Just back: RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS Review (9/10/06-9/17/06)

monakayk

Thanks for the review! We will be sailing Rhapsody in May--yippee!

About Enterprise car rental--can you drop off the car at the port? If not, where's the rental place and do they have a shuttle to the port? TIA

Chris

We arrived at Houston (IAH) Airport...road the shuttle to Enterprise Rental Office---only about 5 mins. away. Picked up our car there....drove to Galveston. We dropped off our car at the Galveston-drop off office at the below address:

Enterprise

5919 Broadway

Galveston, TX 775514386

(409) 740-0700

They were located less than 15 mins. from the cruise terminal. Their driver took us to the terminal and helped us with our luggage to be picked up by the RCCL porter.

When we arrived back into Galveston after our cruise, the DH walked over to the main entrance of the terminal (next door to the terminal where we dismbarked from the ship) and they had a desk there which you can arrange to have a car on your return to meet you.

The driver for Enterprise was very nice and polite. Please remember to tip him after he drops you off at the cruise terminal. He will help you with your luggage.

Call Enterprise nationwide here: 1-800-261-7331

Price for us was quoted for a standard car for 3 days @ approx.: $56.07

TX Property Tax & Lic Fees 3 Days: $ 3.90

Airport Facility Fees 3 days: $ 9.00

One Way fee: $40.00

Airport Access Fee $11.10

Sales Tax: $16.67

TOTAL CHARGES: $136.74

However, as I mentioned, when our final bill came to us, we were NOT charged ANY one way (drop off) fees and the daily charges were less.

It was stated when I made these reservations that there would not be a one way (drop off) fee with the one day rental we had for the car in Galveston going back to the Houston airport. There wasn't any in our final bill.

Hope this helps out.

:) Happy Cruising!:)

Mona: Thanks for the head's up! I seriously can't wait for one more week. Again, thanks. I read your review of the appetizers that were served at M&M. What kind of drinks did they offer? I would assume that there would be a bar or drinks to purchase?

D :)

We had our M&M in the Moonlight Bay Lounge. They set up a nice, long table-clothed table with appetizers and the only drinks (I saw) offered were Tea and Lemonade. There is a bar you can purchase drinks right around the corner.

It was all done very nicely and privately. RCCL staff refilled the food a couple of times and were on hand in case anything was needed.

As I mentioned there were several types of appretizers...some of the canapés had caviar and salmon mousse, which made the entire affair very festive indeed.

Hi Mona

I am new to CC and have been reading these boards for about a month. We are sailing on Rhapsody in March 07 and I am curious about WINE :) Did you bring any wine on board or have any delivered? If delivered, what company? We have cruised 4 times, starting in 2002. This will be our 2nd cruise with RCCL (first on the Grandeur) and every year, I have always brought 2 bottles of my own *never found on any ship* wine. Obviously with the new rules, I am devastated. We are more a private couple that prefer our wine on our balcony after dinner :( We have a great cabin on our sailing, but I am just about ready to go back to another line over this silly issue...Many thanks, Ann

We did not bring any wine on board. We had tried to set up a delivery from 'Just Because of You-Bon Voyage Gifts', however due to uncontrollable circumstances during our sail weekend, they were unable to fill any orders. You can contact them here:

PO Box 770473, Coral Springs, Fl 33077-0473

1991 NW 55th Avenue, Margate, Fl 33063

954-582-0811 voice / 954-582-0523 fax

800-882-9707 voice/ 800-424-9706 fax

http://justbecause.addictscay.com/

We did not purchase RCCL wine package, however they offer 3 levels of packages. They have this offer in plain view when you enter the ship or near the main dinning room. You can sign up for it then and choose your wines.

As I mentioned in my review of the entire cruise, if you want to have any type of juice in your cabin AFTER the breakfast hours, make sure to order them during that time. We would always fill out the room service card with no less than 4 glasses of juice each because they were very small. In the afternoons or evenings RCCL charges $2.00 per glass of juice with a 15% gratuity!

There is no juice offered in or around the buffet (Windjammer Café) after breakfast. Only lemonade & tea/coffee/water is offered. I am not sure if they charge for lemonade to be delivered to the cabin. We always went to the Windjammer to get ours and drank it around the pool.

:) HappyCruising!:)

Mona, I would love to ask a couple questions! I'm a Coloradan as well. Wish we had some closer options.

Anyway, may I ask how much you paid for the rental car? I was quoted 82.00 Houston to Galvaston and 92.oo back to Houston. Does that sound about right?

Also, which evenings were the formal nights? I am trying to see if we would be back from our excursians in time for our early seating. I prefer late, but I am traveling with kids this time.

Also, how is seating done on the Key West night? I would rather miss dinner in the dining room that a sunset in Key West.

And lastly, which night is lobster night? My boys would love to try it!

Thanks so much for your time!

Char in Littleton

Please see the post titled: Enterprise Rental Info to answer your questions about what we paid.

Formal nights for our cruise was on Monday (Sea Day)-Captains Reception & on Thurs. (Grand Cayman).

