Other Passport Questions

CruisinNana

When you renew your passport, do you have to turn in the old passport or are you allowed to keep it?

I assume that in order to renew your passport, you have to have a new set of pics taken, but surely you don't have to take original birth certificate again...right?

Is it possible to renew via internet?

You will need new pics and will have to send in your old passport. They will return your old passport with the new one. That way you don't lose all those memories contained in those little stamps. You can get the necessary forms online, but you will still need to mail them in. Do it sooner than later to avoid extra expediting fees.

You will need new pics and will have to send in your old passport. They will return your old passport with the new one. That way you don't lose all those memories contained in those little stamps. You can get the necessary forms online, but you will still need to mail them in. Do it sooner than later to avoid extra expediting fees.

some postoffices and city halls have a passport window and you can turn your renewal stuff there

You will need new pictures but you don`t have to send in a birth certificate again. All you need is your old passport, the application filled in, two pictures of the required size, and $67. I mailed mine certified, return receipt requested.........jean:cool:

When you renew your passport, do you have to turn in the old passport or are you allowed to keep it?

I assume that in order to renew your passport, you have to have a new set of pics taken, but surely you don't have to take original birth certificate again...right?

Is it possible to renew via internet?

See http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

For DDs renewal we had to send old passport. They sent it back and did something to it so it would be known that it was no longer valid. I know we had to bring the birth certificate to the post office, but that could have just been to verify that we were her parents.

Last Year I Mailed In My Old Passport With Form And Money, Certified.

The Problem Was When The Passport Office Mailed The New One Back It Was Regular Mail, And It Got Lost.

After Many Phone Calls To Both Post Office And Passportoffice I Finall Received A Temporary Passport For 1 Year Only.

We Had Plns To Go To Europe For Several Month, So This Passport Was Not Long Enough. It Took Many More Phone Calls, I Had To Send The Temorary Passport Back And It Was Renewed On Page 23 For Ten Years.

Now Everytime It Get's Checked I Have To Say Page 23 Please.

Moral, If Anyway Possible Go To The Office, Do Not Mail.

Ortrud

Wow! Great advice from all of you! Thank you!

I hate to give up my passport for any length of time because I use it as my ID whenever traveling through any airport because it is so much easier to use a passport as opposed to taking my driver's license out of my wallet each time. I'm always afraid I am going to lose my wallet in the rush and confusion going to security.

I will definitely go to the post office with my new pics and pay the expedited charges.

Thanks again for all the advice and description of your experiences.

Archived