Veendam from Tampa-Anyone Taken It? Info Please

monk888

I live in the Tampa Bay Area and just got back from an Eastern Caribbean sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale which was excellent. I see that the Veendam is sailing from Tampa right across the Bay, and was wondering if anyone out there has sailed her before, preferably from Tampa, but any experiences would be helpful. Thoughts about the ship, the itinerary (Key West, Santo Tomaso de Castilla, Belize City, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Tampa) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Monk

We took this cruise on the Veendam last March and had a great trip. The only real negative was the pre-night hotel in Tampa (long story). The ship was showing a bit of wear and tear (tears in wallpaper, dings in the wood, etc) but it didn't really bother us and I think it's been thru Drydock since then so is probably all cleaned up. We thought the food was excellent. Dining room service not quite what we'd had previously but still good. We did this one because the ports were new for us. We'd never been to Key West and it was a nice afternoon but I think I'd have preferred to go to Half Moon Cay. Belize was fantastic. We did the Cave Tubing Tour which was really fun. The scenery going to and from was also nice. Heard a few that didn't take tours say there wasn't anything to really see on their own so would recommend a tour here. Santo Tomas was nice too. We took a full day tour that started with a river cruise on the Rio Dulce and then went to some Ruins in the afternoon. The ruins weren't the greatest (we've been to Tulum before) but we had a great guide so it was interesting anyway. The River Tour was very relaxing and beautiful scenery. Costa Maya was also nice. We did the Safari tour to a very nice beach. They have also built up a very nice shopping and entertainment center right at the pier which everyone seemed to enjoy. You can see how they are really planning to build up this place and I suspect it will be like Conzumel in a few years so it was nice to see it before hand. there were a lot of other tours to ruins that people said were great. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

SharonN,

Thanks so much for your swift reply. Sounds like a good time. I will take you up on your kind offer to answer more questions:

1. How was the weather in March when you went down there? I have lived in St. Pete for 30 years, so I know about the weather here, but how about over there at that time of year?

2. What deck/cabin/category were you in? We are thinking of a Veranda suite/mini-suite. Were you pleased with the cabin?

3. This ship is quite small as they go now. We just came off the Caribbean Princess which is 106,000 tons. How did the ship handle the waves? Was the ride rough at all? Did you encounter any weather to test it at all?

4. What about for kids? My son is 10. What's there to do on this ship for a 10-12 year old? How many pools? Gaming arcade?

5. How are the balconies on this ship? Are they good size? My Wife tends to live on the balcony.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your time and the information very much.

The Monk

I'll answer the ones I can.

1. How was the weather in March when you went down there? I have lived in St. Pete for 30 years, so I know about the weather here, but how about over there at that time of year?

I'm originally from Los Angeles so used to the heat but not the humidity (even after 10 yrs in the mid west) but it wasn't too bad in March. I think it was pretty warm (80s?) but not unbearable most of the week. We had really dense fog out of Tampa the first night. It rained off and on the day we were in Santo Tomas but that's about it.

2. What deck/cabin/category were you in? We are thinking of a Veranda suite/mini-suite. Were you pleased with the cabin?

We were in a D on the Main Deck which is the type we ususally go for. The size is very large compared to other lines and the same as we've had on other HAL ships.

3. This ship is quite small as they go now. We just came off the Caribbean Princess which is 106,000 tons. How did the ship handle the waves? Was the ride rough at all? Did you encounter any weather to test it at all?

It was very smooth and could only actually feel the motion one day near the end. No real storms that I remember. We really like this size of ship ourselves. It never seems crowded.

4. What about for kids? My son is 10. What's there to do on this ship for a 10-12 year old? How many pools? Gaming arcade?

Sorry we don't have any kids and there were only a few on the week we went.

5. How are the balconies on this ship? Are they good size? My Wife tends to live on the balcony.

Sorry haven't tried a Veranda yet (saving that for Alaska in 2006).

SharonN,

Thanks so much for your response. I appreciate your answers to these questions. We had a great time on the Caribbean Princess, but I would prefer not to make the 4 hour drive to Ft. Lauderdale again unless necessary and have heard good things about HAL.

Any other HAL cruisers out there have experience taking cruises out of Tampa or on the Veendam they would like to share? All comments greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

The Monk

This November, we are taking the Veendam for the second year in a row. Out of 14 cruises, it counts as one of the best so far. Very handy to get up late on sailing day, pack and drive 15 minutes to the port!

