Putting the FREEDOM back in Freestyle

kapoho2

The internet is a wonderful thing to use while planning a vacation. There is SO much info out there. However, as the old saying goes....there is definitely too much of a good thing. Years ago most of us only knew a handful of people who had been lucky enough to have been on a cruise vacation. Now that cruising is a mass-market product, and with us all convening on the internet...we all "know" millions of folks who have had the experience of cruising.

I worked in the travel industry for about 26 years...and vacations used to be a magical time for folks. They were jetting or cruising off to the unknown....about to embark on a huge adventure. They trusted their local travel agent to steer them in the right direction and then they headed off on their vacation with only their luggage and their dreams.

Now with the internet at our fingertips, folks are planning and worrying about every single detail of their trips. There is no more anticipation of the unknown. Cruise menus used to be a wonderful surprise each evening when you sat down in the dining rooms. It was a time to try new foods and enjoy leisurely meals. Now, everyone must know exactly what is on the menu every hour of every day and exactly how long it will take them to eat. Dining is only ONE aspect of a vacation....yet, folks are having a breakdown before they even leave home over whether Coke or Pepsi products are served, whether salmon IS or IS NOT on the menu every night, or how big the juice glasses are. There is absolutely no reason why we need to know or worry about these silly things.

The internet has also ruined the concept of Freestyle. Word is out that one must rush onto an NCL ship and knock down those in your way in order to be the first in line to make reservations for the entire week. People are in a panic that they will not get the exact time they want for a particular dinner. If they do not get the exact reservation they want...the crew and the rest of us on the internet have to listen to the whining. If dining at an exact time each day is that important to you....then choose another cruise line and do the traditional dining routine. There are those of us who LIKE to go with the flow...not plan ahead..and just relax on vacation and see where our whims take us. This frenzy about reservations on NCL is like a growing cancer and is taking the fun and freedom out of freestyle.

I truly believe that there are a lot of folks who ought to be taking MEDICATIONS instead of VACATIONS.

OK..I have had my say....and I feel better :)

The internet is a wonderful thing to use while planning a vacation. There is SO much info out there. However, as the old saying goes....there is definitely too much of a good thing. Years ago most of us only knew a handful of people who had been lucky enough to have been on a cruise vacation. Now that cruising is a mass-market product, and with us all convening on the internet...we all "know" millions of folks who have had the experience of cruising.

I worked in the travel industry for about 26 years...and vacations used to be a magical time for folks. They were jetting or cruising off to the unknown....about to embark on a huge adventure. They trusted their local travel agent to steer them in the right direction and then they headed off on their vacation with only their luggage and their dreams.

Now with the internet at our fingertips, folks are planning and worrying about every single detail of their trips. There is no more anticipation of the unknown. Cruise menus used to be a wonderful surprise each evening when you sat down in the dining rooms. It was a time to try new foods and enjoy leisurely meals. Now, everyone must know exactly what is on the menu every hour of every day and exactly how long it will take them to eat. Dining is only ONE aspect of a vacation....yet, folks are having a breakdown before they even leave home over whether Coke or Pepsi products are served, whether salmon IS or IS NOT on the menu every night, or how big the juice glasses are. There is absolutely no reason why we need to know or worry about these silly things.

The internet has also ruined the concept of Freestyle. Word is out that one must rush onto an NCL ship and knock down those in your way in order to be the first in line to make reservations for the entire week. People are in a panic that they will not get the exact time they want for a particular dinner. If they do not get the exact reservation they want...the crew and the rest of us on the internet have to listen to the whining. If dining at an exact time each day is that important to you....then choose another cruise line and do the traditional dining routine. There are those of us who LIKE to go with the flow...not plan ahead..and just relax on vacation and see where our whims take us. This frenzy about reservations on NCL is like a growing cancer and is taking the fun and freedom out of freestyle.

I truly believe that there are a lot of folks who ought to be taking MEDICATIONS instead of VACATIONS.

As much information as I share here I could not agree more with your perspective. Half the fun is the unknow and the internet takes much of that away.

There is information and there is minutia. I get loads of useful information but I don't plan every minute. I am heading to Spain next week. We made all our room reservations on the INTERNET. Remember that not everyone who travels on NCL is a member of CC in fact only a small percentage are. There are jerks everywhere and some people may be knocking people down just because they see a line...

........................Now with the internet at our fingertips, folks are planning and worrying about every single detail of their trips. ................The internet has also ruined the concept of Freestyle. Word is out that one must rush onto an NCL ship and knock down those in your way in order to be the first in line to make reservations for the entire week. ....................There are those of us who LIKE to go with the flow....................I truly believe that there are a lot of folks who ought to be taking MEDICATIONS instead of VACATIONS.

