori

Archived