The 2nd formal night was also (on our cruise) the Gala Midnight Buffet. We were sort of disappointed that such a huge buffet was on the same night as a formal night, when the main entrées in the dinning room were some of the most elegant. Therefore, leaving us very full...even by midnight! Also, the next day was not a sea day for us. We arrived the following morning at Cozumel and made for a late night buffet with the next early morning very difficult. We would have preferred the Gala Midnight Buffet to have been on the evening when we left Cozumel with a sea day the next. That would, to us, seemed better and more enjoyable.

I am sorry I don't know how the seating in the main dinning room worked while at Key West. We went into Key West and had Conch Fritters at 'Carolines'. Then came back on board for the midnight BBQ at the ship-pool deck. The food was OK at the buffet on deck, but I have to admit I would not rather have come back to the ship and had dinner in the main dinning room instead. I know the food would've been better than the BBQ.

Lobster night was on the 1st formal night: Monday. I was not disappointed with the lobster. So many post have stated that their lobster was tough. I guess we got lucky. Everyone at our table said they loved it. The shrimp with the Lobster was so good too. Many of us also had the Prime Rib. It was wonderful too. The lobster tails are not very large so you are able to eat the Prime rib too, if you skip the salad course...which I did.

On the evening we were in Key West, it was open dining in the dining room...You could sit anywhere you wished and could dine at a time other than your usual assigned time. And I agree, the lobster was WONDERFUL...It was actually the best I have experienced on a cruise!

Thank you so much for your long and detailed reply, Mona! Paula, Thank you for your Key West reply. Thaat will be so perfect to be able to choose that night, as I think I'd miss the sunset every day because of early seating.

Well, you ladies seemed to have had a wonderful time!

Thank you so much for your long and detailed reply, Mona! Paula, Thank you for your Key West reply. Thaat will be so perfect to be able to choose that night, as I think I'd miss the sunset every day because of early seating.

Well, you ladies seemed to have had a wonderful time!

If you want a nice place to view the sunsets on the ship and you don't have a cabin with a balcony...read my post here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=418597

It is a great place to go to view sunsets on the ship away from the crowds and noise.

If you are interested in reading my reviews on the 2 excursions we took and the fashion attire worn during our cruise, click the links below:

Will Recommend 'Capt. Marvin's Tour' for Stingray City

Just Toured: TULUM MAYAN RUINS-9-15-06

Back from Rhapsody of the Seas: Fashion/Attire Observed

Mona,

Thank you for your review! It was great.

We are going on the Rhapsody in Feb. and I have a question about your rental car. After reading your review I phoned enterprise to get a qoute, I received one and they had included the $40 one way fee. I asked them if that fee would be waived and he said no. Do you know who you spoke with? Was it directly with the airport location? I told him that I had come to them on a recommendation from these boards and he asked if you used a promo code???

for next Sunday. This reservation was made in July. This is for an Intermediate sized car. From Houston Hobby to Galveston total charges $69.56 total, with the drop off fee of $40 included in the total of $69.56

From Galveston to HH, same sized car total charges $61.55.

I hope this helps someone. In 2004 there were no drop off charges and boy was it a deal. But, it is 2006 :).

I don't typically take mass transportation(Coach buses) but I found a deal for $58 RT for the BOTH OF US, and at that price I simply could not pass it up.

Marie

for next Sunday. This reservation was made in July. This is for an Intermediate sized car. From Houston Hobby to Galveston total charges $69.56 total, with the drop off fee of $40 included in the total of $69.56

From Galveston to HH, same sized car total charges $61.55.

I hope this helps someone. In 2004 there were no drop off charges and boy was it a deal. But, it is 2006 :).

I don't typically take mass transportation(Coach buses) but I found a deal for $58 RT for the BOTH OF US, and at that price I simply could not pass it up.

Marie

Where and who is this with?

http://www.bookcoachusa.com

The reservation was made in July with a promo code, and unfortunately, I do not recall the code. It expired at the end of July, as I recall. Someone who lives in the area posted it on my Roll Call Thread (Rhapsody of the Seas, Oct 8). Feel free to read over the thread to get the code. I am sure it is expired, but it's possible it may still work. I will post about the transportation company after we return.

Marie

Thank you! I just went to their website and it looks like it is $49 round trip right now for two people. They don't have their schedule out yet for Feb. though. I guess I will have to wait. Did enterprise charge you anything to cancel?

charge a cancellation fee. Also, they did not have any cc info, however, we have used them before, so I did go ahead and cancel just in case.

Wow, I thought $58 was good, $49 is incredible! As I mentioned, I don't typically care for the bus route, but this was just too good to pass up :).

Marie

Thank you! I just went to their website and it looks like it is $49 round trip right now for two people. They don't have their schedule out yet for Feb. though. I guess I will have to wait. Did enterprise charge you anything to cancel?

Must have goofed and not added that second person to the drop down. It is $98 for two. We would need a car for two days since we are flying in two days prior so I think the rental car would be better!

Thanks for the info though. Hopefully someone else can benefit from it.

Mona,

Thank you for your review! It was great.

We are going on the Rhapsody in Feb. and I have a question about your rental car. After reading your review I phoned enterprise to get a qoute, I received one and they had included the $40 one way fee. I asked them if that fee would be waived and he said no. Do you know who you spoke with? Was it directly with the airport location? I told him that I had come to them on a recommendation from these boards and he asked if you used a promo code???

We just got Lucky that the one way fee was waived. Sorry...but you never know.....it could happen to you too!

Archived