Luggage-San Juan-Disembarkation

Sailor Gal

After the cruise our departing flight out of San Juan isn't until 3:00 p.m. That's a long time to hang out at the airport.

Any hints or suggetions about what to do with our luggage if we decide to tour around San Juan for a couple hours? On another thread I read about a RCCL program where you can arrange to have your luggage sent on to the airport - but that was dated 12/2005 - times are different now.

What airline are you flying? There are a couple who will take your luggage at the dock for a fee. (I believe they are AA and Delta, $10 pp.)

If I am mistakened about the airlines, I am sure someone will chime in.

There is a place in OSJ that will store your luggage for you. You just give them a tip. http://www.barrachina.com/

Just remember that the airport in San Juan can be hectic. Our last flight didn't leave till around that time, and we just stayed on the ship until they MADE us get off, and then went to the airport until our flight. We had time for a nice, leisurely lunch and then chatted with other cruisers near our gate until flight time.

We had a 3:09 flight. We also did not "hurry" to get off the ship and once at the airport we checked in then went to the lounge/restaurant area and played Texas Hold Em with pretzels for maybe 2 hrs. Then thru security and to our gate.....

Didnt want to feel rushed at the end of our vacation and had been told airport was a zoo.... checking in was definately an experience but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. But we definately hit a lull period and I don't think there was as many people there as usual.

So by the time you get off the ship (lots of line standing) get thru immigrations, get your luggage, get thru customs and then out front and get a taxi and then get to the airport..... well there isnt that much time left over.

I agree with the others. Personally I always always stay over in SJ that night, and then fly out the next day, so we don't have to worry about airport crowds or time.

That said, by the time we get off the ship and are able to get through the lines and get in a taxi, it is well past noon. So if I was headed directly to the airport for an afternoon flight, there would be no side trips on the way since I have heard that the crowds on departure day are horrendous. Best to get there ASAP and get everything checked in. Then if you have some time left, you can relax and enjoy the last few minutes of your vacation. :) Have a great time!!

We were on AA and did the check-in of luggage right at the pier, and had already rec'd our boarding passes onboard the ship the night before. It couldn't have gone smoother, and we had PLENTY of time to kill at the airport for our 1220 flight home to Miami. It sure was nice when we arrived at the airport via taxi to bypass all those waiting in line to check their bags. Well worth the $10 pp the RCCL charges. I would highly recommend doing this if you can. Have fun!

We were on AA and did the check-in of luggage right at the pier, and had already rec'd our boarding passes onboard the ship the night before.

I was wondering if you knew what the earliest your flight could be, and still take advantage of this on American Airlines?

Thanks!

event.png

After the cruise our departing flight out of San Juan isn't until 3:00 p.m. That's a long time to hang out at the airport.

Any hints or suggetions about what to do with our luggage if we decide to tour around San Juan for a couple hours? On another thread I read about a RCCL program where you can arrange to have your luggage sent on to the airport - but that was dated 12/2005 - times are different now.

You don't want to stay on the ship day of disembarkation. The cruise is over once you go to bed the night before. The staff is busy trying to get ready for the "new" guests. I would "highly" recommend the following:

Get off the ship ASAP....regardless of anything.....

1. If you have the opportunity, have your bags sent directly to the airport. No need to plan before the cruise....you will get information during the week of your cruise. My last cruise it was only offered by American Airlines. This is a sweet deal if you can take advantage of it. Cost is minimal.

Do not fret if you cannot have bags sent directly to airport. As a Plan B, once off the ship, have a taxi take you to Barrachina (as mentioned by above poster). They will hold your bags for free. They take tips only. This is also a sweet deal. We have done this twice, and has worked out great. They are very organized and friendly. When your driver drops you off, tell the driver the time of your flight and arrange to have the driver come back to pick you up at Barrachina. The driver will help you with the time, depending on time of your flight. Be sure to be there on time.

You then can relax and enjoy San Juan. We usually go shopping and have lunch. This is low on the hassle factor....don't miss the opportunity to enjoy a couple hours in San Juan!!!!

Note: if you disembark on Sunday, the shops open a little later, I think around 11:00. I would still do this!

IMMN: I don't really agree..... On Serenade you are asked to leave your cabin by 8 a.m. and wait until your group (by flight time) is called.... of course no one is checking your tickets so everyone just gets in line so they can "hurry up" and get off the ship. So then there is a line that snakes around forever and basically you stand in line and inch your way off..... if you have a later flight (but not an evening flight) why not just chill and have a nice breakfast in the dining room and let those who need to hurry hurry hurry get off. I am not saying we were the last ones off by any means....but why break your neck to get off asap - regardless of anything.... you mean like by getting in line before your group is called ? So that those who need to make a flight early run late ?

Since we stayed 3 days/2 nights precruise in San Juan we did not want to stay post cruise.... but I also did not want my vacation to end on a rush here rush there basis either. JMO

ps: Did not like the system of using your flight time to put you in groups for disembarkation..... On Rhapsody we had color tags for luggage and for disembarking.... that way if you were a blue and tried to get off with the reds - no no no. Not sure why they used a different system as it didnt work very well.....

Sorry, I don't like hanging out on the ship day of disembarkation, nor do I like spending any more time than I have to at the airport. Especially, the airport in San Juan. I would just casually get off when you're are called and spend the next couple hours in San Juan. I have always been off the ship by 10:00, usually well before. Also, from my experience in February, the San Juan airport is much less conjested after noon. We cruise out of San Juan every year....this is what works well for us.

Also, from my experience in February, the San Juan airport is much less conjested after noon. We cruise out of San Juan every year....this is what works well for us.

I had an opposite experience in March. We stayed over a day after our Serenade cruise and flew home on Sunday (the same day AOS and Carnival Destiny disembark). We were scheduled for an 8:30 flight which was overbooked. I took a later flight and only watched the airport get much more crowded as the day went on, not better - and the Destiny didn't even make it into port that day.

I was wondering if you knew what the earliest your flight could be, and still take advantage of this on American Airlines?

Thanks!

On my Serenade cruise the earliest a flight could be at was noon.

Archived