Credit Card/Cash

septemberman

Hello everyone!

Question for you all. My wife and I are travelling on the Oosterdam in December. First time on HAL. Will they let me use cash when I check in.

And if they will, how much should I anticipate they will want from me.

My wife and I don't drink, won't do any of the shore excursions, and probably won't buy any of the photographs. The last cruise we took on Princess, we spent less than 200.00.

Any thoughts? I just want to make sure that I bring enough, however, I doubt that we will spend much. Is there a certain amount that HAL would want for each person?

Thanks so much

Michael

I'm not sure but I remember reading on Hal's site that they hold $60 per person per day on your credit card I don't know if they would expect the same with cash. If I can find the link again I'll post it here.

Planning & Advice:

Money Matters

Shipboard Account

Our cashless society is designed to make your life on board as simple as possible. When you board the ship, your account has already been activated and you may make purchases by simply showing your guest identification card and signing a receipt. On embarkation day, you will need to register your credit or debit card (Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, Discover®) in order to use your onboard account for shipboard purchases. Your card will be pre-authorized for USD$60 per person for each day of your cruise. At the end of your cruise, you will receive a final statement, and your card will be charged only for the actual amount of your purchases. Please inform your credit or debit card issuer in advance that your card will be used on a Holland America ship. This will help prevent delays in obtaining pre-authorization on board. Some banks may keep the pre-authorization in place for up to 30 days. If you do not want to use a credit or debit card, the ship will collect a cash deposit from you at time of boarding in the same pre-authorization amount. Any excess deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the cruise. Traveler’s checks may be cashed at the front office to make your deposit. Personal checks are not accepted on board.

Cash is smash!

Yet with your credit card you do have full recourse if there are problems which may crop up.

And with most now there are other advantages too ..money rebates..points..mileage.. etc.. Discover Card when owned by SEARS, then, as a Bank in *****, DE gave money back to you when you used it.. they still do and have many benefits even different personal choice pictures on them too.

Now Morgan Stanley owns it and has increased the shops that accept it worldwide more.

MC/VISA does do a lot as well. AMEX has one of the largest OnBoard Credits available and a Grill Dinner too..

Cash will usually be accepted in most places too.:D

I'm not sure but I remember reading on Hal's site that they hold $60 per person per day on your credit card I don't know if they would expect the same with cash. If I can find the link again I'll post it here.

Yes, they require you to place the same amount with cash as a deposit. You get the cash refund back when you leave - if there is one :rolleyes: Also, because you are depositing with cash, the ship's services will notify you when you are close to your deposit limit. I'm not sure if they do this if you just give them a credit card.

You do not need to put down the same deposit in cash as you would with a credit card, at least that is my experience. My only problem was in checking in before boarding, the representative was unaware you could do case on board and had to check with a supervisor (apparently she was new).

In my case, I had a fair idea of what I would spend onboard (between the $10/person/day tip, drinks, excursions booked onboard, purchases in shops, etc.), paid that in Traveler's checks and got about $10 back at the end of the cruise.

If you desire to pay in "cash" as opposed to using a credit card -

Suggest you bring Traveler's Checks. They would be much safer than

carrying cash.

However, using a credit card is so much easier and also an advantage

if there were to be a question regarding any charges........

Archived