Bottled Water on Avalon??????? Anyone know?

letsgo39

We are booked on Avalon Tranquility for the July 7 2007 cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam.

Is there bottled water provided daily and do you have to pay for it?.How many bottles a day are you able to get free,if it is free.?

I read somewhere that it was in the cabins but I think it was on another line.

Thanks!

I've got to have my Diet Coke and bottled water and will buy it before we board in Budapest if necessary. I will not pay the outrageous prices on the ship however.

Hi Letsgo39,

Can´t say anything for sure about free bottled water. I don´t remember reading anything about it neither on this board nor on the websites of the different companies.

Just one hint: In Germany you won´t get any soda cans only bottles. And you have to pay a 25c deposit which you get back if you return the bottle. This is very difficult as some supermarkets are selling their own brand and only accept empty bottles of this brand. It´s a bit easier if you stick on major brands like Coca Cola (Pepsi is not as widely spread). This is also valid for bottled water. Juices in cardboard boxes, milk, water in cardboard boxes (I think Vittel is selling this) are coming without any deposit. The German word is "pfandfrei" (without deposit). Read the price signs carefully as it must be marked on the sign if there´s a deposit (Pfand).

So maybe it´s a good idea to stock up your supplies in Vienna.

steamboats

We were on Viking and I have to think the bottled water situation is the same. Outrageous costs at 2.2 Euro ( about $2.80) for a small bottle being sold before tours - I don't even think it was half a litre. I think it was 3.5 or 4 Euro in the cabin - maybe 1 litre bottle.

Buy a bunch of 2 litre bottles, and also buy a small one so you can keep filling it up yourself for tours. On Viking, there was an area in front of the lounge that always had coffee, tea, and cold water in a pitcher. People would fill their water bottles from here too. I'd have to think that Avalon would have the same type of set-up for passangers.

We were on Viking and I have to think the bottled water situation is the same. Outrageous costs at 2.2 Euro ( about $2.80) for a small bottle being sold before tours - I don't even think it was half a litre. I think it was 3.5 or 4 Euro in the cabin - maybe 1 litre bottle.

Buy a bunch of 2 litre bottles, and also buy a small one so you can keep filling it up yourself for tours. On Viking, there was an area in front of the lounge that always had coffee, tea, and cold water in a pitcher. People would fill their water bottles from here too. I'd have to think that Avalon would have the same type of set-up for passangers.

Just got Viking final docs and they say they recommend using bottled water because of the unfamiliar minierals in the tap water even though it is safe.

My question is: On Viking is the water you mention in front of the lounge bottled water and what about the water served at meals?

We are booked on Avalon Tranquility for the July 7 2007 cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam.

Is there bottled water provided daily and do you have to pay for it?.How many bottles a day are you able to get free,if it is free.?

I read somewhere that it was in the cabins but I think it was on another line.

Thanks!

I've got to have my Diet Coke and bottled water and will buy it before we board in Budapest if necessary. I will not pay the outrageous prices on the ship however.

Hi, Although this has nothing to do with your question, I too am going on Avalon (Tranquility) but not til Dec. of 2007. I am interested in hearing your report regarding the ship , food, service etc. when you return (your itenerary is different then ours..we are going on a Christmastime Cruise starting in Prague and ending up in Vienna) I assume that the ship will be wondering being it being so brand new and everthing. Anyway hope you have a woderful cruise :)

We just returned from a Danube cruise on Avalon. The bottled water provided in the stateroom was definitely not free, quite expensive. We drank tap water in our room because we assumed the water provided in the dining room during meals was tap water. Anyway, we didn't have any adverse reaction to the water. Of course, you can always purchase botted water while on shore. Just make sure you have local money for small purchaes.

Just returned from cruising the Danube on Avalon MS Poetry. There were 2 large bottles of water in the cabin for a charge. They also had small bottles for sale as you departed the boat. If you were on a paid excursion, I believe you were given a bottle of water at no cost. We only took one excursion to Salzburg and were given water.

Archived