???? about view from port side

MikkiDawn

I think it also depends on whether or not the ship backs in to port!

I thought for sure we would have a birds eye view of St.Maarten when we sailed in January ( we were port side) and then the Captain reversed in and our view wasn't the best - didn't matter all that much though, we were getting of the ship to explore the island up close and personal :)

We are going on the Eastern route December 10th !!!

We are also considering booking a Sovereign of the Seas or Mariner of the Seas WITH our 3 kids this time for January 2008, they will be 4, 13 and 11 at that time and their first cruise, this December will be our first cruise. Of course we are also considering the 5 day/ 4 night Disney cruise also, RCCL is cheaper though.

There have been many threads on this, and the real answer, unfortunately, is:

"You'll never know 'til ya get there."

As the ship arrives in port, depending on what other ships are there, which spot is available at dock, and of course the weather conditions, then the decision is made to "bow to the dock" or "stern to the dock".

Hope This Helps.

I don't really care what side I am on, with being on Deck 9 I am sure I will be able to see alot, I just wasn't sure if it was just "named" port side or if it was actually on the "port" side. Can you tell I am new to cruising, boating in general LOL !!!! Sure as heck do not want me captaining a ship or a little boat for that matter LOL !!!

Port means "left" Starboard is "right". It has nothing to do with what you see out you window or off your balcony!!!!!

CB at sea;

That's only if you are facing the bow. (front of the ship). Think about if you are facing the stern (back of the ship), then your answer is backwards. FYI :)

If your cruise is mostly heading south, you would get the sunsets if you have a starboard cabin (right side of ship). In the ports, as the other posters have pointed out, it depends on whether or not the captain docks headon or backs the ship in. Actually I'm not sure if the captain makes the decision or the harbormaster or the harbor pilot? Maybe it depends on how many ships are in port and the departure schedule?

Archived