Air Baggage Rules to be Relaxed

calmac

Just spotted this on BBC's website

"Aircraft hand baggage restrictions imposed after an alleged terrorist plot to attack airliners are likely to be eased next week, the BBC has learned. Larger bags will be allowed on board, and passengers will be able take some liquids through security from Tuesday, the government is set to announce.

The government's transport security division is holding talks with the aviation industry on Monday.

The new measures should take effect next weekend."

For more details here is the link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5343018.stm

Good news for you guys in the UK:D ........just checked the TSA website and they have not changed over here yet:mad:

I just want to be able to take my water on:o

Ann

I know. In Aug we had to throw the bottle away, but they did have lots of water onboard. They were happy to keep the water flowing for drinking but would not leave a bottle with you. Pop they did give the can :confused: but not water. Do not understand that reasoning.

I saw an article this week that Congress liked the changes that were made in the US so they are likely to stay in the US.

Ugh!!! Thats a real shame for a few reasons. I am both a business traveler and leisure. Next week I have to travel for a brief overnight trip. I now am forced to check my bag because of the toiletries. This now bogs down the baggage claim process because in all likelihood there are now twice as many bags to unload.

The other side of it is that I was just recently a victim of theft. Believe it or not my toiletry bag was stolen out of my suitcase on a return trip from Puerto Rico to NYC. It was definitely the baggage handlers because in San Juan I gave my bag directly to the ticket agent who put it in the screening area. Then I took it directly off the carousel once in NY. The zipper to my suitcase was open and the bag was gone. No note from TSA either so I don't think they took it, nor was there reason to.

This was very unnerving. Who would want my toiletries. They are of no value to them, but will cost me about $250 to replace everything (included perfume and contact lenses).

I always carried things of value, including my toiletries on with me. Now I know why and I'm really discouraged that this policy will not be changing soon.

Flying on the 23rd, FL to CA, and I am going to use very small TSA approved locks on my checked bags whereever I have a zip.

Still having a problem seeing the rational behind banning fruit but allowing all kinds of electrical stuff. I wrote about the need to take sandwiches and fruit decanted without juice into a plastic screw top container, and got flamed by a not so polite posterwho told me to" go to the airport 30 mins early and spend a couple of $$ eating breakfast before getting on the plane."

I have to leave home at 3.30a.m, get to airport by 4.45a.m and take off at 6.45a.m, and believe me having done this "middle of the night" trip before, you cannot even buy a cup of coffee at the airport at 4.45a.m, and having to get there 2 hours before take off, that so called "get there 30 mins ahead of time and spend a couple of $$" is just impossible. Guess he lives 10 mins from the airport, and never travels before 11a.m!!!!

"Aircraft hand baggage restrictions imposed after an alleged terrorist plot to attack airliners are likely to be eased next week"
More possible details in the Sunday Times today:-
... Alexander plans to increase the permitted size of cabin bags from 45cm x 35cm x 16cm (approximately 18in x 14in x 6in) probably to 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. ...
Plus possible small amounts of liquids.

An announcement was made today that restrictions will be eased a bit on Friday 22 September:-

From Friday 22 September:

All passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and those transferring from international flights at a UK airport will be required to meet the following requirements:

Cabin Baggage

ONE item only of cabin baggage will be permitted through the airport security search point, the dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.). Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened.

Mobility aids

No change. Pushchairs, walking aids and wheelchairs are permitted but will be screened.

Liquids

No change. Restrictions remain in force, meaning that no liquids of any type are permitted through the airport security search point, other than the following items:

• Essential medicines in liquid form sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), as long as it is verified as authentic. Medicines in solid form continue to be permitted.
  • Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by the accompanying passenger).

To help their progress through search points, passengers are advised not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, flasks, tubes, cans, plastic containers etc.) in their cabin baggage.

NOTE: The definition of liquids includes gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures and the contents of pressurised containers, e.g. toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrups, perfume, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc.

Large electrical items / Laptops

No change. Laptops and other large electrical items (e.g. a large hairdryer) will still have to be removed from cabin baggage and screened separately. (Note: a laptop bag will be regarded as your one item that is allowed in the cabin).

In addition to the above, passengers boarding flights to the USA and the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the airport security search point, will continue to be subjected to secondary search at the gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

Musical instruments

Musical instruments which do not fit in the permitted cabin baggage size (maximum length of 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.)) will be allowed as a second item of cabin baggage, and will need to be screened. Larger instruments (e.g. cellos) are also permitted into the cabin following screening. However, passengers should check with their airlines if special arrangements (e.g. purchasing an extra seat) for these large instruments need to be made.

Oversized baggage

All other items of oversized luggage will be required to be placed in the aircraft hold.

Flights to the US

Passengers boarding flights to the USA and items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, will be subjected to secondary search at the gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

• 2 weeks later...

A further relaxation has been announced today.

Passengers on flights from the UK to the US can now bring on board liquids that they buy after the security checkpoint. This brings US-bound flights into line with flights to other destinations.

You still cannot take liquids through the security checkpoint.

And there is an exception: NW flights from Gatwick, on which liquids are still not allowed.

Archived