vow renewal dress

vfb2girls

Sometime back I was the one who ask about what older cruisers wore on their cruises for formal nights and I got a lot of advice especially on the dressier pants outfits. Well to make a long story short my husband has decided that we should renewal our vows on the ship, we will be married 25 years, and ask would like to see me in a very nice gown as he will be in a tux. So keep in mind that I am 51 and would like to find a dress that would be appropriate for the occasion. So ladies please throw out some suggestions. The one thing I would like is that the dress be in a cream colored or ivory. Thank you

Hi,

Now I'm not sure if there's a certain style you are looking for, or a certain price...those two pieces of information, especially price, will be helpful for us to help. But here's a few I saw on Nordstrom's website that I thought were very nice. But Nordstrom's is a little bit more on the expensive end probably...let me know if you're looking for cheaper prices...

$230.00

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2915874/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6001837?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6001837&P=1

1front.jpg

$188.00

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2892734/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6001837?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6001837&P=1

3front.jpg

$260.00

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2778677/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6001837?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6001837&P=1

4front.jpg

$380.00 - One of my favorites

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2861556/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6001837?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6001837&P=3

5front.jpg

$234.00 - $238.00

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2864009/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6001837?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6001837&P=3

6front.jpg

I hope you like....It's amazing how much fun it is to shop, even when it's not for you!

p.s. I tried putting the pictures of the backs on here...but it will only let me attach 5 photos at a time. So if you click on the links, it will show you pictures of the backs as well...

Wow!!

Chelsea - impressive search. I like all five dresses especially the first one, it is beautiful from the back too! If I need a personal shopper I'll be in touch!:D

vfb - not sure about your personal style or sizing but Chelsea has given you a great start. Congratulations on your renewal and anniversary!

Payd:)

I know she said she was 51...I took that into consideration. It depends on how "young" of a 51 year old she is. My mom is 51 and would definately wear some of these, if not all of them. There are a few that are a little more scandilous than the others, specifically the plunging back in my favorite one. But I also think that they are all very classy and can be worn at any age depending on body type.

She really didn't give too much information to start with, so I started there. If and when she gives more information, I can expand the search. For all I know...I could have totally missed in what she is looking for.

Congrats on 25 years!

Those dresses in the pics above are really beautiful. I was wondering though, can you get away with wearing other colors in a vow renewal ceremony? I was thinking about doing that this year (haven't asked him yet!) but I'm already taking the pink gown and I don't want to pack another one :)

Thank you so much for finding those incredible dresses! As for my style well I am on the short side and probably about 15 pounds overweight at this time but I rejoined WW's and have already lost 5 of those pounds so I am on my way. I also workout with weights so I actually have pretty good arms for an "older" gal. Anyway this is a great start, ans as far as the price of the dress, we got married by the justice of the peace and I was dressed pretty informal so when my husband mentioned us renewing our vows he said he would like to see me in a long ivory colored gown, so I am going to try my hardest to find the right one. I want this time to be really special for us, on our 20 anniversary we went to Disneyworld and we had Minnie and Mickey Mouse renew our vows so I think this is definetly a step up from that. Thanks again for the suggestions.

CVL105, you did a great job!

I am 50 and would wear several of those dresses. The matte jersey is similar to one I have in my closet in black.

I am getting married in November and my dress is quite similar to this (mine is no longer available):

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=802&prodgroup=10

I chose a deep cream color and my dress has a lower, sculpted bodice; the halter straps are seed pearls. I am leaving the train at home:). I plan to cut the dress into cocktail length after the wedding so that I can wear it again.

Have fun shopping!

CVL105, you did a great job!

I am 50 and would wear several of those dresses. The matte jersey is similar to one I have in my closet in black.

I am getting married in November and my dress is quite similar to this (mine is no longer available):

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=802&prodgroup=10

I chose a deep cream color and my dress has a lower, sculpted bodice; the halter straps are seed pearls. I am leaving the train at home:). I plan to cut the dress into cocktail length after the wedding so that I can wear it again.

Have fun shopping!

Gorgeous! You will look smashing!

Some friends of mine had their vows renewed while on a ship, but were very disappointed, in that there were maybe 6 others couples in the chapel with them and the whole service only took about 5 minutes.

So just be prepared or do some inquiry to find out exactly what will happen.....

