liquor purchases on board

Old Broad

Ricjac22 –

Here is an example of a permission to travel letter that is acceptable to the cruise lines. Please note that they would like it notarized. We had to have one when we cruised to Mexico (and anytime we have left the country.) Have a great trip!:)

Just copy and paste this link to the address line:

http://www.singleparenttravel.net/Writing/Documentation/NotarizedLetter.htm

We just ordered two bottles--one they have and the other they are ordering especially for us. She was very pleasant and actually e-mailed me back after she e-mailed the ship to see if they had it on board. Promised to have it in our cabin when we board on the 30th. She told me they were 750--or possibly larger. I am sure they will try their best to get what you want. D&J SORRY TO REPEAT INFORMATION--DON WAS DOING THE SAME THING ON ANOTHER COMPUTER.

The liquor store on board is a concession. With the halting of taking a bottle back to your stateroom, their sales had to go down. Now with the new regualtions on airline travel people cannot take that four pack onto the plane. Sales have dropped again. --- talked to a person who worked in the liquor store when the new regualtions took place. He said that several hundred orders were cancelled. The only people taking liquor off the ship will probably be those people who are not flying home. Therefore with sales dropping can it be long before liquor sales disappear ?

Maybe they`ll start to let us take it back to the cabin again.........at a little less cost than Seattle charges. At least HAL would get some commission. I am sure there are a ton of travellers who know nothing about ordering ahead from ships services:cool:

The Zuiderdam does not usually carry Irish Mist, but Shera at HAL told me that they would get some and have it in my room when I arive. Such a nice lady to work with.

:)

Capt & Teach

Hey Capt & Teach -

I wanted Bacardi Silver and they do not carry it for shipboard orders. I did call back and speak with a very nice gentlemen who said he would look into getting it for me and email me back.

He did email back (very promptly) but said that they could not provide the liquor in my cabin, but I could purchase it when I get onboard.

I emailed right back asking where, since I thought the policy was you couldn't purchase onboard and consume in your room. Scott got right back to me again and said I could purchase it from the my cabin steward or one of the bars. Buying a bottle from the bar seems like a big loophole in their policy.

Anyone have any experience with this? I printed out the email from Scott to bring onboard.

Thanks for all the input,

Jac

26 days to go

We have gone all three routes. Sometimes we have ordered from ship services - no 15% gratuity added on.

Other times we have waited until we have gotten on the ship and ordered through room service - 15% gratuity added on. And if you cruise out of a Florida port and don't wait till the ship is 10 miles out to see, another 6% Florida tax will be added on.

And then one time we were getting a little low and knew one of the bar tenders - had sailed with him a couple of other times -- and ordered a bottle from him. He went and got the bottle and he got the 15% gratuity.

Can you bring your own alcohol on board? We just traveled on the Disney Wonder, and we brought on our own drinks. THAT was really nice, and saved a lot of $$ on board.

At the risk of starting a flame war regarding the smuggling of booze on board, I will just say that HAL probably doesn't check too closely for booze that is in your checked luggage.

I know that the rules say only wine and champagne may be brought aboard, and I've never tried to smuggle hard liquor. However, you can probably get away with it, if it will fit in your luggage.

On our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam last April, we went ashore in Puerta Vallarta and brought back a bottle of Tequila. I was carrying it in a plastic bag and put it on the conveyor to go through the x-ray machine. I didn't bring it up and no one asked what was in the bag, although the shape made it clear that it was a bottle. It went through without question. I had expected them to confiscate it and return it just before arrival back in San Diego.

I'm not advocating smuggling, so please don't flame me. I'm just pointing out that it is not that hard to do, if you're so inclined.

Me, I prefer tot travel much lighter than that. I'd like to travel with nothing but my ticket, passport and a credit card, if I could, and buy everything I need along the way.

Paul Noble

This is exactly the opposite of what we did. We ordered 2 different things--they had the Baileys but not the Irish mist.

Shera Lewis

Ship Services

800 541 1576

206 508 8559 Fax

ext. 2786

slewis2@hollandamerica.com This is the lady that did it for us and e-mailed the ship and made arrangements for the irish mist that they didn't have. Don and Judi

This is exactly the opposite of what we did. We ordered 2 different things--they had the Baileys but not the Irish mist.

Shera Lewis

Ship Services

800 541 1576

206 508 8559 Fax

ext. 2786

slewis2@hollandamerica.com This is the lady that did it for us and e-mailed the ship and made arrangements for the irish mist that they didn't have. Don and Judi

Don and Judi:

Just a question...hope I'm not nosy...but are you in a suite? Wonder if she would do this for all cabin categories. We have ordered from ships services several times with good results (and LARGE bottles), but we didn't try to ask for an item not on their list. I am pretty sure you can always purchase a bottle from one of the bars, too. We didn't even think to buy a bottle from the bar of something that we couldn't order pre-cruise. Whoops!!!

Penny:rolleyes:

It's not that hard. If what you drink isn't available in plastic bottles you can easily find plastic screw top flasks. Just load them up - make the seal tight and double-ziploc and place inside your luggage. If you buy the flasks with a metal top that can double for a shot glass - leave that off. They set off alarms. We pack 2 750's in each suit case - right in the middle as we drink different things and in case one case is lost we're set. We drive and don't fly to port so we may have an advantage. The booze is always in plain sight and never touched by staff while on the cruise. This is after 10 cruises. We pack our mixers - diet tonic (never available) and club soda in our carry on. Easy deal and zero issues. Of course our bar tab is still huge but when we want to toss back a couple while getting ready for dinner I won't pay their prices.

We are not in a suite--but a wake cabin. She didn't even ask me where we were on the ship until we got ready to make arrangements to have the liquor delivered. I don't think that makes a difference at all. She was very pleasant and very helpful. Judi

Thanks for the info. Nice to know!

Penny

:)

I called ships services and ordered dinner for 2 at the Pinnacle - old rate $20 per person, Crown Royal for $39.35, Beefeater Gin $26.90 and Tonic Water $6.03. These will be in my suite on the Volendam January 12, 2007. Thanks to all for letting me know I could order ahead and take advantage of the cheaper rates at the Pinnacle! January will be here before I know it. The planning is almost as fun - well not quite - but enjoyable anyway.

Archived