Rio Carnaval on Celebrity

ISABELLA

Rio is one of the most uncomfortable places I've ever visited. We were constantly being warned not to take anything with us off the ship such as jewelry, cash or credit cards. Many of our passengers were robbed/pickpocketed while off in the city. I felt more safe and comfortable in India and Vietnam than I was in two visits to Rio. Carnivale is very crowded and quite insane. If you choose to go, always stay with a tour and never wander off on your own---at any time.

While on Summit last November our assistant Maitre'd described how he and another crew member were beat up one street away from the ship while in Rio. I was temporarily booked on the cruise but I've switched my booking. The hassle to get a visa to visit a hostile country is not my idea of a good time.

As a frequent business traveler to South America, Rio is one of the most dangerous cities in all of South America (including places in Bolivia and Columbia). The South American Fruit Growers Association used to have their annual meeting in Rio. Two years ago, some of the participants refused to go, stating Rio had just gotten TOOOO dangerous. Now we have it in alternating cities, but NOT Rio.

I, too, am booked on the Carnival cruise. I think I am going to cancel. X can't seem to get their act together regarding the tickets to the Sambadrome. Ask 5 people at X and get 5 different answers. The ONLY reason we were going was to go to the Sambadrome Parade and to have an easily available hotel, transport and some feeling of safety. I purchased my own tickets to the parade on Sept 1. Think we will just fly and take our chances with safety.

Archived