Jane

Congrats on 25 years!

Those dresses in the pics above are really beautiful. I was wondering though, can you get away with wearing other colors in a vow renewal ceremony? I was thinking about doing that this year (haven't asked him yet!) but I'm already taking the pink gown and I don't want to pack another one :)

Yea! Great to have such a nice celebration!

You can wear whatever you want for a vow renewal, I really don't think anybody expects you to be wearing white this time around!;) Find something you love and go for it!

Colored gowns are getting more commonplace (I had a cousin who wore pink in 1990) and recently I've seen a lot of white gowns with color in them (sashes, insets, etc.) so brides themselvs are even looking beyond white and ivory.

Some friends of mine had their vows renewed while on a ship, but were very disappointed, in that there were maybe 6 others couples in the chapel with them and the whole service only took about 5 minutes.

So just be prepared or do some inquiry to find out exactly what will happen.....

Jane

After finding out that the Captain only did a group form of vow renewal for a huge fee (we thought) on a day that he chose not us, my brother became ordained so he could perform our personalized ceremony. The cruise ship closed the library for us on the day of our actual anniversary so we could have a private area to use and it was very special for us.

Here is what I wore.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/287844401/1287845549035581067NFpIId

Another view.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/287844401/1287845563035581067ibxlNz

After finding out that the Captain only did a group form of vow renewal for a huge fee (we thought) on a day that he chose not us, my brother became ordained so he could perform our personalized ceremony. The cruise ship closed the library for us on the day of our actual anniversary so we could have a private area to use and it was very special for us.

Here is what I wore.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/287844401/1287845549035581067NFpIId

Another view.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/287844401/1287845563035581067ibxlNz

Suze, I could barely make out what you were wearing because I was so blindsided by your extreme radiance and happiness! It brought tears to my eyes! Your dress pales to your glowing happiness!

I know she said she was 51...I took that into consideration. It depends on how "young" of a 51 year old she is. My mom is 51 and would definately wear some of these, if not all of them. There are a few that are a little more scandilous than the others, specifically the plunging back in my favorite one. But I also think that they are all very classy and can be worn at any age depending on body type.

She really didn't give too much information to start with, so I started there. If and when she gives more information, I can expand the search. For all I know...I could have totally missed in what she is looking for.

I thought all the gowns were beautiful though a little "bare" for me as I have sun damage on my chest which shows my 52 years. (this is why you younger gals should not sun bathe or use tanning beds-you will regret it later and believe me at 50 you will NOT feel your life is over and it will no longer matter) With a beautiful shrug/bolero I could get away with a couple of them. Papell and Scala both has some great evening wear shrugs.

Suze, I could barely make out what you were wearing because I was so blindsided by your extreme radiance and happiness! It brought tears to my eyes! Your dress pales to your glowing happiness!

Blue Herons, thanks!! It's been 4 years since we renewed our vows and I still feel the same way.

Congrats on 25 years!

I read that a vow renewal was NOT to be thought of a a second wedding. With that in mind, and considereing we renewed our vows on St. John (Hawksnest Beach) not on the ship, I wore a below the knee, pink/fusha, silk, halter dress. DH insisted he wanted to wear a tropical shirt (very understated in beige and cream) and shorts and sandals. Though I would have liked to wear something a little more "special" a long dress would have looked silly with him in shorts!:rolleyes: I figured it was his renewal as well, and I really didn't care what I wore as much as I cared that we had been married 25 years and brought up three children and survived it all, and I was getting the beach, sand, and surf renewal I wanted!!

In short, I think the row renewal gurus would think your pink dress was a good choice!

Good luck on convincing him about the renewal. Actually my DH wasn't too keen on it, but we were doing the cruise for our 25th anniversary anyway so it was a good fit. We went with a wedding planner on St. John, did not go through the ship becuase we wanted the beach. Also, after the renewal DH told me he was very glad we did it and the vows really were so meaningful.

I just think, like any bride, you should go and try on a hundred dresses (plus or minus :) ) to find the perfect one for you.

I think it is wonderfully sweet that your husband wants you to be the bride you didn't get to be the first time around! I also don't think the amount of time the ceremony takes, or who else should be present should make any difference at all. The ceremony is for the two of you and should be as dressy and beautiful as you wish.

Take lots of pictures!!

Archived