Which side of Mariner?

jakeil7

I have an upcoming trip with two friends of mine on Mariner of the Seas. One of them mentioned that they would like to be on the side next to the dock so they can watch the ship pulling in and out of the ports (the ones we dock at, at least). Normally I would assume the port side would be the best for this, but alot of the photos I have seen show the starboard side of the boat next to the dock. Any ideas or comments?

Jake

Have been on the Eastern Itinerary twice and going again in Dec. Starboard side was the dock side both times. Sometimes the ship does back in and therefore it would be port side, but I think I am safe to say if you are going on the Eastern Itinerary go starboard...Later, Jill:cool:

It really doesn't matter which itinerary--the ship docks differently every time! Sometimes they pull in, bow first, sometimes they back in, aft first! Some ports have more than one pier to dock at, so that's a crapshoot as to which one they will use.

Pick the best room you can get--and never mind which side you're on! All the views are pretty interesting, whether you're looking at the island, or out over the harbor!

It really doesn't matter which itinerary--the ship docks differently every time!

True, but knowing which itinerary still allows us to offer more specific advice. :)

Case in point: the Mariner only docks at one out of four ports on its Western itinerary, which makes it a relatively minor consideration. And, as CB points out, there are no guarantees as to which way the ship will dock.

So, I would also suggest picking your room based on the room itself. As CB suggested, there are very few ugly views in the Caribbean! :)

There have been many threads on this, and the real answer, unfortunately, is:

"You'll never know 'til ya get there."

As the ship arrives in port, depending on what other ships are there, which spot is available at dock, and of course the weather conditions, then the decision is made to "bow to the dock" or "stern to the dock".

Hope This Helps.

Archived