We have been on the newest, largest ships, the longest at the time the SS Norway (built in 1960) and some smaller ones. To us, after a while, it's not the size that counts but the experience. Ports don't matter anymore either, we go just for the cruise.

The Explorer of the Seas was like going to the mall. A nice experience. Each ship and line has different pro's and con's. In May, we were on the Caribbean Princes, just 6 weeks old, but felt the older Golden Princess was better. We don't plan to go on the Caribbean Princess again.

What we liked about the Veendam, other than not having to drive for 5 hours, was the cut flowers, lemonade at the pool, wooden deck chairs on the promanade, white glove treatment, enclosed pool, etc. The balcony was the typical size with room for two chairs and a table. The BB cat Verandah room had a whirlpool bathtub, the Caribbean Princess had the smallest shower I've ever encountered.

Don't know your age group, we are early 50's and it was just right. Celebrity was too stuffy, Carnival too loose, Veendam just right.

Unknown to many outsiders is that after leaving the dock at 5:00, at about 7:00, you pass under the Sunshine skyway which is pretty cool.

Hi there!

We have sailed on the Veendam out of Tampa one time, and my wife has been an additional time with her mother. We love it, and have a 14 day Southern Caribbean already booked in 2005.

Embarkation is quite easy at Terminal 6 in Tampa. Everything works quite smoothly. I suggest getting there between 11:00 and 12:00. Parking in the fenced area right there at the terminal is easy. You can drop off your luggage and the rest of your party, then circle around to the adjoining parking lot, and be back to the terminal in just a few minutes. The parking lot has lots of lights, has a high fence, and supposedly has security. I've parked there before. It cost $10 a day, payable in advance. They take all credit cards except Diners Club, and cash. A 7 day cruise is $70. The way they have things set up there, it's easy.

I have some pictures of the terminal and Veendam here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/CrackerKen

The size of the Veendam is nice. It's not a mega ship, and I like it that way. We have been on the Ryndam and Veendam, both "S Class" ships. There can be some movement on board, no doubt about it. Big ships have movement too, relative to the sea conditions. These ships seems to be stable, and they do have stabilizers. Stabilizers don't work for pitching, or the up and down movement of the bow/stern, only the rolling movement, side to side. If sea sickness is a concern (both of us have it), just take some Bonine pills with you and have fun. Unless you encounter a tropical storm, or a cold front, the seas in the Caribbean shouldn't be too bad.

They do have a kids club on the Veendam. We don't have kids, so no direct experience there.

We live in Lakeland, so the 30 minute ride to the port is much better than going to Ft L'dale, by a long shot.

We always book inside cabins, so I can't help with the balcony.

On the Western route, Belize was our favorite, and Costa Maya our least favorite. We had booked the Rio Dulce/Ruins tour in Guatemala, but it was cancelled due to a lack of interest (I guess everyone was too cheap to buy it or something).

This certainly won't be anything close to the Caribbean Princes, that's for sure. We are booked on that ship in Sept., just to try something different, and I'm sure it will be.

We think the Veendam is a really nice ship. The food and service we received on the Veendam was great.

If you try it, I hope you enjoy.

Ken

cruzincurt, Cracker Ken and missylou,

Thanks so much for your responses. Sounds like a very nice ship. I would really like to give the Veendam a try since it is so close to home on a very good line. I just need to determine which of the itineraries would be best and when to go. I appreciate the info on the ports you have provided. If you had to choose between the two itineraries, which would you choose, or does it really depend on what each person is looking for in the cruise? (Blue=Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Costa Maya or Red=Key West, Belize City, Santo Tomas de Castilla, Cozumel). I'm 43, the Wife is 41 and the son is 10. We're not big partying types.

Cracker Ken, Please allow me to return the favor of your input on the Veendam. If you click on the link below, it will take you to my review of the Caribbean Princess. We just sailed her on June 26-July 3 and had a very good time doing the Eastern Caribbean route (St. Thomas, St. Martin, Princess Cays). Most all of the initial kinks of this brand new ship you may have heard about have been worked out, very well I might add. Beautiful ship with a very good crew. I realize this is an HAL board and do not mean to offend anyone, but I wanted to give you the courtesy of my full review on the ship, for what it's worth. Enjoy your cruise!

Anyone else out there who has experience out of Tampa or on the Veendam in general, I'd love to hear all you have to say. Thanks so much.

Link to review of the Caribbean Princess:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=1560846#post1560846

The Monk

We just booked to sail Veendam out of Tampa in January. We have never been to Tampa and are looking forward to the "change" from FLL.

