Passport renewal - UPDATE

Sunshine91

A week or so ago we were discussing passort renewals - how long they would take, expedited processing, when to do it, that kind of thing.

John's was due to expire in Feb & we're sailing in Jan. I figured since everybody re-entering the US via air & sea needs to have one come the end of this year, better to send the renewal in now rather than wait until Nov. Well, the passport agency received the application Aug 24. John got his new passport in the mail TODAY. That's right folks, 4 weeks!

His photo on the new passport appears to have been scanned & is embedded on the main page. It's not the actual photo that's been laminated. One of the new photos has been stapled to the old passport that was returned, with "cancelled" stamped on the main page, along with a couple of holes punched. It's kind of sweet to see the 2 photos of John, 10 years apart. :)

I guess the agency has hired more staff in anticipation of the new regs.

Are American passports good for 10 years? Down here it's only 5 and when you renew you have to go through the same procedures as if it was your first.

John and I both have to renew this month so the fun begins.

I'm glad your husband's came so quickly.

Congratulations on your reception of the ID Documents... Is this a Passport Dance now?

:D

Yes having a good administration helped us all in Passports. :D

The USPS does have offices open certain hours for the Passports even thou it is really Quasi Government.. Cheeking the Passport Renewal Hyperlink will guide everyone through it too.

I did send my regular post (First Class) and had the photos taken at a local American Pharmacy .. that cost $4.99

Adding high fees I did not need.

Again personal choice is a wonderful method of selection...

:D

For a new US Passport it is $97 for an adult passport. That does not include the cost of the pictures or an expediting fees if you need to expedite the passport.

At that rate you quote its less than $10 a year.. How much does your State charge for Drivers Licenses, Vehicle Registrations... etc?

:eek:

At that rate you quote its less than $10 a year.. How much does your State charge for Drivers Licenses, Vehicle Registrations... etc?

:eek:

Last time I got a driver's license I think it was $22. I've had my passport for years and am actually on my 2nd one so no complaints about the price from me.

We both renewed our Passports this May. They cost $67 each for renewal for a ten year term.

It took about 7 weeks to get them back and there were no photos stapled into our old passports which were returned to us with holes punched and marked cancelled.

Archived