How should I pack for Canada/New England in JULY ???

Hi!

I need help and right away!

I'm trying to decide what to pack for my Canada/New Englad cruise, which is coming up this Saturday ..... JULY 17!

Coming from the South I cannot comprehend it being chilly enough to wear cold weather clothing ..... but, I'm told that it might be and to pack accordingly. I have only cruised the Caribbean and find that to be a breeze to pack for, but now ......!

First, let me say that in general I am a very warm natured woman (46) and I get hot very easily. I've been this way since I was a child. You can only imagine how much worse it is with the harmones going crazy.

How intense of cold/chilly/windy weather should I be prepared for? I'm already planning on bringing a light weight jacket and 1 or 2 light weight sweaters. I've been told to bring sweatshirts and long sleeve shirts, long pants, etc. Should I be planning on dressing for this kind of weather EVERY day? Do you think that under my circumstances that I can pack lighter for cold weather conditions? Also, can I (hopefully) expect to find some warm weather where I will be happy wearing my shorts and maybe even my bathing suit?

I hate to overpack and every cruise I go on I try to back off, but I know it's going to happen again. Of course, with different seasons you need different shoes .... now THOSE take up a lot of room. (Darn!)

Any help on what to expect and how to pack would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cindy ~ I can totally relate to the hormonal thing (hot and cold flashes) because I'm 47 and post-meno. Having lived in New England all of my life, please be sure to bring a sweater for the evening. It can get chilly. In particular, so far this summer has brought us cool evenings. I have even turned the central air off! I'm not sure what the deal is with the jetstream, but suffice to say that capris and a light sweater may be needed for evening. I hope you enjoy your cruise of New England. It's truly beautiful here, and I love the change of all seasons which we experience! ;) ;) ;)

kcindeaus,

I highly recommend bringing a windbreaker type jacket - preferably with a hood.

In New England, you might be doing some whale-watching and if it's windy, those winds can be chilly and a spray of water would not be unusual either. A hood will help keep your hair out of your eyes and away from the camera lens.

Lightweight wool sweaters are alot warmer than cotton sweaters, and they weigh alot less - something to consider when packing a suitcase full of clothes. Layer a tee shirt underneath when dressing so you can remove the sweater later in the day should the temperatures rise. On our Baltic cruise a couple of weeks ago, I brought two solid colored cable knit sweaters and wore them both a lot during the day's shore excursions.

If you really hate the thought of pants vs shorts, why not buy a pair of those convertible pants? The kind that zip-off above the knee, so you pants become shorts. Companies like Travel-Smith and Tilley sell them. They both sell online and have 2 day delivery options.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

Jane

I was on a C-NE cruise June 16-23. The ONLY place I wore sweater + jacket was in Halifax, primarily due to the wind! Was happy to have the jacket in Bar Harbor up at Acadia Park & Cadillac Mtn., again due to wind, but the temperature down in the harbor was 75! It was warm in Montreal and Quebec City, about 80. We were blessed with beautiful sunny weather.

I would check some weather sites like weather.com for forecasts; it was pretty accurate.

Other people are right. Bring some sweaters and also a pair or two of long pants but don't bring one different outfit for cold weather for everyday. I often wear summer clothes and if I am not sure, I bring a jacket with me. If it is colder than that, I wear jeans but always a T-shirt under my jacket because it can get hot fast sometimes. Layers are what you need.

Thanks to all of you I'm now more comfortable knowing what to pack. I think I have it all under control now. I do appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and/or information on the NE weather, including websites.

Archived