We will be doing a pre-cruise stay in early January and expect that it will be cool weather. That will be okay as we'll have enough sun and fun time on Veendam.

About how cool would it normally be around early January?

Cracker Ken .... So very much appreciated your photos of Veendam!!!

Really helped in knowing what to expect!

Aren't we going to be on the same Veendam on 1/15/05 14-Night Cruise to the Southern Caribbean?

Thanks Again! Please "Keep-In-Touch"! OCruisers :)

sail7seas,

The weather here in the Tampa Bay Area in January is usually beautiful. Cool in the morning with highs in the high 70's. However, it can get wierd. Sometimes in January, it is still hot, like around 85 and we still have our AC on. Some years it can get down right cold, at least what passes for cold around here, with lows around 50 and highs in the 65-70 range. Let me know where you are thinking of staying. May be able to give you a suggestion or two. I've lived here for 30 years. Enjoy!

Cracker Ken,

Yes, thanks very much for the link to the photos. A picture, or many pictures in this case, is truly worth a thousand words.

The Monk

OCruisers - Reference the 1/15/05 Veendam sailing - Actually, it will be my wife and mother-in-law on that one. I get to drop them off at the ship and return home. I have to work. :( We will both be sailing on Veendam for the same itinerary on 11/26/05.

sail7seas - Regarding the temps in Jan - As The Monk said, it can be weird here. I have lived and worked in the Tampa area all my life, and I've seen great variations. I've seen hard freezes with significant orange crop damages (like 4 or more hours at less than 28 degrees) just inland from Tampa and high 20s to low 30s in Tampa. The worst I can remember was our "snow storm" on 1/22/77. We got 2 inches just E of Tampa, the overpasses were frozen over in Tampa on the Interstate and there were a lot of wrecks everwhere. I was a deputy sheriff at the time and I had to work that day. Needless to say, we aren't used to that sort of thing here. I've been to the beach in Dec and Jan too. We can have a cold front and it could drop into the 30s or 40s in Tampa, and 2 days later we could have 80 degree weather. In short - Bring at least a light jacket or sweater - it could be cool at sailaway or at disembarkation time. You never know. BTW - I read your post ref the Marriott Waterside - I hope you manage to book a room there, it's the best in downtown Tampa. The Wyndam on Harbour Island or the Hyatt Regency downtown would be a reasonable alternatives. The Marriott Waterside will put you right next to the street car line and transportation to some interesting places.

Monk - Thanks much for the info on the Caribbean Princess. When the Veendam gets to Tampa over in the fall, take a trip down to the bottom of Davis Islands on the S Side of the Peter O. Knight airport. There's places you can park. Get there about 5:00 and you can see the Veendam sail from port. It all depends on whether or not they leave exactly on time, and it will take a while to get down the channel. It's a fun thing to do. You might even get to see the Carnival ship leave port with all the folks hooping, hollering and partying out on deck.;)

Ken

Monk and Cracker Ken .........

Thank you for your responses. Helps me alot.

We have made our booking with HAL for Marriott Waterside and that is where we wish to stay. However, I read here that sometimes, HAL has taken the booking for their pre-cruise hotel (in this case Marriott) and then when it is time for documents, the hotel that passengers thought they had booked is not where they are sent. My TA requested a confirmation from HAL that we would be at Marriott and they refuse to issue such a confirmation. All they did was confirm a two day pre-cruise stay hotel. We are not willing to chance them taking their pick of where we shall stay and then simply telling us "where to go". Bad habit of mine, but for my money I like to have a say on where I am spending it. :) We like to pick the hotel we will be sleeping in.

So, we are considering whether we should just book Wyndam on our own as that is our second choice. (We tried booking Marriott on our own but it is full....that is another reason I am uneasy HAL will send us elsewhere.)

As time gets sooner, I hope you'll share some suggestions for good dinners. Thank you.

The Veendam I've sailed on out of Tampa was the previous Veendam. However, I have sailed in a B verandah cabin on the current one, out of another port.

Not in a position to reply to the children's program on HAL.

As to the verandah, I'd say the diagram in the brochures is pretty accurate. You'll find a chaise and a chair along with a small table handy for putting your favorite beverages and reading material on. We didn't find it at all crowded. There is room for the chaise to fully recline, so I'd 'guess' it is at least 6' deep.

When we sailed on her (2001), I seem to remember the area below the rail being metal and we couldn't see the ocean while seated. However, I've never seen a problem on S class ships with passengers not finding deck chairs/loungers on public decks. We've always seen TONS of available chairs.

