Hawaiian Cruises

babets

We've been on two of them. The first was Celebrity Infinity out of Vancouver, 12 days, flying back to Massachusetts from Honolulu. It was the best cruise we've ever been on (19 cruises, most of them long ones.) The second was in May this year, 14 days round trip from San Diego. Another lovely cruise. On the first we had more days in the islands, less at sea. The second was 2 days longer but more time at sea, less in the islands. Even though we loved both cruises, I don't think I'd do it again in the islands. They are just way to beautiful and it is exhausting and near impossible to see everything in the time allowed. We have seen all the "must sees" done all the "must dos" but didn't have any time to just enjoy the beaches and relax. Idf we ever go back, and I sure hope we do, it'll be a land vacation with a week on Maui, definitely a week on Kauai, the most beautiful and maybe a few days on the Big Island Hawaii. I am also curious about Lanai and Molokai. It's so expensive to do a land trip there though.

We did a round trip on Princess this past April and found that with only five days on the islands you were hard press to see the sight. If we do it again we'd fly to the islands and spend 5 days there then cruise back. The cruise back has 5 days around hte islands plus 5 days at sea to re coup!!!:)

Bill

We did a 7 day cruise on NCL Star back in 2002. We flew from Boston MA to Denver CO and then to Honolulu. A long flight ...but the connection broke it up into two 5 1/2 hr flights (almost 11 hrs total). We also had a post package where we stayed in Honolulu for 2 nights at a hotel before heading back. We flew back into LAX, and then to Boston. The return flight was alittle quicker cause we had good tail winds. We liked the cruise and plan on doing one again...either a b2b or possibly more pre or post time on an island.

We did the NCL Pride of Aloha in I think 2005. We only had 7 days to cruise, so NCL was the only option.

I think it's a fabulous inexpesnive way to see four islands and unpack once.

The worst part was the flying. If we did it again, we'd stop in L.A. or San Francisco for a day or two instead of flying straight back again. 13 hours in a plane was kind of tough.

I'm sure the itineraries have changed since we went on our in 2003. It was on Legend. We flew directly from NJ to Honolulu and boarded the ship there. We spent 7 days exploring the islands and ports, then 4 days at sea ending in Ensenada, Mexico, where we boarded buses and took a 1 hour ride up to San Diego airport and flew back from there. I liked Hawaii for the first part of the trip, doing anything and everything and getting totally exhausted from activities, then having 4 days to lounge, read, sleep and relax. The ride across the Pacific is very, very windy! I'm talking don't even TRY to wear a hat on deck. Not so enjoyable to lay in the sun unless you go to the back of the ship where it's the least windy. The Legend is pretty outdated and smaller, so there are less activities to do. Some people may get bored, but we didn't mind. We were still on vacation. There are probably different ships now. We were also one of the youngest (35) onboard, so a few of the rigorous excursions on the islands were cancelled because not enough people signed up. Still, it was an excellent cruise.

We'd highly recommend a cruise of the Hawaiian Islands if it would be your first visit there. You'll get a taste of each of the islands, and hopefully, the 'must-see' places. Our first visit to Hawaii was on a repo cruise on RCCL - 4 days precruise in Waikiki, then cruising the islands for 5 days, then to Ensenada. We loved the big island and have gone there a number of times since to stay. Last April, we cruised again, round trip from LA on Princess, and loved it (same trip as SSAPIERS who posted above - "Hi Bill"), but we love sea days also. Be prepared though, you will hard pressed to see all you want. Figure on being tired at day-end and sleeping well. Good luck and have fun.

Len

I have done Hawaii twice on the Legend of the Seas. Once as a repositioning cruise out of Vancouver and once out of Ensenada. It is a great way to see four islands. We reserved a rental car on each of the islands ahead of time. The rental companies meet you with their van at the pier and take you to their office, usually the airport, to pick up your car. We got to see more than the other people at our table and at our pace. Have a great time!

We were on the Infinity (inaugural to Hawaii) 13 day cruise, 2001 (March, if I remember correctly). Flew from NJ to LAX then took Celebrity's bus down to Ensenada. The ship was a week and a half late so we were upgraded to a suite. The balcony was very large, and it was wonderful. We received a tour of the bridge (there was only one other couple invited) and champagne, etc in the stateroom each night.

We surprised my son in-law's mother (who lives on Maui) by sneaking up behind her in the gallery that she works at in Lahaina. The Infinity, which was anchored out, was on the front page of the local paper the next morning, and she sent it to me.

It was the 2nd time we had been to the Hawaiian Islands, but cruising them is so much more enjoyable!

ahhhhhh....we must go back.;)

Archived