Departing flight recommendated times

snowbird1

Hello,

I am looking for anyone who has been on the Star Princess for the Baltic cruise who can recommend how much time to allow to get from the ship to the airport, specifically when leaving. The ship docks at 5am and I am trying to figure my flights for next summer but I am not sure how smoothly things go there. From looking it appears the airport isn't too far but any help on time would be great. I noticed a lot of the flights leave early so that will not work. Obviously I need to go through security as well.

Thanks

We had stayed post cruise in Copenhagen but here's some feedback on disembarkation from what we saw/experienced.

As soon as the ship docked and cleared they were already calling the "colors" to disembark. We docked at approximately 5am. From what we saw, they were very well organized in getting everyone off the ship and it didn't seem like long periods, ie 30 minutes max maybe,before they were calling the next color disembark. One quirk if you can call it that was that independent travelers, ie those who did not take Princess transfers were disembarked from a different gangway. A bit confusing until you figured out where you were going and not a big deal. Luggage was well placed so you just had to look for your number and pick up your luggage - yes there are baggage handlers in the area and plenty of taxi's.

Here's a heads up though on the airport. When we did leave Copenhagen two days later and arrived at the airport around 7am, it was already getting very congested. VERY long lines for check-in at Continental since you have to go through a query with a security agent before you get to the ticket counter. Could be like that for all the airlines but we were flying Continental so not sure what was happening at the other check-ins.

Once through the ticket counter and get your tickets and drop your checked luggage you go upstairs and again a VERY long line approximately 30+ minutes for going through the next screening of our hand luggage, etc. Yes, there are a couple of screening points so be prepared. Next check point is at the beggining of the gates for where they screen again your hand luggage etc and then before we entered the actual gate area we were screened again. Our flight was at 10:15am and we arrived at the gate for boarding around 9:30. Waited about 15 minutes before they started the boarding.

So for the 2+ hours of lead time, you will really need that as there are many check points and screenings. I'm sure others have their experiences of either shorter or longer wait times.

Enjoy your cruise. It's fabulous and we enjoyed our cruise on the Star.

Julia

We were on the Star this summer and left CPH the same day. We took the Princess transfer, so we did not have to claim our luggage at the port. Luggage was waiting for us at the airport.

Getting off of the ship appeared to be orderly. I believe that they started getting people off of the ship before 6 am.

The airport was a zoo. If you are not flying business class, it looked like there was only 1 line for all of the airlines in the terminal that we were in. There are , I believe, 3 terminals, so the lines may have been different in another terminal. It took about 45 minutes to check in.

I'm also interested in an answer to the original question about flight times. We're thinking of booking the Baltic cruise on the Star. We would also be leaving the day the cruise ends.

There is a Delta flight that leaves at 11 a.m. Would this be too early? Also, how much is the Princess transfer from the ship to the airport?

Is this something new with not having to claim your luggage because it will be taken to the airport? Last time we took the transfer to the airport, we had to claim our bags and they were put under the bus for us.

Any information would be great. Thanks

I'm also interested in an answer to the original question about flight times. We're thinking of booking the Baltic cruise on the Star. We would also be leaving the day the cruise ends.

There is a Delta flight that leaves at 11 a.m. Would this be too early? Also, how much is the Princess transfer from the ship to the airport?

Is this something new with not having to claim your luggage because it will be taken to the airport? Last time we took the transfer to the airport, we had to claim our bags and they were put under the bus for us.

Any information would be great. Thanks

There should be no problem making an 11 am flight. People with early flights and Princess transfers were off of the ship by about 6:15. People without transfers were able to get off of the ship at any time.

I know that arriving in Miami, Ft Lauderdale or San Juan we had to claim our luggage first. With the Princess transfer in CPH they took the luggage at night and we then got it outside of the terminal at the airport.

As far as price, I think that it was soemthing like $50 US per person.

We had a 10:10 fllight last week. Off the ship by 7. Took a taxi for about $35. No problem making flight. Airport is congested though. No announcements via p.a. system so you have to pay attention to the flight boards. Security line was about 30 minutes. Lots of shops once you clear security.

I know that there have been some problems at the Airport during the summer, because the new Australian owner of the Copenhagen Airport had experience some problems with long lines during the busy summer months.

But that is something they are working on and the papers dont print that much articles about it any more, so that could mean that the long lines isn´t there anymore.

Archived