What are (Carnival) New Year's cruises like???

epikure75

We sailed last year on the Victory out of FL. It was so much fun that this year we are sailing again on New Year's except we are going on Holland America because we wanted a longer cruise.

On New Year's eve there were several parties around the ship. The big party was on Lido deck - music, champagne, and food. At dinner we were given party hats and streamers. Right before midnight they put up some kind of a screen and we got to see New York celebrating in Times Square. They also did a count down - there were lights shaped in 2003 anchored up on one of the railings - they changed 2004 at midnight.

It was loads of fun.

The other thing that I can add is that there were a lot of kids on this sailing both little ones and teenagers. We did not see one instance of kids misbehaving. We enjoyed seeing them having a good time. I do not remember them being up on deck at midnight. I am sure there were some but it was so crowded that they probably blended in. Also, Carnival had parties for them as well.

We sailed two Carnival New Year's cruises (1995 & 1996). What a great time! Up on deck, before midnight...music, noise makers and lots of folks (including the crew) getting ready to party. At midnight there was a significant amount of champagne being poured. Yes, there will be many extended families aboard, but that makes for more fun! If we ever cruise new year's eve again, it will be on Carnival.

Jim

From what I have read our New Year's cruise was not the norm. We sailed on the Fascination out of San Juan for the new millennium. Just about each night a new gift was left in our cabin; pull carts, robes, Perrier Jouet champagne gift set, commemorative pins, baseball hats that lit up, a photo album and a few other things I can't remember. On New Year's Eve they had an open bar plus the hot tubs were filled with ice and champagne. I have to say it was one of the BEST cruises we have been on. The staff was festive and there were few children. It was also one of the cheapest cruises we have been on, 10 days for only $1400 total for both of us (last minute air was a little high but still an excellent deal). Seems many had booked years in advance and paid thousands per person but as time got closer the ship was nowhere near capacity. I had heard that the locals got a special rate of $500 per cabin but that could have been a rumor.

I just spoke to our maitre'd from Paradise about new years cruises earlier today.....he said that they had parties on deck, didn't go into detail, and that the captain when it got time for the countdown would hit the ship's horn as they counted down.

10*BLAST*...9*blast*... 8*blast* etc.

I have been on 2 NY cruises and did not think them all that special. The deck party was OK, but certainly not worth the price of the cruise. It was the only thing different from a normal week. Also, there were sooooo many kids that it really made for a miserable time. Needless to say, I will not be doing a holiday cruise again.

I have been on 2 NY cruises and did not think them all that special. The deck party was OK, but certainly not worth the price of the cruise. It was the only thing different from a normal week. Also, there were sooooo many kids that it really made for a miserable time. Needless to say, I will not be doing a holiday cruise again.

I've got to agree with this poster. We sailed the Destiny on New Year's 2001 and the only thing I found different about the whole cruise was the celebration on the Lido deck on New Year's Eve. It was soooooo crowded, we never got a glass of champagne. It also was packed with families and their kids. For my money, I'll wait the extra week and save $300-400 per person on the cruise, not to mention the extra cost of the airfare over the holidays.

Hi epikure75,

We're on the Legend with you for New Years!

We were on the Glory last year and the week started out with being served Champagne with lunch on the Lido deck, a special dinner menu, printed on special paper that you got to keep, after dinner found party hats left in the cabin by the cabin steward, and then the party on deck featured a large screen and a huge sound system showing the "Dick Clark's Rock New years Eve Special out of New York" including the droping of the ball, of course more Champagne, noise makers and all finished up with a special Buffet in the Red Sail Buffet afterwards! It was a kick!

I even brought New Years decorations for the door of my cabin and in my cabin, to have the spirit all week. The ship still had all the Christmas Decorations up also for the whole week.

Loved it so much, we had to book to do it again this year!

Lorna

• 2 months later...

Lorna:

This will be our first New Years Cruise we ususally go in Feb Presidents week as my husband is a teacher, but our kids are going this time (ages 22 and 20), being they are in college we had to go when they could and we could so it is Christmas week. Sure sounds like a great time. My brother and his wife are going also we sail the Miracle on 12/26/04 this will be my brother's first cruise our 6th. We can't wait and are already making plans for Feb 2006.

Archived