first time cruise

shyboy

Hi there, I have never used a message board like this before, so I apologize in advance for any major faux pas. I just recently booked my first ever cruise on HA's Statendam repositioning from Van to LA. I know there has been numerous posts already on what to wear and a recent post on whether or not to wear jeans ( which had closed, otherwise I would have posted into it)

being ignorant to the different levels of dress on a cruise, I would like to have some advice. HA's website is pretty vague and descriptions such as dinner jackets and country-club attire don't cut it as I am 31 yrs. and have never seen a country club in my life. I know cruises attract a lot of older individuals who might remember the days when dressing up was standard. However; times do change and I firmly belive that as long as you look presentable, that is all that matters (no jeans to dinner that is).

Being a nurse, I have never worn a suit in my life, and when I am off duty, I tend to live in casual wear (to me this does include jeans). I also have never owned a sports or dinner jacket. therefore, would I be of great offence if I wore dress pants, dress shirt and tie, no jacket, to dinners?

IMHO you should be allowed to wear what you want as its clean and looks nice. But I would plan on getting a jacket and a tie. I am crusing at the end of this week and I detest having to put on a tie but figure its only for 2 hours at the most. So on formal nights (2) I plan on wearing a shirt and a tie and a sport coat. On informal nights I wll wear dress pants and a collared shirt. An on causual nights I am going to wear jeans. But thats just me. I am after all I am in Alaska.

Welcome, Shyboy, I think you would definitely be in the minority in the dining room on formal night, so might feel a bit conspicuous. You might want to consider at least bringing a dark sport jacket, if not a suit. Your alternative might be to just eat in the Lido on formal night, but why miss the meal and the ambiance for lack of a jacket?

I have sons in your age range, who also in their work lives have no need for suits or sport jackets. I reminded them several years ago that their futures undoubtedly held occasions such as weddings and funerals where they should wear suits out of respect for the occasion. Each one eventually went out and bought a suit when they found a sale at a men's store they liked. When they have had events that required suits they wore them without complaint and looked great! I will also say that they seem to stand a bit taller and move about with assurance and grace, knowing that they look good.

I offer my same advice to you. One good suit, bought on sale and properly fitted for comfort by a knowledgeable sales person will stand you in good stead for years to come. You'll never regret the purchase.

Besides, like many of us on this board, you'll soon become addicted to cruising and will have many on-board dress-for-dinner occasions in your future.:)

Welcome to the Discussion Boards, shyboy!

Go ahead & pick up at least a dark sport coat on sale before your cruise. You'll be glad you did, both for your cruise, and other occasions that inevitably will crop up.

"Formal" night is too much fun to worry about being under-dressed! And I'm sure you'd want to "look good" for your tablemates, as well.... ;)

Again, welcome to the HAL board, and to cruising on HAL!!

Cheers...

Paul

Hi there, I have never used a message board like this before, so I apologize in advance for any major faux pas. I just recently booked my first ever cruise on HA's Statendam repositioning from Van to LA. I know there has been numerous posts already on what to wear and a recent post on whether or not to wear jeans ( which had closed, otherwise I would have posted into it)

being ignorant to the different levels of dress on a cruise, I would like to have some advice. HA's website is pretty vague and descriptions such as dinner jackets and country-club attire don't cut it as I am 31 yrs. and have never seen a country club in my life. I know cruises attract a lot of older individuals who might remember the days when dressing up was standard. However; times do change and I firmly belive that as long as you look presentable, that is all that matters (no jeans to dinner that is).

Being a nurse, I have never worn a suit in my life, and when I am off duty, I tend to live in casual wear (to me this does include jeans). I also have never owned a sports or dinner jacket. therefore, would I be of great offence if I wore dress pants, dress shirt and tie, no jacket, to dinners?

I was on the Zuiderdam July 8-15 to Alaska and when we were at the reception desk on sailing day, there were a few men that had forgotten their dinner jackets and were worried that they wouldn't be allowed in the dining room (especially on formal night). The people behind the desk said that they could rent jackets, but they wouldn't go with the pants (that they remembered to bring). On the second formal night, there were a lot of men that were not wearing their jackets. Some were wearing jeans. I guess there is no strict dress code. Also on repo cruises, they are a little lax in the formal attire. You should look just fine with a shirt and tie.

therefore, would I be of great offence if I wore dress pants, dress shirt and tie, no jacket, to dinners?

In a word, yes. At least on formal and informal evenings.

It is a sign of respect to your fellow passengers to follow the dress code of your host.

You have been given some excellent long-term advice that a good suit and/or sports jacket will serve you well in life. Might as well start wearing them on a cruise.

A jacket and tie will do just fine on formal night and you will be able to wear the jacket at other occassions in the future.

You'll most likely get into the whole theme of it all and want to have your picture taken on formal night and I'm sure you'd want to have on a jacket and tie for the portraits.

I know it sounds stuffy...but it's such a special time on formal night...you just get caught up in the whole thing and you'll feel so special. If you feel uncomfortable after dinner...you can take the jacket off.

Wear the jacket...you'll be glad you did...honest!;)

our son is just slightly older than you...so we know how you feel about comfortable dressing...but cruising isn't an every day event. For your experience, I would suggest at least a dark jacket for formal evenings. (my hubby wears his tux...mainly because he does it for me because he looks sooooooooooooooooooooooo good in it...hint:) hint:). Other evenings, wear nice slacks and a shirt. Avoid jeans. Too casual for dinner unless you are eating in the Lido. And just enjoy the experience. it's special. Not your every-day routine...so make it special. And wear something special! and most of all...have fun!

Cass

Archived