Train from Civitavecchia to Rome

My husband and I will do two days post cruise at Rome next May. We are thinking of catching a train from Civitavecchia to Termini and then a taxi for a short ride to our hotel. I vaguely remember some CC members had mentioned there are stairs involved in the train terminal at the port. So how doable is it with lugguage? If not, does anybody know the taxi fare from the port to downtown Rome. I understand the ride is about a hour and a half.

We will arrive Rome on a Saturday and I understand the Vatican Museum closes at 1:30pm (and stop letting people go in at noon) and not opened on Sundays at all. What is our chance of seeing the museum and the Sistin Chapel?

Thank you all!

My husband and I will do two days post cruise at Rome next May. We are thinking of catching a train from Civitavecchia to Termini and then a taxi for a short ride to our hotel. I vaguely remember some CC members had mentioned there are stairs involved in the train terminal at the port. So how doable is it with lugguage? If not, does anybody know the taxi fare from the port to downtown Rome. I understand the ride is about a hour and a half.

We will arrive Rome on a Saturday and I understand the Vatican Museum closes at 1:30pm (and stop letting people go in at noon) and not opened on Sundays at all. What is our chance of seeing the museum and the Sistin Chapel?

Thank you all!

Hi. Haven't been there myself yet (Nov2006) however I can confirm that other posters have said that there are numerous steps to carry luggage up/down at Termini & perhaps Civit stations also. I've read plenty of info on the topic in these pages, so just page through the threads until you find that same topic and you'll find answers to your transport questions. I can't help with your Sistine Chapel question. Enjoy your trip.

You might look at http://www.europeportreviews.com to see the ads for transfer services. You could then post on the Roll-Call for your sailing to get a group to split the cost. I've not made that trip, yet, but you might read some posts or reviews from this year's sailings to see what solutions turned up. There is a link in the Roll-Call for the 11/1/06 sailing of the Grand Princess that has pictures and descriptions of how to go from the exit of the Port to the Civitavecchia Station and on into Rome, including the stop for St Peter's.

Happy Cruising

I don't recall any steps at the Rome end. The concourse is all on one level, unless you wish to take the metro. The platforms are long, but I assume porters are available.

At Civitavecchia, you may have to use the stairs, depending on which platform the train leaves from, but if you allow plenty of time, this shouldn't be a problem, unless you have trouble with stairs.

Speaking from recent experience, the chances are that you will have to lug your bags up and down a flight of stairs at the Civitavechia station when going into Termini. It's a pain. If one of you is not in good shape I don't think I'd do it. The reverse is not the case, IE coming into Civitavechia station. At best you will be sweating which takes the pleasure out of the trip but remember one does not get something for nothing. The train is dirt cheap, any other transfer is very expensive. You can go broke taking taxi's in Italy.

We are planning to take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia in November. We are going with one large suitcase each, no smaller bags or carry-ons so hopefully we'll be able to manage any stairs we encounter. I think a lot will depend on how much luggage you have.

And we plan to walk from the station to the port entrance where there are then port buses to the ship. This has me concerned, too. Some have called that trek 4-5 blocks and some say more like a mile.

This should all be very interesting and I plan on filing a full report as soon as we get back! I'm a 60+ couch-potatoe and if by some miracle I manage to do this and survive, anyone can do it!!!!

we have done this four times. once arriving only, once both ways, once rome to the port and in nov. again we will do rome termini station to the port.

we have taken the port provided shuttle to the port entrance twice. the walk from the port entrance to the train station is one kilometre or less. level ground and since you do not need to hurry, an easy walk.

as you enter the station there are the ticket windows. you want to purchase a nine euro ticket not a 4.50 euro ticket. the cheaper one gives you a seat in a regular car and your luggage is at the end of the car in the luggage racks out of your view. the more expensive ticket gives you a private compartment (actually holds six and if the train is crowded others could join you) and you can keep your bags with you.

you want the express which has one stop only and takes 50 minutes. if you get on the other it is 1:10 to 1:15 and has multiple stops. now the downside. there are no porters in Civiteveccia to be hired. the train always seems to be on track 3 which means down 40 concrete steps go under track 1 & 2 and then up 40 steps to the platform. after you use your inhaler or take your nitro you will be fine. the ride into rome termini is lovely. when you get off follow the crowd. rome termini station is huge, bigger than washington D.C. station even. about halfway towards the front you can exit to the left and catch a cab there.

i suggest you call your hotel before you leave and start the trip, one to confirm that the have you in their system and the other to ask the front desk clerk how much a cab to rome termini should cost with two large bags. that way when the independent cabs try to hustle you (and they will!) you can tell them that the cost is ______ and walk away!

do the train, it is a great adventure!

Just to add, you didn't tell them the Lazio service which Civitavecchia is part of comes in on tracks 25-29 which are off to the side of the main terminal and its about a two block walk from there just to get out the front entrance of Termini. I had a wheel go out late one night and it was a royal pain to somehow lug the suitcase out of the station. No simple answers. Suffer and save a real lot or pay through the nose and get ripped off by a taxi driver. An alternative is to take the ship transfers to Rome but I haven't done this and it is probably a ripoff. PS we stayed in the 4.5 euro seats and just keep the bags with us or out in the vestibule. We designate one of the group to watch them. We use wheeled duffles which saves a lot of room.

Does anybody know how can I buy train tickets on line? Is it possible to buy open time return tickets?

Thanks for any reply.

We bought our return ticket at the station in Civitavecchia - it's a B.I.R.G. ticket (which the agent just handed to us) for 9E. It covers return trip, plus subways and buses in Rome. Be sure to validate your ticket in the machine in the station before boarding, and write your name and D.O.B. on the back of the ticket. (I also took schedules which I downloaded from the Trenitalia site mentioned above.)

