Flowers from market/cost of pearls?

donmimi

(1) Many people have recommended going to the central market in Papeete and purchasing a large bouquet of flowers to bring on board the ship to enjoy throughout the cruise. Can anyone tell us whether the Tahitian Princess can provide a vase, -- do the floral bouquets come with vases, or do we need to provide our own somehow?

(2) Can anyone provide any guidance on the cost of the Tahitian black pearlson the islands? I am unable to find much that is reputable on the web, and would like to have some guidelines Where is the best to buy, and how much should I expect to spend?

Thanks

Don & Mimi

(1) Many people have recommended going to the central market in Papeete and purchasing a large bouquet of flowers to bring on board the ship to enjoy throughout the cruise. Can anyone tell us whether the Tahitian Princess can provide a vase, -- do the floral bouquets come with vases, or do we need to provide our own somehow?

(2) Can anyone provide any guidance on the cost of the Tahitian black pearlson the islands? I am unable to find much that is reputable on the web, and would like to have some guidelines Where is the best to buy, and how much should I expect to spend?

Thanks

Don & Mimi

The flowers at the market are arranged in a vase for you. The cost $15-$20 USD. Gorgeous!!!

The cost of black pearls is all over the place. I got 4 cheap "reject" ones on a necklace in Bora Bora for $15. (I love it and wear it all the time!!!!) We ended up shopping in at the Tahiti Pearl Market in Papeete, where they have three different levels with different quality and prices. We ended up on the middle level. I brought back 3 small, different colored pearls for mounting on a bracelet when I got home for about $170.

The ship features Tahia Collins designs and a few others not designed by her which are a little cheaper. The ring I liked on the ship was $1800.

My philosophy was I considered them more of a souvenir than an jewelry investment purchase. I noticed the other day that Sam's Club had some gorgeous peacock colored earrings for less than $200. You couldn't touch that in Tahiti with the quality of pearls that I saw.

I also purchased a ring from an artisan shop on Moorea, two tear drop shaped pearls, one green, one gray, 18K white gold for my birthday for $175.

Even when you're there, you hear so much conflicting information, it's hard to know. I just purchased what I liked - we didn't have the budget for the thousands of dollars strand. If I had, I would have gone with the Tahia Collins shop on Moorea or Robert Wan.

The vase is a small foil pan, which when I saw that I thought it would never work but it is quite sufficient. It lasted the whole trip. However, I got so caught up in everything I almost forgot to give them a drink. :D

The pan was really dry but I caught it just in time and made the flowers happy also. :)

When do you leave? This is the most wonderful trip we have been on. Enjoy!!!

Definitely check out the flowers at Le marche - one of the cheaper things you can buy on the islands (grin). The hardest part will be making a decisions - there are literally hundreds of choices. All come with arranged in bases, so there is no need to worry about vases. You can get vases form Housekeeping if you really need one though.

I'm not much of a pearl girl, so the only thing I can pass on to you is get them loose if possible. You don't have to pay duty on loose gems. That means for strands of pearls shouldn't have clasps on the end. They can provide those separately, or at least they did to us. This doesn't help with earrings or rings, but one jewelery advised us to just wear them and act like we've had them for years.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Charlie

After paying for the btb cruises in January/February (single supplement++), I have no money left over for good pearls. I love pearls. However, for the fun of it, I priced some in Toronto. I saw a beautiful string in a small shop for $7,000 (Cdn) (the jeweller was willing to go down to $5,800, cash). I then saw the same size string in an upscale store for $45,000. Frankly, I couldn't tell the difference. They were both gorgeous. The other day, someone at work wore a beautiful dark pearl choker. I asked if she got them in Tahiti and she laughed. They weren't real pearls and she bought them for $25 at a large department store. They were also gorgeous. If I see some loose inexpensive (imperfect) pearls that I like in Tahiti, I may purchase three and have them made into earrings and a ring. I think that would be a great souvenir and reminder of Paradise. I think if you are serious about buying pearls, you should speak to a jeweller that knows something about them and price them at home first. If it's like Tanzanite, you will probably find them cheaper at home.