Well said :D , although the internet hasn't ruined anything (the way some of us use it may) I am a Freestyle addict. I like to take life (and my cruises) as they come and enjoy the twists and turns of each day.

I have learned a lot from My millions of new "friends" online that I use to make my cruise experience better like (like what to keep in mind when selecting a cabin)(best fares) (suggestions for ports )etc. It is nice to know that cabin 9065 is right under the kitchen that gets restocked and cleaned and has LOTS of noise over head from 2-4 a.m but I really don't need to know what's on the menu, I'd rather KNOW that there will be something I like because the cruise line knows people have varied tastes and they have variety to offer us..and find out what that is when I sit down :-)

I make my specialty restaurant reservations as my cruise progresses and I couldn't see having 7 lil slips of paper telling me where and when I'll be eating before I even meet any of my fellow passengers.

That being said SOMEONE, somewhere online said "If you don't make ALL of your dinner reservations as soon as you board you probably won't get in the restaurant if you wait until later"...and someone repeated it, then someone repeated that and now on some shorter cruises it seems to becoming a self fulfilling prophecy because so may people ARE booking within 30- minutes of boarding (then being no shows or cancelling later too).

I cruise Freestyle because on a vacation the very last thing I need to do is micro manage my time. As a counselor I know there are many people unable to do that and have issues that demand (attempts at) total control for every single decision or time period.

Actually going with the flow keeps me from needing medications :D .

NCL is for me BECAUSE of Freestyle and as other lines open up to more last minute freestyle type choices I may just wander over and visit more of them as well (I know, I know...Blasphemy!!)

Hear! Hear!

Go with the flow and enjoy your vacation!

I'll never understand the need by so many to plan every vacation and cruise to the last minute.

Relax!

Most of the people I meet on cruise ships happen when I'm waiting in line.

Waiting in line isn't the worst thing that can happen, and sometimes it's the best thing that can happen......

smeyer418...MINUTIA is exactly the word I was looking for!!

I am not saying that the internet is a bad thing...in fact...as a travel agent it made my job easier. My clients would come to me after having done their own research....and knew exactly what cruise they were interested in or which resort, etc. Then I could kick into gear and get them the best price and put the whole package together.

I am very grateful for the Cruise Critic boards. My millions of new friends were "right on" in helping me to choose my last 4 or 5 cruises!!

The internet is a wonderful thing to use while planning a vacation. There is SO much info out there. However, as the old saying goes....there is definitely too much of a good thing.
I couldn't agree more. I've hosted a few boards on CC for several years but I never use it for cruise research past the basics like where to find hidden things most people don't know about, etc. I've never looked at a menu ahead of time or a Freestyle Daily ahead of time. I've never asked about soap in the bathroom or where to get late night pizza. I have always been a traveler and not a tourist. I experience the trip as it comes to me and I don't try to plan every minute.

As for the usefulness of the internet overall...I met my husband though an internet dating site. Yes, we're one of those couples. He was in Oregon; me in Colorado. Love across the miles. :p Our two year anniversary is in two weeks and our son will be one in a month. The internet is very good for some things. ;)

Put the freedom back in Freestyle and quit worrying about the small stuff! We plan on making reservations in Le Bistro one night during our 10-day cruise, but that will probably be the only one we make. We love going to the dining room and trying things. I don't need too many choices. On our last NCL cruise we had way too many and had to try too many different things! :p

IAs for the usefulness of the internet overall...I met my husband though an internet dating site. Yes, we're one of those couples. He was in Oregon; me in Colorado. Love across the miles. :p Our two year anniversary is in two weeks and our son will be one in a month. The internet is very good for some things. ;)

I met mine on the internet, too! We met through discussions on a forum much like this one (a Christian forum, not a travel forum). He was in Korea at the time (Army) and I was in Nashville. We met in person when he returned to the states 14 months later, and were married after three more months. We will celebrate 7 years in December. ;)

Hey, what industry hasn't changed dramatically in the last 25 years, or been profoundly changed by the ready access to information that the internet provides...

I work in healthcare, and you better believe that most clients come with a fistful of information from the internet, some excellent, some bogus. Now it is our duty to help people sift through and make their own informed choices..... In the old days, they got info strictly from the "pros" and great if the "pro" was good, not so great if the "pro" was a bit lazy, arrogant or incompetent. I suspect it was the same with travel agents....

To each his own.... to me, anticipation is a big part of my vacation, I love to read, research and plan....... yeah, getting caught up in minutia is distracting and information overload might suck for some people..... for me though, I love the info and I'll weed out what I want.... I imagine that's why I found this site..... hey, it helped me FIND freestyle cruising, which totally suits me and refuted my previously held ideas of what a cruise would be. I love the amount of info I can get at my fingertips.....