We've found sailing from Tampa to be smoother than sailing out of S Fla. as you're not not crossing the Straights of Florida where the Gulf Stream narrows and tends to get 'bumpier'.

We haven't done the 'red' itinerary, but we've been eyeing it. I seem to remember some reviews of it saying that it was quite a 'tender' ride (20 min??) to 1 or 2 of the ports (Belize and/or Santo Tomas de Castilla). The ports provided their own barge-like 'tenders' that held many more passengers than the ship's own tenders. These reviews were probably wiped out when the Boards changed (HAL Board lost a LOT posts). I'd say that it depends upon your interest and which schedule is sailing the week you'd like to go.

We wound up with my half sister in our B cabin on the Amsterdam and she found the bed on the sofa very comfortable (and she isn't one to suffer in silence). The cabin steward converted it at turn down to the bed and back to the sofa when making up the cabin in the morning.

I'd found your great review last week of the CP and gave it to our friends who are sailing on her in Sept for their 30th Anniv. After reading it DH is even considering on her.

ENJOY!

Thanks to all of you for the great info.

Cracker Ken, Thanks for the suggestion. I will head over to Tampa when I know the Veendam is in port and give it a good look see.

sail7seas, If you love steaks and wine, I've got one word for you, Berns. Berns is World famous for steak. They have one of the most extensive wine collections in the US, if not the largest. It would be a special night out. You won't get out of there for less than a C note, at a bare minimum, but it's well worth it for the full experience. You'd have to take a cab as it is not in walking distance of the Marriott (which is a great hotel), but it would be great. Reservations are a must. Make them several weeks in advance. They also have a great dessert room upstairs. Each booth is made out of an old giant wine barrel. Each booth has its own little TV and piped in music channels. All desserts are superlative (the Macadamia Hot Fudge Sundae is to die for!). Here's a link to their web site: http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/bs_frame.htm

maryellen, Thanks for the info. I must say that the metal under the rail bothers me. My Wife and I spent a lot of time on our balcony and got spoiled on the Caribbean Princess with the glass under the teak side rail all the way down to the floor of our balcony. We could sit in a chair and look right down at the amazing Caribbean.

desmon, Thanks for the link to your review. I found it helpful. Sounds like you had some issues, but on the whole a nice experience.

Mary Ellen,

Thanks for that tid bit. That makes a huge difference to me and to my Wife. That beautiful view from the balcony is one of the best things about a cruise for us.

The Monk

Monk - I couldn't agree more reference Bern's. Great place. I never thought about a web site for them, but I guess almost everyone has to have a web site these days.

sail7seas - I'll back up what The Monk says about Bern's. You have got to go there. Any cab driver in Tampa knows exactly where it is. I've been there several times. Never a disappointment. If someone wasn't satisfied, they would be taken care of graciously by the time they left. This fine restaurant is frequented by the movers and shakers of Tampa, including business men, politicians, sports figures, and even movie stars. I saw Mickey Rooney there one time. President Bush ate there with the former mayor of Tampa, and a former governor a while back. The history and excellence of this restaurant is legendary in Tampa. The long term training of the wait staff, the farm where their vegetables are grown, the wine cellar, and every thing else at this place is special. They will offer you a tour of the kitchen when you are finished with your meal, and that includes a tour of the wine cellar - do it. The wine list looks like a big dictionary. Their operation is amazing. If someone orders fresh fish, they get fresh fish, right out of the two huge stainless steel tanks in the back of the kitchen. You can get every cut of steak imaginable, of any size from petite to large. The nicely aged steaks are cut to order after you place your order. They have several levels of cooking for the steaks, even more than we are used to. The last time I was there, they even had a nice Buffalo steak on the menu and I tried it - delicious. You will want to move up to the Dessert Room when you are done with the kitchen/wine cellar tour (your guide will show you the way). The menu in the dessert room is extensive, including after dinner drinks, dessert coffees and a host of great desserts. The Dessert Room is quiet and the little booths provide an intimate atmosphere. I could go on forever about this place. I agree with the other posters, really nice casual, or perhaps semi-formal would be best at this restaurant.

Another great choice would be the Valencia Garden Restaurant on Kennedy Blvd. just W. of the University of Tampa. Here's a link to some info:

http://www.flausa.com/interests/moreinfo.php/ZID23=21721/ListingFormat=dine

This restaurant has Spanish cuisine which is popular in Tampa. Lots of locals eat here, and it's a very nice place to eat. Excellent food and service. One of their specialties is Paella, and I can recommend it.

