Getting a cab on Disembarkation from Fort Lauderdale

Darspurs

We are staying in Miami Beach for a couple of days after our cruise and wondered if it is difficult to get a cab at Port Everglades or whether you need to book something in advance.

Is there a line of cabs there that you just queue for?

Thanks

there are lines of cabs at Port Everglades outside each terminal

I've never had a problem getting a taxi and have been at the port more than 25 times

Word of caution though: availability and ease could be severely impacted by the number of ships in port on a particular day; if there are 3 ships in, it will be much easier to get a cab than if there are 6 ships that are @Port Everglades

believe there is a web-site (can't think of the name) that might be able to tell you which ships are in Port Everglades on a particular day of the month

also suggest, you might want to call Public Information @Port Everglades and ask if they can tell you which ships will be in Port the day you disembark

however, also keep this in mind: it's probably a 30-45 minute ride from Port Everglades to Miami Beach .. the fare will not be inexpensive and the ride might not be the most comfortable

I'd consider pricing a driver and a car or asking for a flat fare vs, having the meter running .. I'm guessing a cab from Port Everglades to Miami Beach

could easily approach $75.00, especially if there's traffic tie ups

good luck:)

http://www.cruisecal.com will tell you how many ships will be in Ft Lauderdale on the day you disembark.

Saturdays and Sundays are very busy days in Ft Lauderdale during the winter months.

There have been times when our HAL ship was not docked at terminal 26 - HAL's usual erminal. One time we were docked at 22 - could hardly get a taxi at the taxis would begin to make the loop and the RCI people flagged them down before the taxis could get over to our terminal. Another time we were docked halfway down to Miami at a freight dock. Everyone had to be bused up to pier 27 who needed taxis (those who had parked their cars in the garage were bused there) and there were but a handful of taxis there.

I assume you come back Sunday, Nov 5th. There are 3 ships arriving back at port that day. Yours, Caribbean Princess and Radiance of the Seas.

Bad news: It would appear that there will be 10,000 passengers arriving at approx. the same time

Good news: They may be at different terminals so assuming one curise line per terminal, you only have to compete with your fellow passengers.(I am not sure - I was only there a long time ago and was on a short trip to the Bahamas on a small cruise ship)

We waited about a half hour to get a cab after our spring break cruise, and ours was one of the last two colors called for disembarkation. Our hotel wasn't far enough away and the cab starter preferentially moved several other parties ahead who were going further; I guess the poor cabbie that got stuck with us was on the cab starter's coal-for-Christmas list. We gave the cabbie a nice tip, which I hope made up for the $10 fare.

I usually drive to FLL and stay at a hotel the night before a cruise and then park at the port. The last time I left the car at the hotel for free parking for the 10 days and took their shuttle to the port.

Well, getting the shuttle to pick me up to take me back to the hotel was a nightmare and it never showed up so I thought I'd take a cab. Trying to get a cab just to take me to the hotel was a big problem too because they all wanted to make more money taking people to the airport.

I finally jumped into a cab and told him where I wanted to go and then found out later that they are not permitted to NOT take you anywhere you want to go.

It was such a hassle and there was so much commotion at the port what with all the busses and cars and cabs that I decided from now on, I'll park at the port and pay for the parking rather than go through all the hassles again.

If I SHOULD decide I don't want to park at the port...I will call one of those limo services and make a reservation for pick-up and hope they show up.

We've been to Pt. Everglades 4x (all HAL cruises) and found the easiest way to snag a cab is to use one of the baggage porters - they seem to have direct access to the cabs. We've tried "reserving" a cab in advance, but with the crowds around the cab area, we weren't able to connect. I think it's because we couldn't tell them during our reservation what time we'd be getting off the ship. (We're sailing again Nov 13th!)

Archived