Cheers

I love the amount of info I can get at my fingertips.
What a great world we live in. If you want every detail...it's there. If you choose to get the details as they come at you...you can do that too. Personally I don't need to know what's being served in the dining room on any night. I don't need to plan around when lobster night is because I can get lobster anywhere. I also don't need to know where every drink special is. I don't let drink prices or menu choices dictate my actions. If I'm in the dining room and nothing suits me, with Freestyle I can try another venue. Heck, I've even had dinner in one restaurant. Gone to dessert in another and then gone to the buffet for something that might suit me at the time after the show. And on rare occasions I've ordered room service at midnight because the Caesar Salad can't be beat. I think I'm in the minority because I don't think food is a big deal. And I especially wouldn't spend time researching menus to plan my meals. But to each his own. :)

And, yet another reason not to overplan a cruise......how about those times when you are back in your cabin getting ready for the evening after a fun filled day on shore or on deck. Suddenly the romance of a cruise kicks in....:o ....I'd hate to miss a reservation and be charged $5/pp because I was enjoying a "priceless" moment!!

I think people are concerned about knowing details, because the cruise and meals are everything (besides the ports) and if you don't like the food, it's not like you can just go to McDonald's.....

My DS and DH need to know if they can get ranch dressing and chocolate sauce for chocolate milk. If they can't, they just want to be prepared.

You have a real gift in a way with words. That was very well put. It almost had me convinced. I'm totally in favor of freestyle, that is why I chose NCLA. However we do need to use a little common sense. There are 2000 people on POH. Your average specialty restaurant holds maybe 200 - 400. ( I'm only guesing here.) As I said I'm totally in favor of freedom but NOT anarchy! Without making reservations of YOUR OWN CHOICE how to you plan on getting everybody body into thse restaurants? Another old saying is "fail to plan, plan to fail". You can still chose what you want to do and when you want to do it, you just got to plan it.

Your average specialty restaurant holds maybe 200 - 400. ( I'm only guesing here.) As I said I'm totally in favor of freedom but NOT anarchy! Without making reservations of YOUR OWN CHOICE how to you plan on getting everybody body into thse restaurants? Another old saying is "fail to plan, plan to fail". You can still chose what you want to do and when you want to do it, you just got to plan it.
I think the over planning when it comes to NCL also has come from those, like me, who have waited to plan and have been told mid week "sorry we're not taking anymore reservations" :( I think people feel, its better to make them first day and cancel 24 hours before, then be let down and feel like your missing something.

When we were on the Dawn 2 weeks ago, there was no more first day sign up line. If you were in a mini or above, the concierge made them, if you were in any other category you had to call the restaurant directly after 5 PM or wait till the next morning when a reservation person was in the lobby in front of the model ship. That line was HUGE. They were also taking reservations for the Venetian, which I found helpful for formal night. Traveling with 4 kids who want to run all over, having a set dinner time, with no lines to wait on made dealing with them much easier. :)

Hey, what industry hasn't changed dramatically in the last 25 years, or been profoundly changed by the ready access to information that the internet provides...
As much time as I spend here, cruisers do seem to be a breed apart when it comes to travel in terms of over-planning. OK, I know that's as inaccurate as any generalisation is always going to be, because most of the posters on this thread are - like me - "go with the flow" people yet still love to cruise. But it always seems like there aren't many CC members who would be comfortable with the idea of the sort of spontaneity that says "We've got a free weekend in three weeks' time - why don't we jump on a flight over the Atlantic to New York/Paris for a couple of days?" Many/most cruisers seem to inhabit the opposite extreme.

Great post kapoho2, I couldn't agree more. My first cruise was on the SS Norway, I knew nothing of cruising or CruiseCritic (I doubt if it even exisited then). That was the best cruise I have ever had.

Cruise vacations have become increasingly bastardized since then. It seems in order to gain more revenue, some lines decided to make cruising a "family friendly" option, probably inline with the Boomer generation. Out of this came the concept of "FreeStyle", which has it's own set of fans and opponents.

I'm just glad we still have a large variety of options in crusing. It will be interesting to see what the future holds! :)

As much time as I spend here, cruisers do seem to be a breed apart when it comes to travel in terms of over-planning................But it always seems like there aren't many CC members who would be comfortable with the idea of the sort of spontaneity that says "We've got a free weekend in three weeks' time - why don't we jump on a flight over the Atlantic to New York/Paris for a couple of days?" Many/most cruisers seem to inhabit the opposite extreme.