If any other Tampa questions, just ask and we will find the answers.

Ken

Monk and Cracker Ken .........

We have made our booking with HAL for Marriott Waterside and that is where we wish to stay. However, I read here that sometimes, HAL has taken the booking for their pre-cruise hotel (in this case Marriott) and then when it is time for documents, the hotel that passengers thought they had booked is not where they are sent. My TA requested a confirmation from HAL that we would be at Marriott and they refuse to issue such a confirmation. All they did was confirm a two day pre-cruise stay hotel. We are not willing to chance them taking their pick of where we shall stay and then simply telling us "where to go". Bad habit of mine, but for my money I like to have a say on where I am spending it. :) We like to pick the hotel we will be sleeping in.

So, we are considering whether we should just book Wyndam on our own as that is our second choice. (We tried booking Marriott on our own but it is full....that is another reason I am uneasy HAL will send us elsewhere.)

As time gets sooner, I hope you'll share some suggestions for good dinners. Thank you.

S7S, you discussed this in another thread and at the time It didn't occur, but have you considered staying in a St Pete beach hotel? Not as convenient to the port, but could be worthwhile for more than an overnight. The Don Cesar Beach Resort & Spa is a four star classic.

http://www.doncesar.com/

If you stay in Tampa, don't miss the Columbia Restaurant. Wonderful food, first class service and great architecture. It's centrally located in Ybor City.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

Monk - The Zaandam (with transparent material for the verandah below the teak rail) sails from Pt. Canaveral with some Western Caribbean itineraries. Not quite as close as Tampa for you, but a heck of a lot closer than Ft. Lauderdale.

On the Zaandam (& Veendam) you'll find that the S 'suites' are about the same size as the Penthouse suite you had on Princess. Those verandahs will have 2 chaise lounges, small table, and round table with 4 chairs (a lot like those found in people's back yards). Even with all this on the verandah, it is still VERY roomy.

Also, as a past passenger of Princess, you'll receive past passenger pricing on HAL.

Mary Ellen,

Thanks for the tip on past passenger pricing. I didn't know that.

Stevesan,

Yes, the Don CeSar is a great hotel. I had my wedding reception there back in 1990.

The Columbia Restaurant in Ybor is a good choice, but I still have to go with Bern's if I have to choose just one.

Cracker Ken,

Ah, yes, the Valencia Gardens. I love that place! Awesome black bean soup and great entres. I love the Crema Catalan for dessert. God, I've got to go eat something!!!!!

Hi Monk - Yes, I can relate to the cravings. Sitting here last night describing Berns, then Valencia Garden, got me hungry, big time. All I could get my hands on at the time was an ice cream sandwich. :( I think I'll drop by one of those little Cuban food joints in W. Tampa when I'm over there Friday. Those folks will fill you up for a small price. Those black beans are another story....:D

The Columbia Restaurant is indeed a nice place. The architecture is beautiful. It would be a good place to go. However, if one is restricted on time, I still stick with my recommendation on Bern's, no doubt. BTW - If someone is staying downtown near, or at, the Marriott Waterside, you can hop on the street car and take it down to the stop at about 21st St., walk from 8th Ave down to 7th and you will be at the Columbia.

It occurs to me that I need to start up my Port of Tampa threat again. I had one going on the olds boards, and it's gone. We had a lot of this sort of talk there, and I linked my pictures and such. I'll have to get one going again soon.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

We always try to take our cruises from Tampa for the convenience. We use a shuttle so no info on parking. Also, can't help on hotels in Tampa. We've lived here for over 20 years and been to Tampa twice, except to travel to the pier.

This will be our 3d time on the Veendam. We had a balcony on our last one through the Panama Canal. The wife got a look at one of the suites so this time we booked a suite. Only live once!

This ship has the usual nicks and dings, but I think you will enjoy the cruise so much you won't notice. I think the Indonesian crew makes the trip really pleasurable. Always a smile and a pleasant greeting.

Americanis-Chandris-Dec 1985

Inspiration-Carnival-Dec 2002

Noordam-HAL-Mar 2003

Triumph-Carnival-Jul 2003

Noordam-HAL-Dec 2003

Horizon-Celebrity- Mar 2004

Veendam-HAL-Apr 2004

Veendam-HAL-Nov 2004

Horizon-Celebrity-Dec 2oo4

Horizon-Celebrity-Jan 2005

Archived