The following is really good info if you are planning to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm

We will arrive Rome on a Saturday and I understand the Vatican Museum closes at 1:30pm (and stop letting people go in at noon) and not opened on Sundays at all.

Your information is basically correct. Your only chance for Sunday (and I hope that's the case), is the last Sunday of each month when it is is open 08:45-13:45, ... and free!

Of course the place may be absolutely packed on those days but, "no pain, no gain"!

It is nice knowing others take the budget route like my husband and I do.

We took the train from Rome (I don't remember any steps) to Civitavecchia and did not have any problems. We bought our tickets before we boarded. There were tons of empty seats. Once we got to Civitavecchia, we did have to go up and down steps which are tiring, but we took our time. Then we took a 3 Euro taxi to the ship. Some friends we met on the ship paid $200.00 dollars for a taxi from their Rome Hotel to the ship.

In April we are doing the reverse. We will end up in Civitavecchia and take the train to Rome.

Good Luck

Farm girl,

Thanks for the encouraging words. We are still seriously thinking about taking the train in spite of the steps, especially after find out from my hotel in Rome that a taxi ride will cost around 130 Euro. We seem to always overpack when we go on cruises. May be it's time we travel light just to handle the steps more easily.

Please note that the B.I.R.G. ticket is not valid on intercity trains, just the suburban variety. On the express trains a small supplement is payable, but I'm unsure whether or not it has to be purchased in advance. At Civitavecchia, the clerk normally tells you which platform the next applicable train, for your ticket, departs from, but at Rome it isn't so easy, as it's an enormous station.

We paid the 3 euro supplement for the return trip and sat in a private compartment. It was well worth the extra.

At Civitavecchia, the clerk normally tells you which platform the next applicable train, for your ticket, departs from, but at Rome it isn't so easy, as it's an enormous station.

The Rome Termini is huge - allow about 10 minutes to walk to the track for the train going to Civitavecchia. The signs are in Italian. Translations: 'track' is 'binario' and 'departure' is 'partenza'.

We used the train earlier this month and had no problems . At Civitavecchia, we never had to use any stairs so I guess it depends on the platforms that are available at the time. At Termini the train left from Platform 28 (I think!) which is far away from the main area and entrance of Termini station (about 600m). There is an exit down a side road as you get off the train. If you are catching a taxi, it may be better to take that exit.

Another option, which you may want to find out more about, is catching a bus. After we were dropped by the free shuttle at the Port entrance we were approached by 2 ladies who were offering bus transfers to central Rome. The bus, which looked great, is parked at the entrance to the Port so no lugging of suitcases is required. As we had already committed ourselves to taking the train, we unfortunately did not find out the cost or where the drop off point in Rome was. I also do not know whether this is a regular service.

I don't recall any steps at the Rome end. The concourse is all on one level, unless you wish to take the metro. The platforms are long, but I assume porters are available.

At Civitavecchia, you may have to use the stairs, depending on which platform the train leaves from, but if you allow plenty of time, this shouldn't be a problem, unless you have trouble with stairs.

Since my husband will be 7 weeks post op from major rotator cuff/bicep tendon surgery the stepps/luggage is a consideration for us. We do plan on packing light so the steps are our major concern. Here's my question:

Since we're only considering the train from ROME TO Cititavecchia, according to this post stairs are only a consideration going in the opposite direction from port to Rome. Is that correct? If so, we're up for the adventure and of course the savings!

In any rate, we leave next Week and will be returning on 10/16, so I'll be sure to report back.

Thanks!

Since my husband will be 7 weeks post op from major rotator cuff/bicep tendon surgery the stepps/luggage is a consideration for us. We do plan on packing light so the steps are our major concern. Here's my question:

Since we're only considering the train from ROME TO Cititavecchia, according to this post stairs are only a consideration going in the opposite direction from port to Rome. Is that correct? If so, we're up for the adventure and of course the savings!

In any rate, we leave next Week and will be returning on 10/16, so I'll be sure to report back.

Thanks!

Incorrect, sorry for misleading you.:confused: The Rome Termini is all on one level, but is vast. Civitavecchia station has several platforms (3 or 4) and because it is a through station, access to all but the platform by the ticket office, is by stairways. I didn't see a lift.

not only are there no elevators but no porters that you can hire to lug the bags either. in our four trips, the trains (both directions) were always on track 3 at Civiteveccia. In rome termini it is a long walk but flat from the train to the front. Still, 9 euros each beats 150-200 euros for a cab.

Great information given.

We took the train in both directions. Seems we had stairs in both stations.

I would only add that I highly recommend only taking a carryon size bag each and a shoulder bag that can be slung across the body. Dh and I did this and it worked out great.

Not only are there stairs to navigate but the step into the train is fairly high. We saw many a weary traveller heaving their big bags up that first step.

Would we do it again? Yes and will be doing something similar next year, of course with our carryon size bag.

Great information given.

We took the train in both directions. Seems we had stairs in both stations.

I would only add that I highly recommend only taking a carryon size bag each and a shoulder bag that can be slung across the body. Dh and I did this and it worked out great.

Not only are there stairs to navigate but the step into the train is fairly high. We saw many a weary traveller heaving their big bags up that first step.

Would we do it again? Yes and will be doing something similar next year, of course with our carryon size bag.

Not exactly sure how you can pack clothes for a 10 day cruise with formal nights and 3-4 days post cruise in a carry on bag.

Hello, we are just beginning our research for our March cruise. We debark the ship in Civitavecchia, and our flight leaves from Rome. If I'm reading correctly, the train will take about 50 minutes, is that right? It looks like we will choose the train, or a bus, taxi's are way too expensive. Has anyone used the ship's transfers? How much do those cost? Thank you.

Archived