Count me out of the "most or many cruisers" category when it comes to this..The last 2 cruises I booked were within 10 days of saling ..

You see this thought came to my mind "I've got a free week in 10 days time, why don't I jump on a ship to wherever it seems to be going for a week or so" :D

I think people are concerned about knowing details, because the cruise and meals are everything (besides the ports) and if you don't like the food, it's not like you can just go to McDonald's.....

My DS and DH need to know if they can get ranch dressing and chocolate sauce for chocolate milk. If they can't, they just want to be prepared.

I never thought that not being able to get chocolate sauce or ranch dressing was something I needed to be prepared for. If it's not available, what else do I have to choose from? It's good to get outside your own box to try new things. If I could get everything on a ship that I had at home, why do I need the cruise? I can stay at home and not have to expand my world.

Again, I must be in the extreme minority because I've never even booked a shore excursion ahead of time.

I never thought that not being able to get chocolate sauce or ranch dressing was something I needed to be prepared for. If it's not available, what else do I have to choose from? It's good to get outside your own box to try new things. If I could get everything on a ship that I had at home, why do I need the cruise? I can stay at home and not have to expand my world.

Again, I must be in the extreme minority because I've never even booked a shore excursion ahead of time.

I very rarely book my shore excursions ahead of time either. I don`t want to be tied down:o

I am glad that you mentioned the chocolate sauce and Ranch Dressing......I wouldn`t dare:D Gosh, I am not even sure if I could get ANY food sometimes.:rolleyes:

A refreshing perspective! I sometimes get the feeling that in their anxiety to have the "perfect" vacation people are needlessly stressing themselves out

and I LIKE to plan vacations (but not EVERY detail). Sometimes yah gotta go with the flow!

Although I agree that a vacation should "de-stress" and not create stress, I am in favour of a self-made schedule so that I feel that I'm getting my money's worth.

When I figure that my family vacation on the Pearl is going to cost at least $8000 when I count air fare, cruise fare, taxis, excursions, beverages (alcoholic drinks & pop passes), specialty restaurant surcharges, tips and a few souvenirs, FOR SURE am I going to thoughtfully plan this one (as usual!)

Suppers in the specialty restaurants will likely be arranged for sea days, taking advantage of the 50% off. My family is fussy about their food, so yes, we'll be consulting menus if available. For example, my husband loves tuna tartare - so we'll hit the main dining room for the Chef's Dinner. Sometimes there's a great band playing between 5:30 and 6pm in a lounge - so if you know about it, you can have a drink and relax while you listen, and eat later.

For sure I'm going to research and plan excursions to find ones that the whole family will enjoy and book ahead. No hemming and hawing over excursion choices on the boat when we could be out on the deck enjoying the sunshine!

Bottom line, if I'm spending a lot for a memorable vacation, I'm going to make sure that my cash is well spent. Unexpected pleasures always pop up, and I'm not saying "plan every minute", but for sure my family will have a game plan and get bang for our buck!;)

If I may share a little of the mentality behind 'cruising' the cruising boards: ESCAPISM. Speaking purely for myself, I work in such an extremely stressful job that taking half an hour to escape on a cruise I am four months away from taking is like having a cool drink on a hot summers day. I can almost smell the ocean and imagine what it will be like to wake up in my bed onboard!

:p

I don't think planning takes the Freedom out of Freestyle. The freedom is in those who like to plan doing so, and those who don't, don't. I spent weeks devouring every detail I could find for my last cruise. Why? Because I had so much darn fun doing it. Was I married to my plans? Not in the least.

I had the where and when for each dinner planned to the time and place. When we boarded, DH said he didn't want to make reservations and just wanted to eat when we felt like it, so I tossed the plans. But I don't regret the time I spent making the plans. Why? Because it was so darn much fun.

I love scouring the boards, reading everyone's take on things, and sharing information. I love to get and to give when I can. So to the planners who love it, go for it. For those who it stresses, can it. I'm always open to the new adventure and spur of the moment decision in spite of my best laid plans:).

I love trying all the different dining experiences and yes, I will go stand in line when I first get on the ship (after we drop whatever we carried on into the room). The timing of each reservation is not so important but the desire to try everything is....heck if cruisers didn't want to try the different every now and again there wouldn't be a cruising industry. We did forget on our last cruise to make a reservation for LeBistro (shame on us) and barely were able to make a reservation before the end of the cruise (14day Transatlantic on the Jewel)...we just lucked out because somebody canceled their reservation for the last night of the cruise right as we were walking up to the podium to see if we could get a reservation on any day or any time (we were still at 4 days/nights before the end of the cruise).

Going "with the flow" is great except when you've got a couple of thousand other people trying to do the same all at the same time.

Archived