Hi Don and Mimi

I am by no means an expert on your pearls but was thinking about this idea. You have two days in Papeete. One at the beginning and one at the end. The Pearl Market is only a short ways from the ship. Maybe someone else can tell her how to get there better than I can. But it is quite quick! Around the corner from where you are going to buy your flowers. If you go there on the first day, look around and get some ideas, and then if you don't find what you want during your ten days of sailing you still have the last day to shop again. It would kind of be an introduction. There are three levels at the market in Papeete. And the third level they have some nice cool water. :)

I went to the Pearl Market and shopped for our daughter-in-law on the last day. Did not buy anything but did learn a few things. You might have an excursion that takes you to a pearl farm. We stopped at one. Was ready to buy something and oops :( I had left my credit card out of that particular purse I was taking. Maybe someone on the board can tell you about Moorea. There are stalls along the road once you get off the tender. I did stop at one stall that someone said was reputable. It was on the right towards the end.

I don't know if this is worth anything but just some thoughts. Happy sailing.

S&B

Dot73 - I bought a cheap pearl in Tahiti (20.00) to make a Christmas ornament out of. Got it at a pearl farm. There are lots of things you can do with the inexpensive ones, however, I would think that for 100.00 (per pearl) you could find a nice pearl to bring home for something.

We went to Le Marche the day we boarded the ship and bought a gorgeous bouquet of flowers for our cabin for $15. They lasted the whole cruise. I'd definitely recommend doing this.

As for pearls, we went to Vaima Perles in the Vaima Shopping Center (you can see it from the ship) the day we docked in Papeete after the cruise. We read about the store in our Tahiti travel book so felt comfortable going there. They have 2 stores next to each other - one sells mostly silver and more modern pearl pieces and the other more classic pieces set in gold. I got a beautiful ring in 18k white gold that I now wear just about every day. I absolutely love it! As far as prices, they vary widely depending on the shape and quality of the pearl, so there is something for every budget. I prefer buying jewelry rather than loose pearls. I've had jewelry made from loose stones before and it cost me a fortune. Also, the pearls set in gold in French Polynesia are set in 18k rather than 14k.

Susan

Hi, Jay and Susan! I saw your pictures - spectacular!

Hi, Sylvia and Beauford! I just posted a link to my pictures on my review thread - you two are in one from the 4x4 in Bora Bora.

How did your pictures come out? Didn't you love the one I took of you both laughing over the bumps on the 4x4?

JRoeT

Hi JRoeT,

I was not able to open your picture file but I am sure that at sometime it will open for me. I have a very nice picture of you two on the 4X4 in Bora Bora which I need to send to you if you don't have one.

We really enjoyed your review. The first part we printed off and it was so funny because we were fighting over who was going to read it first. :) I enjoy it more when I print it because I can keep re-reading it and it goes in my file for the next trip to Tahiti.

Did you get in the water with the eels on Marc's tour?

I have to tell you my experience in Moorea with the 4X4. We got in the truck and the driver/guide looks at me and says, "Are you going to be o'k on this drive?" That was a slight insult but I was very nice. I looked at him and I said, "Oh, we have already been on a 4X4 in Bora Bora." He looked at me very sheepishly and said, "Oh, you're professionals then". At that point I think he felt like he should have kept still. He told us later that in the previous tour there was a person who had a bad knee and she didn't tell him until it was all over. I would take that tour again in a heart beat. Just as long as the guys were next to the door. :cool: But it is not for the faint of heart!! :D

By. S&B

Don and Mimi,

I am sorry that we got off the track of your searching for pearls. Maybe someone else will post some more ideas. When you go to Tahiti you are excited but when you come back you are still just as excited over what you have seen. If I had known it was this wonderful we would have gone years ago. Have Fun!!! Tell us some of your experiences when you return. :)

S&B

Sylvia,

I cannot belIEVE that he said that to you! You guys are more adventurous than us! No, we did not get in the water while Marc was feeding the sacred eels - point proven!

I just posted a new link to my pictures on my review thread - so you can access them now. You can either look at an album that has our favorite 155 phots from the trip . . . or you can look at the 600+ in albums organized by port . . .or both!

Jana

We looked in every pearl shop in Papeete as I wanted one set in sterling silver. We found one at Ocean Pearl which is up the steps behind the magazine stand, more over to the right of the shops. It had little diamonds as well and was a top grade pearl. It cost XPF 40,000 and it is beautiful. I wore it on formal nights, and my 70th birthday present. The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten !!!!!

Archived