Stingrays and the Crocodile Hunter

M&MCruisin

Among other things, the kind of stingray at Stingray City is the Southern stingray and the kind that Steve Irwin boxed in was a Bull Ray.

To compare a stingray to a pit bull is absurd. Stingrays are very docile and have no offensive capability. The stinger is purely for defensive purposes and mostly against sharks which like to eat them.

I've been to Stingray City in Grand Cayman 3 times - each time I went back because it was a beautiful spot and a wonderful afternoon. The sandbar where you anchor is in ~4 feet of water - the stingrays swim around the boat and if you don't feel comfortable getting in the water you can enjoy watching it all from the boat. When you do get in the water you walk and stand in chest deep water, but you're not swimming around. I did wear water shoes just to be on the safe side because I'm overly cautious, but most people went in barefoot. I'll be honest that I didn't go in the water until my 2nd trip there but the tour operators are professionals and know how to handle the stingrays and are right there with you when you get to pet them. These same stingrays have lived near that sandbar for years and to them the people from the boats mean food. The crocodile hunter was in the ocean swiming under water with a stingray that was not used to being fed by people which is a totally different situation from the Grand Cayman Stingray City one. Even if you don't get in the water with the stingrays, I highly recommend going there.

I think that the sting rays are starting to get revenge from years of people handling them. I linked a story from the Houston Chronicle where a sting ray jumped into a boat and stung someone.

I'm still planning to visit the sting ray sandbar in GC.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/4269755.html

I got a little worried this morning when I heard that on the Today Show. My hubby reminded me that that was a different type of ray than we will be working with in February in GC. Eagle ray vs. Southern ray.

My understanding was that the injury happened when he was trying to pick it up and throw it back out in the water, after it landed in his boat...when I first heard it...I thought the stingray flew out of the water and stung/barbed him in the chest at the same time...headlines were a little misleading. Yea, if I picked up a rattlesnake without knowing the proper technique.....ouch!!! You get my meaning. Very sad story, hope he survives...sounds very serious! So bazaar, and he was enjoying a wonderful day with his grown granddaughter!! One just never knows!

I think that the sting rays are starting to get revenge from years of people handling them. I

I'm still planning to visit the sting ray sandbar in GC.

To say nothing of making boots, wallets, belts, etc. out of them.

Now is probably a great time for the sandbar. Perhaps the crowds will be smaller and more stingrays to play with those who know better.

I totally understand every1's concerns and points of view. I just recently returned from GC - It was amazing. I too asked about the StingRays due to Steve Irwins death....made the decision....and dont regret it abit. I think that it is a personal choice and ofcourse if you are scared, then i dont think you could relax and really enjoy the experience. I was a bit hesitant, but at the last minute changed my mind. And I'm so happy I did. We are all different and what might suit one, doesn't suit another ;) Keep an open mind and have no regrets I say!!:)

I totally understand every1's concerns and points of view. I just recently returned from GC - It was amazing. I too asked about the StingRays due to Steve Irwins death....made the decision....and dont regret it abit. I think that it is a personal choice and ofcourse if you are scared, then i dont think you could relax and really enjoy the experience. I was a bit hesitant, but at the last minute changed my mind. And I'm so happy I did. We are all different and what might suit one, doesn't suit another ;) Keep an open mind and have no regrets I say!!:)

Did your guide say anything to calm people's concerns before doing it? Any words of wisdom? Reassuring thoughts?

You know, I guess swimming with the rays, is probably safer then living with a neighbor that owns a Rottweiler dog.

I'll take my chances with a Sting Ray....just my thoughts.

The Rays are wild creaturs.. yes... but simply understanding that they are semi dormant from being feed is like

having a snake for a pet... its still wild BUT if caution is always used when handling it, then it can be enjoyed fully.

My thoughts are that Steve Irwin was probably abusing the sting ray as he did with most of the animals we saw him deal with on his shows. How many times can you see him swinging snakes, alligators, etc. He was eventually going to be dealt with in this manner. I'm surprised though that it was a sting ray that got him and not a different animal. My concern is for his child (you know the one we saw him placing near an alligator) (I think) on one of his shows. Sorry, just my feeling about what he did on his animal shows.

I did the sting ray tour in Nassua and would never do it there again or suggest it to anyone.....

I am going to go to Sting Ray bay with a tour in Grand Cayman though....

You know why? I will have way more space and if I don't want to get in the water with them I don't have to. I just want to see them...

We were crowded with the rays in Nassau and we were encouraged to go out in the strong waves and have the sand wash from under our feet, making it very hard to stay balanced... With the rays getting upset at us because the guide poured the octopus juice in the water and wasn't giving them the octupus. The water was hard to see through becaus eof the waves and the juice... The guides were not very old...

So for my next tour I will take more cautious choices... Like if waters are ruff I will not be in the water... If the guides don't make me feel safe, I won't go in or I will leave the water right away. I will make sure I have my space...

I will not act a fool!

Jeff Irwin was crazy for doing the many things he did.. Maybe he wasn't as safe as he should have been.. I dont know.. But I am going to give the Rays another chance... :)

I did this years ago. I thought the barbs were removed from those rays, correct me if i am wrong, I hope i am not as I allowed my 11 year old son to swim with them and the thought of something happening to him is unthinkable. We had already booked a swim in GC for Dec. when SI died. I am very nervous now as my son is hooked on swimming with the rays since he swam in Nassau and the rays really liked him and tried to get him to get on there backs for a ride. I don't think I will be able to keep him out of the water.

I did this years ago. I thought the barbs were removed from those rays, correct me if i am wrong, I hope i am not as I allowed my 11 year old son to swim with them and the thought of something happening to him is unthinkable. We had already booked a swim in GC for Dec. when SI died. I am very nervous now as my son is hooked on swimming with the rays since he swam in Nassau and the rays really liked him and tried to get him to get on there backs for a ride. I don't think I will be able to keep him out of the water.

As Jmo1 said, the barbs are not removed. This is in open waters on a sand bar. These rays swim there regularly and are used to interacting with people to get squid to eat.

Are you sure you are talking about stingrays with you son? I've never heard of a ray trying to get a kid to like them and ride on their back? In fact I've never heard of anyone trying to ride on a stingray's back. The rays like anyone they think has food to feed them. Riding on one? I don't think so.

Archived