Train from Civitavecchia to Rome

Hello, we are just beginning our research for our March cruise. We debark the ship in Civitavecchia, and our flight leaves from Rome. If I'm reading correctly, the train will take about 50 minutes, is that right? It looks like we will choose the train, or a bus, taxi's are way too expensive. Has anyone used the ship's transfers? How much do those cost? Thank you.

The express trains take about 50 mins and the surburban trains 60-80 mins, but these are cheaper, but neither option is more than 10 Euros each way.

I can't help with other options as we've only used the train.

The express trains take about 50 mins and the surburban trains 60-80 mins, but these are cheaper, but neither option is more than 10 Euros each way.

I can't help with other options as we've only used the train.

Yes, but if you must to go directly to the airport, it takes about 2 houres, because one time you reach the Termini station you must change train to Fiumicino Airport(Leonardo Express, 30m from Rome)...so you must add th train from Rome to the Airport (11€) and the train from Civitavecchia (less than 9€)....however is really cheaper than by taxi!! I don't know the bus service...

...one time you reach the Termini station you must change train to Fiumicino Airport(Leonardo Express, 30m from Rome)...so you must add th train from Rome to the Airport (11€) and the train from Civitavecchia (less than 9€)....
I believe you can get a connection at the Trastevere station in Rome, a bit quicker at 1.5 hours, with a total cost still less than 9 euro. You can check the schedules at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html.

Giorgi-one,

Packing just a carryon and one shoulder bag is challenging but it can be done. I've learned to be an extremely light packer.

I only take one dress for formal nights and only pack clothes I can mix and match. And we do laundry a couple loads of laundry. It's certainly not for everyone but this is how we like to travel.

We took the train in each direction on a back to back cruise in May, 2005. It worked quite well, and you can't beat the price. The only concern I had (and will have again in March) is if they schedule a strike. You can research this at www.seekitaly.com and go to "travel alerts". Can you believe they actually schedule strikes! It is good to check so you can make alternate arrangements if a strike is in the works.

The posts earlier are correct in saying that you need to consider stairs when going from Civi to Rome, however we also had to deal with stairs on the trip from Rome to Civi (always at the Civi station). The train is very doable if you can handle the stairs, my advice is to pack light - we each had a medium sized suitcase and a small carryon. The short walk along the beach to the train station is actually quite pleasant and easy to do.

Re purchasing tickets in advance - I wouldn't do this. I had purchased online before the trip but had some problems. When you purchase online you receive a confirmation number which you have to enter into the ticketing machines (at the entrance to Rome termini) and the machines will then issue you a ticket. When we arrived at the Civi station, none of the four machines worked and the line to purchase tickets was huge.

Fortunately, a train official directed us to the small cafe in the station where they sell tickets (I think they only sell tickets for the slower, regional trains). We did this rather than wait in line to get our ticket - a loss of about 4 or 5 Euro since our online ticket was then useless. I think you are better off just purchasing tickets at the stations.

The only other problem we had was in understanding the seating system. I didn't realize that some seats are reserved and there was no way of telling when you entered the car so we were displaced about half way through the trip. If you speak to a ticketing agent (if they speak English) they would probably be able to explain how to read your ticket properly.

How long is drive from Civitavecchia to Rome Airport? How bad is Rome airport if you have to check bags? I have friends who are planning on making an 11;30 AM flgiht from Rome and it appears to me that this will be a challenge. They are planning on having a van pick them up at the port.

We were on the Liberty last May and the disembarkation started just after 6 a.m. If your friends are first off and can get off that early, and have a van waiting, they should be fine. It's about 1 1/2 hours from the port to the airport but you need to get there early as check-in takes awhile.

Archived