Traveling with autistic child

djoziofam

We're going on RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas on 9/25 with my husband and three children...

My youngest is 8 years old and is autistic. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice or experience with this. I would greatly appreciate any "Been there, done that" stories!!

So far I've found nothing that deals with cruising with autistic children.

Thanks in advance!

Cathy

Former special ed teacher here. What specifically would you like to know? You're cruising at a time when there won't be as many kids on board, if that makes any difference to you. I'm not sure if you're planning on putting your child in the kid's program, but it's something you need to seriously think about. The counselors, while good people, aren't trained to handle autistic kids, so that's a consideration. Those programs also tend to be rather noisy and if your son has problems with noise, as I know some of my former students did, that's another thing you must think about. My best advice is to understand that cruises can have things going on all the time that aren't the most comfortable for autistic children, so you must be prepared to remove him from any stressful situations---like I have to tell you any of this---you've probably experienced it all. But cruises, unlike any other venue, are a sensory overload and can be stressful. I hope you have a great cruise.

Thanks for your reply...

I have heard about ship employees that work in the kids program that specialize in helping the disabled, but it sounds like if the children are in wheelchairs with a physical disability, not neurologicial.

I guess my biggest concern is for his safety. He will listen when repremanded, but at times his curiousity will override sensibility.

I certainly know that letting him stay in the kids program is pretty much a no-go, unless they have someone who can be one-on-one with him the entire time. That's too much to ask if there are a large number of children there.

I was just wondering if the ship had anyone on it that had some special ed training, or who may be familiar with my son's condition.

Thanks again! I hope it's smooth sailing for us - literally!!

I would like to thank you for bring this subjest up. I have a Grandson that is Mild-autistic. ANd WOuld love to take him on a crusewith in the next year or so He is 5 now. Some of the things ya'll brought up I had not even thought of yet. We are still learning things that puts stress on him. Was worried about Kindergarden this year but he seem to be doing well, Just a few Bumps.

Ships do not generally employ counselors who have special ed training. Most of these are young kids who might have a few courses in child development or something like that. You will not find any ship that will provide one on one counselors---it's too cost prohibitive for them. No matter, kids seem to really like being on cruise ships---even our special kids.

Thanks for your help. I would be happy to share our experience here if that would help others in choosing a cruise vacation.

As for my son, there shold be enough for him to do that he should be okay. Of course there are pools, and swimming is his favorite activity, so I think he'll just love that. Hopefully all that exercise should keep him from having problems with stimming and such. DH and I did want to have one dinner alone, or some alone time in the evening, but if that doesn't happen it's perfectly okay. (we've definitely BTDT on that one!)

We'll, we leave in about 24 hours to board our plane - again, thanks to those who tried to help us out. I do appreciate it!!

Cathy

Archived