Daintree Park tour or on your own in February

Moets

We will visit the Daintree Int. Park from Cairns in February.

Is it better to make a reservation in Cairns for a tour to the Daintree Park or do it on your own?

Who would you recommend for a tour for two days to the Daintree Park?

What is a must to see in Cairns and the Daintree Park?

Moet,

I would hire a car and take your time exploring the area between Cairns and the Daintree. I would even book accommodation up in the Daintree for one night and then you will have time to see everything.

Cape Tribulation is only one and a quarter hours from Cairns but on the way I would stop off at Port Douglas for a couple of hours and then go on to Mosman and visit the wonderful Gorge before finishing up at Cape Trib. Once there, there is quite a bit to see including the wonderful fly walk amongst the huge trees.

Here are some links;

http://www.pdis.com.au/daintree_accommodation.html

http://www.daintreevillage.asn.au/

http://www.tropicalexperience.com.au/browse.php?cat=202

That is one of our favourite areas of Australia and we have been there a number of times.

Jennie

Thank you for your information

Jenny, you wrote:

go on to Mosman and visit the wonderful Gorge before finishing up at Cape Trib. Once there, there is quite a bit to see including the wonderful fly walk amongst the huge trees.

What can we expect when we visit the Gorge and what's the direction of the fly walk and the Gorge?

Which accomodation could you recommend on this website;

http://www.tropicalexperience.com.au/browse.php?cat=202

Moets,

Mosman Gorge which is outside the town of Mosman, has lovely waterfalls and walking tracks. It is a great place to take a swim on a hot day. Mosman is about 10kms further north than Port Douglas on the way to the Daintree.

The Fly walk is on the Cape Tribulation side of the Daintree River. To get to Cape Tribulation and the Daintree area you drive the car on to a small ferry/punt which takes you across the river. Be wary of the river, as it is full of crocodiles!!

Once on the other side of the river the road keeps going north and after about 10kms or so, there is the turn off to the Fly Walk. It is well sign posted and I am sure that when you pick up your hire car, the maps provided should have all the places of interest marked.

Hope this helps you.

Jennie

Moets,

With regard to accommodation, if it were me I would spend the night at the Daintree Eco Lodge. I know it is the most expensive but it does give you an unique experience amongst the treetops.

My second choice would be Daintree Rainforest Accommodation (code coco) which is 4 star and my third choice would be Daintree Accommodation (code dwl) which is 3 and a half stars. I would check with each one if there is air conditioning as it can be extremely hot in February.

Jennie

• 4 weeks later...

So sounds like this is doable on your own by renting a car, taking your time, and stopping where/when you want. Would you get that much more out of the visit by taking one of the many organized tours? Or would a good guide book suffice & rental car? Is the drive easy from Cairns? Thanks.

So sounds like this is doable on your own by renting a car, taking your time, and stopping where/when you want. Would you get that much more out of the visit by taking one of the many organized tours? Or would a good guide book suffice & rental car? Is the drive easy from Cairns? Thanks.

The drive from Cairns up to the Daintree is a nice, easy drive with lots of beautiful sights and you can explore the area on your own.

However, for the rainforest itself, I highly recommend a guided tour. The guides are a wealth of information that you couldn't possibly read in a book. Also, I don't think you're allowed to enter the rainforests on your own. there are some dangerous things that shouldn't be touched, like poisonous plants or insects, etc. Would you know what to do if you encountered a cassowary bird? (huge pre-historic looking bird larger than an ostrich)

We always used the tour guides from our resort, so you hotel can recommend some. Or I'm sure you can book one from one of the many brochures you'll see in the shops in Port Douglas.

Unless you feel a real need to stay in Cairns (which is a city), there are many nice locations north toward the rainforest like Palm Cove and Port Douglas where you can stay on or near the beach. Many of the tours to the reef, rainforest, gorge, tram to Kuranda, etc. will pick up at those towns.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Should mention we'll only have 3.5 days so unfortuantely not a lot of time to relax and have a mellow vacation! From all my reading I do gather that staying in Trinity Beach, Palm Cove or Pt. Douglas is preferable to Cairns. Now I'm leaning toward the day, guided tour options (versus rental car) because of wanting to see so much in such a short amount of time. Very happy to learn there seems to be a lot of options for those who don't have a car at their disposal--lots of transportation to get to & from shopping/restaurants plus pickups by tour operators. Since we've only got a few nights & will be off taking tours during the day, seems like so long as there are 3 or 4 restaurant options close to our accommodation, we should be fine staying in a less populated location such as Palm Cove or Tinity Beach. I've been really studying this part of our pre-cruise stop and do appreciate all of your suggestions & links.

• 3 months later...

Wanted to update this post for those of you who might be visiting the Cairns/Great Barrier Reef area. We stayed in Pt. Douglas 2 nights and 2 nights just outside of Cairns (Yorkeys Knob). As Jane110 suggested, we went with an all-day guided tour since time was short. Used Garys Safaris which was about $155 USD pp. Booked the day prior, and most other tour operators were sold out. I can highly recommend Gary's, our guide was outstanding and like a walking encyclopedia! We went from Pt. Douglas and saw a lot--Mossman, Daintree, Cape Tribulation, cruise on the Daintree River (no crocs spotted), visit & swim at a pond & waterfall on private property, nice lunch in Daintree. Just one other couple with us. A very full day and you saw & learned way more than we would if we'd just driven ourselves.

For our trip to the GBR, we splurged and went with Daintree Air to Lizard Island. Really debated whether to spend the money flying ($900 USD for two) or take one of the boat tours to the reef (approx $400 now for two). The couple we met the day prior said they were somewhat disappointed in their Quicksilver tour to the Reef--they'd seen better on a trip a few years ago. Our flight went over the rainforest and Great Barrier Reef then lands on Lizard Island for snorkeling from the beach. The snorking was just like swimming in an aquarium! We departed from CNS and had to stop along the way to pick up another couple who were staying at the Coconut Beach Resort in the Daintree Rainforest. Pretty exciting landing on a grass airstrip in the rainforest right off the ocean! The owner/pilot, Gregg, has enough knowledge and stories to share to keep him talking for days. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

This was the only place on our trip/cruise that was HOT, but I knew it would be in January (90 degrees plus 90% humidity). It was worth it, though and I was just thrilled--not one drop of rain for the entire 4 days.

• 5 months later...

Archived