HAL Shore Excursions on Isla de Margarita?

iceman93

Thanks, Gizmo. Coincidentally, someone also posted some IDM links in the roll call for my cruise. It sounds like it is a nice shopping port, but we'll wait and see what HAL comes up with, either on the website now or once we get on board. Thanks again!

We went on a very inexpensive tour "Panoramic Margarita" - $29 each. It was very informative, but the day we were there it poured rain, even inside the bus. We had to change buses, because the first one leaked. The only stop was to a "Pearl and such tourist trap", (sorry, couldn't think of anything else to call it). The other stop was for a downed power line and backed up and took another route. Nevertheless it was a very interesting ride and safe. We enjoyed it very much and recommend it.

If you choose not to take a tour there is still a lot to do right by the pier. We were there last fall. There are about 50 little stalls selling all the normal trinkets and such. There are at least 3 restaurants and a barbque by locals on the beach. Several bars. There is a nice beach with chairs and massages and such available for reasonable prices. The water only gets about knee to hip deep even as far a half a mile out. You can get wet and have a lot of fun right by the pier. We enjoyed being there, but didn't want to go into town. There will be persons offering rides into town from $25 to $40 USD. Have a wonderful time.

There will be plenty of taxis/vans dockside if you want to take a tour. We did it along with 4 other couples. He charged $22 each, and we had a wonderful day. Took in some small fishing villages, a 400 year old cathedral, an interior town, then up to the far end of the Island for a couple of hours at the beach. Came back a different route, and honestly had a great 5 hours. For the price, it couldn`t be beat............jean:cool:

The first time we were there, we did the island tour just to see what the place looked like.

After that we just go over to one of the 2 beaches by the ship, rent a couple of lounge chairs with a shell (all one price) and just enjoy a beach day. The water is beautiful there.

On the way back to the ship we look at what the vendors have to sell - usually don't buy anything.

Last year when we were there I met the port manager and had drinks with him. He was very interested to know our feelings on the "new" port facilities. I told him I thought it was a great improvement from a couple of years before when there were only a few tables set up. I think its very nice now..........jean:cool:

We were there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed having the beach, bar and small marketplace right next to the dock. But what I really enjoyed was the trip to Los Jovos, a mini-plantation which demonstrates farming in the pre-Columbian style and Tuacuntar a re-created colonial-era village which is also a market for Venezualan artists from all over the country. It's like visiting a national museum in which you can purchase the exhibits. It was a very goodm culturally and histroically significant tour - something that's relatively rare in the southern Caribbean. There are a few small pictures at http://vquill.com/carib3.htm

This sounds like a great do-it-yourself port stop. We're not big on taxis or vanpool tours, but there should be plenty to see within walking distance of the pier. Los Jovos also sounds quite intriguing, so we'll look into that more closely.

As always, thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences and advice!

Archived