Questions regarding NYC Cruiseship Pier???

CaribbeanCrazy

Is it possible to walk from where the cruiseship dock to town?

The reason I'm asking is because DH and I are doing a btb out of New York. So I was wondering if it would be possible to walk to town on our turn around day.

Also do you have in and out privledges if you park at the pier parking for 180.00/month.

And one last question...when we exit the cruiseship on our last day...can we leave the car parked there for the day if we have days left. We would put our luggage in the car...and then walk/cab to town to do more sightseeing. We would pick the car up later that same day.

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

Is it possible to walk from where the cruiseship dock to town?

The reason I'm asking is because DH and I are doing a btb out of New York. So I was wondering if it would be possible to walk to town on our turn around day.

Also do you have in and out privledges if you park at the pier parking for 180.00/month.

And one last question...when we exit the cruiseship on our last day...can we leave the car parked there for the day if we have days left. We would put our luggage in the car...and then walk/cab to town to do more sightseeing. We would pick the car up later that same day.

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

You don't say which cruise pier but I will for a second assume its Manhattan and not the one in Brooklyn. Yes you can easily walk off the pier and go to any subway station and get around town. Unless you know the area you really don't want to drive around manhattan. I have never heard of in and out priviledges at this pier since they charge you each time you enter. The Pier is locked when there are no ships in town so unless you plan to take your car out on a day that there is a cruise ship there you may have a poeblem...

I have no idea about the parking but my wife and I walked from the ship to the Empire State building. It was a little bit of a long walk and if I knew the way the hop on hop off buses worked in NYC before we made the whole walk I would have probably have picked up a ticket and used it sooner than we did. Some of the neighborhoods right near the dock had some rather unsavory looking characters standing around sharing a bottle of wine or drinking beer but luckily no one bothered us either on the walk out or the walk back from the nearest hop on hop off bus stop we could find.

Have a great next cruise.

There really is almost no area of Manhattan that is unsafe below 96th Street(and most above is safe as well)...I am sure that the people drinking would not bother you. It is actually surprising that the police didn't move them on since on street drinking is illegal in Ny(one of the reasons why there are less shootings in NY is that the police stop and frisk anyone drinking on the street- so they know not to be armed because its only a summons for on the street drinking but one year at least in jail mandatory for carrying an unlicensed concealed weapon). You can get your own on and off bus for much less by buying a $7.00 all day metrocard that card that can be used unlimitedly for buses and the subway...

The nearest subway is 4 Avenue blocks on 8th Ave. Slightly uphill and goes by very industrial safe areas. But there is the 50th St and 42nd St. bus right from 12th Ave. It is a LONG walk to the Empire State Building, simple to get to taking public transportation however. There are maps and schedules on the MTA website for both buses and subways. Look them over before you go. Be advised that the 50 bus runs about hourly on weekends, so can be a long wait. The 42 bus runs more frequently. Stop is across from the Circle line. This bus is probably preferred for the "in town" reference, can get off at 7th Ave and be in Times Square and can connect anywhere else you want to go from there.

Be advised buses ONLY TAKE coins, if you are coming from your ship since you won't have any accessability to a METRO card.

We were at the Manhattan Pier in August.

I remember seeing a sign that said that in and out was not allowed. I am not from NY but I think that a cab or subway is your best bet, especially if you are going to be back on the ship.

We tried to drop our car off a day early since we already were in NYC. We were told that if there is no ship in port, the garages are locked and closed. On this day, there were no ships in so we needed to park at our hotel.

Archived