Would Ya, Could Ya do this? NY Pier Question

We leave January 28th 2007 from New York on the Dawn. We are thinking of driving straight to the port and parking our car. Then we would take a taxi into New York to a hotel for the night then return in the morning for the cruise. We would take all our luggage with us so that we wouldn't have to try and find our car. Anyone done this? Is it possible? If it's a lousy idea - it's my wife's idea. If it's a great idea I suggested it to her.:D

We leave January 28th 2007 from New York on the Dawn. We are thinking of driving straight to the port and parking our car. Then we would take a taxi into New York to a hotel for the night then return in the morning for the cruise. We would take all our luggage with us so that we wouldn't have to try and find our car. Anyone done this? Is it possible? If it's a lousy idea - it's my wife's idea. If it's a great idea I suggested it to her.:D

That sounds good to me, the last time I took advantage of the hotel parking in Manhattan it was $45 a day....How about dropping everyone off at the hotel w/ the luggage then parking at the pier ..no sense lugging the luggage more than you need to :-).....ALTHOUGH...I think I saw once on a thread that there are only attendants when ships are arriving or leaving port--maybe double check that out first to make sure you actually can park when you arrive at the pier

The Port IS in NYC..... 12th ave and 50-53rd streets

I loved this idea....and I was planning on doing this back in August.

I contacted the port authority and they said that when a ship is not in port, the garage is closed. There was no ship in port the day before we sailed so I could not leave the car.

Our hotel had parking so we parked there and drove the 2-3 blocks the next am. It was really easy and worked out very well for us.

I contacted the port authority and they said that when a ship is not in port, the garage is closed. There was no ship in port the day before we sailed so I could not leave the car.

Our hotel had parking so we parked there and drove the 2-3 blocks the next am. It was really easy and worked out very well for us.

I had exactly the same answer from Port Authority. We are paying for a month's parking ($180.) but can only use it for the 11 day cruise. The 2 days we are in NY we have to pay hotel parking. Like you I thought this was a great idea till I e-mailed to ask.:mad:

I had exactly the same answer from Port Authority. We are paying for a month's parking ($180.) but can only use it for the 11 day cruise. The 2 days we are in NY we have to pay hotel parking. Like you I thought this was a great idea till I e-mailed to ask.:mad:

Hi Pisti:

Did they tell you that if another ship was in, they would allow you to park there?

The Port Authority did say that I could do this but there was would be no ships in port so I was out of luck. Maybe next year:) !

What hotel did you stay at? How much was it a night? My mom and dad are sailing out the end of october and I am trying to figure out the easiest way for them to get to the port.

What hotel did you stay at? How much was it a night? My mom and dad are sailing out the end of october and I am trying to figure out the easiest way for them to get to the port.

Hi abbyndrewmom:

We stayed at the Belvedere Hotel. We liked the Hotel. We went on the Spirit in August and it was 194.00 per night, plus tax. They had valet parking, it was not free. The Belvedere is about 2-3 blocks from the pier. It was a breeze to drive and park on Saturday am.

There's alot of free parking at the hotel complex in New Jersey's Meadowlands and the hotel costs are greatly reduce from those of NYC. The complex sits just off Rte 3 which leads directly thru the Lincoln Tunnel and into Manhattan, 8 miles from the cruise terminals. MapQuest provides great directions. FYI

• 2 weeks later...

Archived