My $15 Camera/Electronics Travel Case

bravemom

When I began to count the number of electronic items we are planning on bringing for our Alaskan Cruise I realized that I could risk serious injury managing all of the individual carrying cases. Between the 2-35 mm cameras, the digital, the video cam., the small pile of disposables for the kids, 2 game boys and the portable dvd player...I hoped I could find a camera case similar to one that was sold at an electronics store I worked at years ago. The style was similar to a small hard sided carry on, and had a foam insert that you could use to cut insets for your equipment. I searched to no avail-the only ones I found with similar attributes were outrageous in price!

Tonight at Walmart I purchased a "pilot's" roll on suitcase (small like a child's size suitcase) for $10. I then purchased a generic eggcrate style foam pillow (the dimensions were exactly the same as the suitcase) for $4.97. I can now fit all of our electronics into one small carry-on that I can be assured is well padded enough to go into the overhead.

An extra added benefit is that upon our return home I can easily store the entire thing in a corner of my closet-clearing up the shelves that were taken up by all of the individual items.

• 3 weeks later...

We recently went on a cruise out of NY. Although we did not have to fly, I was at a lost as how to handle all those things you mentioned. Each one has its own case and takes up so much room. I never did come up with a good solution and just fit all the cases into a rolling duffel bag.

Your idea is awesome. The next time I travel I will definately make up one of these bags!!

Thanks again for sharing your inventive idea.

Archived