New to HA, Westerdam questions . . .

debshomespun

This will be our 11th cruise, but first on HA. What is casual wear for men and women? Do the men wear sports jackets, or just dockers and a hawaiian style shirt? And for the women, is a sundress ok for casual? How about capris and a top? We are good to go for formal nights, but was not sure about the casual and informal nights.

Also, what type of drinks do they serve in the buffet area? Juices for breakfast, and what about lunch? We are not iced tea drinkers, but we love lemonade and fruit punch. Does the Westerdam have any of those?

Also, I was told there is ice cream available all afternoon with a variety of toppings. How about soft serve for ice cream cones? Is that available and how often?

A jacket is not necessary on casual night; the Dockers and shirt sound fine. The gentleman will need the jacket on informal evenings. The sundress also sounds fine for the lady; capri's and top do also (I kind of hope the top matches).

Drinks in the Lido usually are coffee, tea, iced tea, water, hot chocolate. If you want juice at lunch you will need to ask for it---it's not on the display as it was at breakfast (take an extra then!). I've never noticed lemonade or fruit punch. Soda is available for purchase.

Ice cream will be available at the ice cream station until 5:00PM. There is soft-serve there, too. As they say on TV: same time---same station.

Soft serve ice cream is out of order from time to time. It was not working well when we were on the Westerdam. The regular ice cream is very good and the selection changes daily.

As for clothing in the dining room, the dress code is more a guideline than a requirement. Formal night does not have to be a suit, it can be a blazer and pants. Informal night does not have to be a blazer, but a shirt with a collar and long pants, no jeans, will do. Unless you have a size problem and can only wear jeans and sweatsuits you should avoid those items in the dining room. I understand some folks cannot find clothing to fit and have limited options, but if you have nicer looking clothing this is a great occassion to show up looking your best.

OH NO! DON'T TELL ME THE SOFT-SERVE MACHINE IS ON THE FRITZ!

We'll be sailing on the WESTERDAM in just under a month and my husband and I are avid soft-serve ice creamaholics! The first time we sailed on the NCL's Norwegian Dawn the soft serve ice cream machine had an "OUT OF ORDER" sign on it for the entire cruise! It became a very heated topic of conversation on the NCL boards. The second time we sailed on the Norwegian Dawn, we were fortunate to get some soft service ice cream, but the machine was on the "fritz" for both the cruise before and after ours. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO KEEP THESE MACHINES WORKING PROPERLY?!?!?!? Do we need to bring some spare parts along with us? ;-)

Debjo

Archived